Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, Dave. Are you still blocked from the US, or do you have a passport now?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Strube, why aren't they paying you anymore? Did your R.A. or T.A. position expire?

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Strube, why aren't they paying you anymore? Did your R.A. or T.A. position expire?
Well, the GA was supposed to expire in August and I was preparing to do 3 months without pay, but I didn't get a deposit this month so I went in and found out that "oh by the way, they decided to change the terms as they are allowed to do per the GA 'contract' and are using the remaining funds to cover tuition and fees previously paid out, which were originally separate from the monthly stipend." Also there is no chance of extension.

I have been stewing about it greatly since I found out yesterday. I am going to try and sell a bunch of DVDs and music to start, then I may have to start selling other stuff (hopefully not any of my AV gear, but I will do what I have to do, I suppose) so I can pay rent, utilities, and dog and people food expenses. I just don't want to get bound up and not make it to the job which will start as soon as I get a thesis written and defend it and get moved down to the desert. My new wife still gets a stipend, but it is much smaller than mine was and we can almost exactly pay rent with it.

What I need is a couple of HT design jobs like I have had in the past to pay for my gear, but it seems people have backed off on that kind of thing altogether and/or since the local audio store started doing installs they stopped throwing word-of-mouth my way because I am now their competition...

Nothing beats getting screwed. I thought I was somewhat immune to all of this as a student - how naive. :(

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear about that, Strube. That's not cool that they can just stop paying you per some wording in the contract. Are there any other assistant jobs available? If not, let me tell you up front - yes, I do want fries with that. :D

As sucky as it can be, getting a loan to get you through to your job might be a good option. Engineering jobs will usually pay off six months of college expenses fairly quickly. Just don't buy a new car or something. :)

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
There is a huge ant in my living room. It got under the new TV stand before I could trap it under a glass. I think that I'll be sleeping in the chair tonight.

strube

strube

Audioholic Field Marshall
Sorry to hear about that, Strube. That's not cool that they can just stop paying you per some wording in the contract. Are there any other assistant jobs available? If not, let me tell you up front - yes, I do want fries with that. :D

As sucky as it can be, getting a loan to get you through to your job might be a good option. Engineering jobs will usually pay off six months of college expenses fairly quickly. Just don't buy a new car or something. :)
But I want one! ;)

Good call. A loan isn't a bad idea, and student loans are usually pretty nice because I won't have to pay them back or pay interest until I am done with school. I just need to suck it up and give up my debt-free status. I could have it payed off in probably 2 months of work, too.

I plan on going through my financial stuff and see if I can make it on the savings (it may be enough, no debt is the best debt) and if I can't I will probably get one of those loan things.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, Dave. Are you still blocked from the US, or do you have a passport now?
Sadly, no. I don't have a passport yet. Maybe in the next few weeks or so. It's not like I need to cross the border very often. I do like to pop over for dinner at Xochimilco, but I haven't gone much lately because the new regime of DPS at the border is somewhat less than welcoming of legitimate and legal guests to the USA.

Strube, congrats on getting this far without taking on any debt. Getting that far through post-graduate studies without debt is remarkable in itself. I hope things work out for you.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I plan on going through my financial stuff and see if I can make it on the savings.
What's savings? :confused:

Remember a while back you were worried about loosing
that job because you had been making puppies instead of working?
I'm guessing the 'job' must count for some sort of school credit otherwise who would do it?

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I'm working on my schedule at work. When things will be done, etc.

Kinda sleeeeppppyyyyy

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
About fifteen minutes ago, I came to the horrible realization that there is no mail tomorrow. No mail means no blu-rays from Netflix to let me check out my new blu-ray player that is coming today. Darn it. Now I might need to go buy one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I missed this completely. Way to go.
Thanks, Alex! Yeah, I'm pretty excited about it.

Looks like three stores around me have Transformers for about $20 (Target, Best Buy, and Walmart) online, so hopefully the local stores are the same. I was going to buy it from Amazon yesterday for $20, but I remembered Netflix and felt all clever - until I realized this morning that I won't get the discs until Monday. :)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You should own a couple of "show off" BDs anyway so go buy a couple.
About fifteen minutes ago, I came to the horrible realization that there is no mail tomorrow. No mail means no blu-rays from Netflix to let me check out my new blu-ray player that is coming today. Darn it. Now I might need to go buy one.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've convinced my cheap-a** to do just that. :D I'm thinking Transformers (Megan Fox in high def - no way I'm skipping that this weekend :p) and Curse of the Black Pearl.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
The pooch has patiently waited for me to wake up and type here, but now it's time for the walk. Later, all!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have all the Pixar BDs plus Iron Man and a handful of others.
I've convinced my cheap-a** to do just that. :D I'm thinking Transformers (Megan Fox in high def - no way I'm skipping that this weekend :p) and Curse of the Black Pearl.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Way to go on the Avatar Theft Front. How did you get Adam's? I assumed mine came from the internet but Adam's didn't.

I would like to own Iron Man on Blu-ray.

I better get back to work on my bathroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis