Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Closing up to page# 600 in my reading in....
The Definitive Guide to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server :p

Already gone through "Ubuntu Hacks" and "Suse Linux Toolbox" books, the last one I completed while waiting 7 hours in Riga for a connecting flight between Kyiv and Bergen
I use Ubuntu. :)

I used to be a Slackware guy, then I switched to Debian (mostly because of decent package management), now I'm using Ubuntu. I used to hack around and customize everything, now I just install it and use them... emulator to run Solidworks and all my CAD stuff, runs faster than my Windows Vista machine running the stuff native.

I might try a Mac next.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I use Ubuntu. :)

I used to be a Slackware guy, then I switched to Debian (mostly because of decent package management), now I'm using Ubuntu. I used to hack around and customize everything, now I just install it and use them... emulator to run Solidworks and all my CAD stuff, runs faster than my Windows Vista machine running the stuff native.

I might try a Mac next.
Ubuntu is good, better than Vista... :p

Just fixed a broken laptop for a friend... rather than installing windows I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on it, runs beautifully... all h/w detected and the old wireless pcmcia card working right out of the box :D
Now he's gonna use that as a music server with squeezecenter.... I think .....

Switched back to Tom Waits in shuffle mode on Squeezebox, Radio1 not good today.....

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Closing up to page# 600 in my reading in....
The Definitive Guide to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server :p

Already gone through "Ubuntu Hacks" and "Suse Linux Toolbox" books, the last one I completed while waiting 7 hours in Riga for a connecting flight between Kyiv and Bergen
Done with Chapter 30..... only 5 more to go, but I'm not finishing this today :eek:

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
Where am I?
Who am I?
What's my purpose in life?
Is 42 really the answer?:confused:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Where am I?
Who am I?
What's my purpose in life?
Is 42 really the answer?:confused:
YES

Accordingly to hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, 42 is definitely the answer...

But humankind still doesn't know what the question is :confused:

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Ubuntu is good, better than Vista... :p

Just fixed a broken laptop for a friend... rather than installing windows I installed Ubuntu 9.04 on it, runs beautifully... all h/w detected and the old wireless pcmcia card working right out of the box :D
Now he's gonna use that as a music server with squeezecenter.... I think .....

Switched back to Tom Waits in shuffle mode on Squeezebox, Radio1 not good today.....

Yeah, it is. It's nice that Linux isn't a project to install anymore. I used to be more into that stuff than I am now, so, if it was a pain, then I'd probably not use it. But, Ubuntu installers EASIER than Vista, because of the drivers. My Thinkpad I travel with runs Ubuntu, and the battery life is much longer.

I have to use Solidworks and some other Windows software, so, I use emulators. The emulators have gotten pretty good now, where you can't even tell.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, it is. It's nice that Linux isn't a project to install anymore. I used to be more into that stuff than I am now, so, if it was a pain, then I'd probably not use it. But, Ubuntu installers EASIER than Vista, because of the drivers. My Thinkpad I travel with runs Ubuntu, and the battery life is much longer.

I have to use Solidworks and some other Windows software, so, I use emulators. The emulators have gotten pretty good now, where you can't even tell.
Most Windows stuff runs pretty good on Linux with wine, like for instance MS office if you need this....

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Most Windows stuff runs pretty good on Linux with wine, like for instance MS office if you need this....
Yup, I run Solidworks, Fluent (CFD package), MS Office, Photoshop, and a few other things.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You need to work now, don't you :D
I need to continue my reading :eek:

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
b.t.w.....

Have you managed to get Chrome running on Linux with wine?
I have tried this but installer doesn't run.....

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I know the question.
Here is my reasoning:
I read the books back in the 80's. Not sure which book it was, but I'm thinking it was, So long, and thanks for all the fish. It mentioned that there were three main questions to life.

1) Why do we eat?
2) How do we eat?
3) Where shall we have lunch?
4) ???

Add to this that it was lunchtime when the Earth was blowed up. Ford had mentioned that, "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
Then throw in that I was working at IBM at the time. Arguably, one of the biggest computer companies on Earth, which we know is really a huge super computer that was working on the ultimate answer. While there, I was told that lunch breaks are supposed to be 42 minutes long. The logic was that 30 minutes was rushed, but an hour was too long. People would slow down and get out of a working rhythm. 45 minutes was a good time. It gave people enough time to eat and have a smoke. But hey, we don't want people to smoke, so lets make it 42 minutes. So, I present to you, the Ultimate Question To Life The Universe And Everything, as well as the missing 4th main question to life.

HOW MANY MINUTES SHOULD WE TAKE FOR LUNCH?

My only regret is that I never sent this to Douglas Adams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis