Elemental Designs A7-450 Sub Update

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A little bit back Elemental Designs took some time to redesign their A7-450 powered home theater subwoofer. With this redesign they moved forward with the idea of using the power provided by the LT/1300, featuring B&O Ice power module design, and matching it up with a custom hand built 18” driver built right in Iowa. This move, fueled by the desire to advance the platform in a new direction led to a few interesting design changes.

Discuss "Elemental Designs A7-450 Sub Update" here. Read the article.

F

frostbyte

Audioholic
No one else wishes to comment on this beast? Looks like a similar price to the SVS Ultra 13, but no amp provided. I wonder how it would compare given the appropriate amp. You would think it would be much better given the size of box and woofer, but you never know. I'm looking for something better than the 13 as size is not important, but quality output per $.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
No one else wishes to comment on this beast? Looks like a similar price to the SVS Ultra 13, but no amp provided. I wonder how it would compare given the appropriate amp. You would think it would be much better given the size of box and woofer, but you never know. I'm looking for something better than the 13 as size is not important, but quality output per $.
Gotta go DIY then. JL Audio 12 or 13w7 in a ported box with EP2500 and DCX2496 will DESTROY the Ultra. Even a pre-made sub cabinet in a sealed application would fit the bill very nicely....

F

fredk

Audioholic General
If you go to ED the amp is listed as 1300W. On paper this looks like a much more powerful sub than the 13 ultra.

adwilk. ED gives excursion on the driver as 30mm. If thats x-max and its reasonably linear, it will outperform the JL drivers, particularly at the bottom end. Even if that is x-mec, you are going to get enough x-max to give you a lot of displacement. The real question is how well designed the driver is and how much linear travel it has.

Those JL drivers are amazing, but over time, the rest of the market has caught up. For the money, I would go with the Mal-X 18" over the JL drivers if I were to do DIY.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the read. Thanks for going over the improvements.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis