M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
It seems Queensryche is often compared to Floyd. I think Silent Lucidity does sound somewhat Pink Floydish but tell me the start of Eyes of A Stranger doesn't sound eerily like Empty Spaces from The Wall:

By the way, Empty Spaces is the song that when played backwards says 'You have discovered the secret message...send your answer to Old Pink C/O the Funny Farm...'

Last edited by a moderator:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I still listen to the EP, The Warning and Rage for Order on vinyl. I saw them on their Mindcrime tour and got to meet them. They were really nice. I haven't heard anything since Promised Land, but I still consider myself a fan.

Jim
Thanks Jim for posting. It must have been nice getting to meet them. Did you get to hang out with them for a bit? If so, that must have been some experience. Perhaps, one you of those moments you will never forget. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It seems Queensryche is often compared to Floyd. I think Silent Lucidity does sound somewhat Pink Floydish but tell me the start of Eyes of A Stranger doesn't sound eerily like Empty Spaces from The Wall:

By the way, Empty Spaces is the song that when played backwards says 'You have discovered the secret message...send your answer to Old Pink C/O the Funny Farm...'
Yes it does. To the point of copyright infringement. ;);) Okay, maybe not to that point but it does sound similar imho. Both of which are great songs.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Mindcrime stands as one of the five greatest albums ever recorded, up there with Little Earthquakes and Number of the Beast.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Mindcrime stands as one of the five greatest albums ever recorded, up there with Little Earthquakes and Number of the Beast.
Great-thanks for posting. I will be sure to check these out. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Welcome back! Good to see you posting again.
Wow Adam, I don't remember you ever giving me a welcome back........LOL!!!!! :eek::eek: Now my philgoods are hurt..........Lmao!!!! :D:p:D No really, hope all is well my friend. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
Thanks Jim for posting. It must have been nice getting to meet them. Did you get to hang out with them for a bit? If so, that must have been some experience. Perhaps, one you of those moments you will never forget. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil
It was kind of a lucky situation. It was my Junior year, April 1989. My sister had a friend Barb who was an awesome bullshitter. She talked her way back stage at their Green Bay show and lined up backstage passes for their Minneapolis show. My sister and Barb were at UW Eau Claire which isn't terribly far from Minneapolis.

When I heard about it, I threw some clothes in a bag and jumped in my car. I didn't know if I'd even be able to get a ticket but I headed up to Eau Claire. I crashed in my sister's dorm and then a bunch of us drove to Minneapolis the next day.

We first saw them at a record store where they were signing stuff. I still have the Operation Mindcrime cassette with all their autographs on the liner. I eventually did get one of the backstage passes so we got to go meet them after their set. It was probably only for like 5 minutes or so but it was definitely one of the highlights of my young life. I remember that Scott Rockenfield, the drummer, was really funny.

QR was opening for Metallica but we didn't stick around for that. I was a way bigger QR fan at the time.

Jim

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Nice that you got to meet them.

I saw them when they toured with Iron Maiden and Halford back in '00 I think. Maiden was touring for their new album Brave New World. They played mostly older stuff and were excellent.

That was quite a night. I got to see Tate, Halford, and Dickinson - three of the greatest metal vocalists in history - all in one night. And they all blew the roof off the Cuyahoga Falls Music Center.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It was kind of a lucky situation. It was my Junior year, April 1989. My sister had a friend Barb who was an awesome bullshitter. She talked her way back stage at their Green Bay show and lined up backstage passes for their Minneapolis show. My sister and Barb were at UW Eau Claire which isn't terribly far from Minneapolis.

When I heard about it, I threw some clothes in a bag and jumped in my car. I didn't know if I'd even be able to get a ticket but I headed up to Eau Claire. I crashed in my sister's dorm and then a bunch of us drove to Minneapolis the next day.

We first saw them at a record store where they were signing stuff. I still have the Operation Mindcrime cassette with all their autographs on the liner. I eventually did get one of the backstage passes so we got to go meet them after their set. It was probably only for like 5 minutes or so but it was definitely one of the highlights of my young life. I remember that Scott Rockenfield, the drummer, was really funny.

QR was opening for Metallica but we didn't stick around for that. I was a way bigger QR fan at the time.

Jim
Wow Jim, you really lucked out. That is something I would NEVER forget either. Glad you got the opportunity to do that. However, I can't believe you did not stick around for Metallica though! :eek::eek::eek: Thanks for sharing my friend. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Nice that you got to meet them.

I saw them when they toured with Iron Maiden and Halford back in '00 I think. Maiden was touring for their new album Brave New World. They played mostly older stuff and were excellent.

That was quite a night. I got to see Tate, Halford, and Dickinson - three of the greatest metal vocalists in history - all in one night. And they all blew the roof off the Cuyahoga Falls Music Center.
That sounds like quite a night. One of those that you will surely remember. Nothing wrong with that in my book. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Wow Jim, you really lucked out. That is something I would NEVER forget either. Glad you got the opportunity to do that. However, I can't believe you did not stick around for Metallica though! :eek::eek::eek: Thanks for sharing my friend. ;):);)

Cheers,

Phil
No doubt! How does a guy with hair like that not stick around for Metallica :eek: ?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
No doubt! How does a guy with hair like that not stick around for Metallica :eek: ?
Yeah, very good point! What is up with that Jim? ;):p;) Metallica always puts on one h*ll of a show. :D:eek::D

Cheers,

Phil

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'd already seen Metallica. I like their music but I've never been a huge fan. At that time my favorite groups was The Scorpions with Queensryche a close second.

Jim

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'd already seen Metallica. I like their music but I've never been a huge fan. At that time my favorite groups was The Scorpions with Queensryche a close second.

Jim
I understand. Was just messing with you.....LOL!!!! ;):p;) The Scorpions are awesome. I still love the song "Rock You Like A Hurricane". The guitar work in it is just stellar! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

My college band used to do some Queensryche songs. I think Mindcrime is the best written album, but Empire is more commercially viable and got more air play. Jet City Woman was my favorite song forever to sing...

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My college band used to do some Queensryche songs. I think Mindcrime is the best written album, but Empire is more commercially viable and got more air play. Jet City Woman was my favorite song forever to sing...
Interesting Clint. So, do you play guitar? Or, are you a drummer? Just curious is all. ;):);) I have known to do a bit of drumming myself. I can read music and hope to one day learn to play the bass. Basically, I need to learn the chords and the rest should come fairly easily. But, as always I could be wrong. :):p:)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
In College and under many "influences" (cough-cough weed cough-cough) I must have listened to Operation Mindcrime a hundred times trying to figure out who the killer was. I gave up (mostly cause I finished school and had to give up the herb and haven't heard the album since and had to go out and be a responsible citizen. :(

But when I retire in 20 years, I'm gonna light up a big ol Bob Marley sized blunt and put on the CD and once again try and figure out who the killer was. ;)

I also agree Silent Lucidity is an awesome song, not only to test out your speakers, but if having a rough day, to kick back and relax with.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
In College and under many "influences" (cough-cough weed cough-cough) I must have listened to Operation Mindcrime a hundred times trying to figure out who the killer was. I gave up (mostly cause I finished school and had to give up the herb and haven't heard the album since and had to go out and be a responsible citizen. :(

But when I retire in 20 years, I'm gonna light up a big ol Bob Marley sized blunt and put on the CD and once again try and figure out who the killer was. ;)

I also agree Silent Lucidity is an awesome song, not only to test out your speakers, but if having a rough day, to kick back and relax with.
LOL.........Mathew it sounds like you have a plan. ;):);) Well, at least 20-years from now..........Lmao! :D:eek::D Be sure to smoke one for me. :eek::eek:

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis