Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Where has Sensi been?

I've been trying to catch him on AIM, but he never seems to be around :(

It seems like I'm the only one posting tonight :p Either that, or Adam has gone out to walk Nikki and Jamie is off galavanting around LA :p
Sorry, been crazy busy!! Work, then sets every night this week.

I'll logon AIM tonight. What's your AIM addy?

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I don't know what that means.:confused:
This big blue and white sail is a gennaker

Different from a spinnaker, which is a symmetric sail and as such is easier to handle. Spinnaker is normally set on a boom. Because it's symmetric it has no front or back and can be used in any direction.

The gennaker looks a bit like a spinnaker but there's this big difference that the sail is asymmetric, which means the front must always be in the front, understand yes?
The front of the sail is attached to a bowsprit and the back end has a sheet, in which you control the tension of the sail. This is an extremely powerful sail that pull like 5 horses (at least in windy conditions that we had on Friday ), The sheets go two or three turns on a winch, these winches are manual, so some other people will do the grinding on the winches on my command whenever I need to get more tension.... Well, even if we uses winches, this is very heavy and hard work. So I had the pleasure of doing this "work on the sheets from the gennaker" all the way... which is the reason why I now do have an overload tension injury in my left hand... bruises and scratches..... but that's just signs of good sailing :D

I have sailed regattas since I was a little boy, but the gennakers are the most difficult sails I ever encountered....

Exhausted after very hard regatta today, with winds exceeding 30 knots today, tough conditions, big waves, blue sky and sun :D

Let me know if I need to add more explanations... and I will, late now and I need to go to bed.....
Nighty-nighty all :p

And, well sometimes I can't follow my own advice.....

I think it means that he was steering the boat the entire time.
When I wasn't running the gennaker, I was steering the boat :D

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I now do have an overload tension injury in my left hand... bruises and scratches.....
I guess that kills your sex life for the next couple of weeks unless you can train your right hand to get the job done...nothing wrong with a little strange now and then.:D:D:D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I guess that kills your sex life for the next couple of weeks unless you can train your right hand to get the job done...nothing wrong with a little strange now and then.:D:D:D
Thanks but I don't use my left hand, and probably.... somebody else will be doing these things (a lady I mean)..... :p
Hopefully with some band aid and+++ it won't be long until I can do gennaker work again... next regatta on Tuesday, already

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
I loved sailing with my father. Even though he was a hard *** about doing everything just right.
I think I may be quite #¤"*¤ too when sailing regattas and trying to explain how to do things..... but never on leisure trips......

res6jya6

res6jya6

Senior Audioholic
How is everyone tonight?

Nice to see you back, Sensi! I actually may not have enough time to get on AIM tonight. I was going to post a few photos and then head off to bed... gotta get up early tomorrow :(

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
How is everyone tonight?

Nice to see you back, Sensi! I actually may not have enough time to get on AIM tonight. I was going to post a few photos and then head off to bed... gotta get up early tomorrow :(

how much cooling do you need in that room? Looks like you need several tons of a/c cooling to keep everything cool.

vizionut

vizionut

Audioholic General
I think I may be quite #¤"*¤ too when sailing regattas and trying to explain how to do things..... but never on leisure trips......
I can understand what your saying buddy. I was wondering was this a race on just for fun. If it was a race did you win?

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
One of these days I will get there and when I am I'll let you all know about it.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis