Why is my receiver getting warm with a separate amp?

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
This is weird... I am running an Acrurus A100x3 amp through my Marantz SR4002 receiver to 2 tower speakers and a center. I am not running any surround speakers whatsoever. So why is my Marantz receiver still getting warm with music? I have the amp hooked up right and everything. Any ideas why this is happening?

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
This is weird... I am running an Acrurus A100x3 amp through my Marantz SR4002 receiver to 2 tower speakers and a center. I am not running any surround speakers whatsoever. So why is my Marantz receiver still getting warm with music? I have the amp hooked up right and everything. Any ideas why this is happening?
The electronics are still "running" so the receiver is going to put out heat. Is it warmer, or about the same as before your started running the external amp?

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
I would say its about the same as when I was running the speakers with the receiver. No matter what I throw at that Acurus amp though it is barely noticably warm. And I can tell a big difference in the sound quality. Thanks! I was thinking the receiver wouldn't get warm anymore, glad thats cleared up.

croseiv

croseiv

Audioholic Samurai
I would say its about the same as when I was running the speakers with the receiver. No matter what I throw at that Acurus amp though it is barely noticably warm. And I can tell a big difference in the sound quality. Thanks! I was thinking the receiver wouldn't get warm anymore, glad thats cleared up.
Same with my XPA-5. It barely gets warm after hours of moderate levels of listening, while my receiver is just as warm as it was before. I am running my surrounds off of it though.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
My Pioneer still got hot when I wasn't running any speakers from it, too. I am curious about what percentage of the waste heat is due to the amplifier circuits in the receiver.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Electricity causes heat.Even if your amp is taking the brunt of the power load your AVR is still running. Adam I would assume that if you are not running your speakers at full volume the waste from heat is probobly 40% or so I am guessing.........

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Any time current flows, some of the energy is wasted and since energy can't be created or destroyed, it must change forms. Wasted energy is usually turned to heat. There's no such thing as a 100% efficient device but with more heat sinks and better design, some amps run far cooler than they used to.

N

nitin_mehra20

Audioholic
Same with my XPA-5. It barely gets warm after hours of moderate levels of listening, while my receiver is just as warm as it was before. I am running my surrounds off of it though.
The same case is with my Onkyo. My XPA -3 runs warm but my Onkyo is heating up the same way as before.

The heat is basically being produced my the Reon Video processor chips and audio processor chips.

Whether you use audio or both, you inadvertently end up using these chips and hence the heat.

So don't worry about it :)

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
My vision of logic.

I believe that power amplifiers should be mate with pre/pros.

That's the whole point.

A/V Receivers with preouts for all channels are overated in my opinion.
You buy an A/V receiver for it's power amp, preamp and tuner section; now with it's video, auto room EQ and Ethernet section too.
With these newer receivers full packed jammed of DSPs, Dacs, Audio decoders and processors, Video upscalers and processors; they run hot enough without their power amp section.
What's the use to relieve your new receiver by adding external amps?
Buy one for it's power first, then it's preamp section and it's features.

If you want more power, buy a power amp with a pre/pro.

That's how I see it.

Bob

I

Inertia

Full Audioholic
I will be running surround speakers off of my receiver when I get them. I don't think surrounds need much power anyway.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I will be running surround speakers off of my receiver when I get them. I don't think surrounds need much power anyway.
That's what I do. I have two amps, but I'm currently only using one of them (a two-channel amp) - so I run my center and two surrounds from the receiver. With the load of the front main speakers shifted to the amp, the receiver handles the other speakers just fine.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I believe that power amplifiers should be mate with pre/pros.

That's the whole point.

A/V Receivers with preouts for all channels are overated in my opinion.
You buy an A/V receiver for it's power amp, preamp and tuner section; now with it's video, auto room EQ and Ethernet section too.
With these newer receivers full packed jammed of DSPs, Dacs, Audio decoders and processors, Video upscalers and processors; they run hot enough without their power amp section.
What's the use to relieve your new receiver by adding external amps?
Buy one for it's power first, then it's preamp section and it's features.

If you want more power, buy a power amp with a pre/pro.

That's how I see it.

Bob
A pre/pro that sports the same features as many receivers will cost considerably more than a receiver. For example. The Yamaha RX-V3800 has a very good pre/pro section. Good DACs with minimal error, low noise floor, and seemingly endless processing features. There isn't a preamp you can go buy that will compete with it for twice the price.

IMO, pre/pros are overrated.:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Any time current flows, some of the energy is wasted and since energy can't be created or destroyed, it must change forms. Wasted energy is usually turned to heat. There's no such thing as a 100% efficient device but with more heat sinks and better design, some amps run far cooler than they used to.
This is the best answer to your question. Just because the receiver isn't outputting to speakers doesn't mean it will not continue to operate normally. The power supply (transformer specifically) stores engergy. With no where to go that current warps around inside the transformer which will produce heat. So instead of the transistors producing a bulk of the heat the transformer is producing it.

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
A pre/pro that sports the same features as many receivers will cost considerably more than a receiver. For example. The Yamaha RX-V3800 has a very good pre/pro section. Good DACs with minimal error, low noise floor, and seemingly endless processing features. There isn't a preamp you can go buy that will compete with it for twice the price.

IMO, pre/pros are overrated.:D
How much was or is the Yamaha RX-V3800?

The Onkyo PRO PR-SC885P was $529 and is now $799.
And the 885 with superior Dacs (TI PCM-1796a), toroidal transformers, Audyssey MultEQ XT ( PRO capability), THX Ultra2, superior internal parts all over, HQV Reon video processor, VLSC for all channels, Balanced outputs for all channels and Balanced inputs for Stereo source, etc., etc., is much better that the Yamaha receiver RX-V3800, and probably cheaper too.
Oh, and by the way, the best deal right now for the current model Yamaha RX-V3900 is $1,299, and the Onkyo current model PRO PR-SC886P is $999, which adds a ton more very cool features. And guess which one I will mate with an external amp(s)?

So, what was it you were saying? ;)

Bob

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
How much was or is the Yamaha RX-V3800?

The Onkyo PRO PR-SC885P was $529 and is now $799.
And the 885 with superior Dacs (TI PCM-1796a), toroidal transformers, Audyssey MultEQ XT ( PRO capability), THX Ultra2, superior internal parts all over, HQV Reon video processor, VLSC for all channels, Balanced outputs for all channels and Balanced inputs for Stereo source, etc., etc., is much better that the Yamaha receiver RX-V3800, and probably cheaper too.
Oh, and by the way, the best deal right now for the current model Yamaha RX-V3900 is $1,299, and the Onkyo current model PRO PR-SC886P is $999, which adds a ton more very cool features. And guess which one I will mate with an external amp(s)?

So, what was it you were saying? ;)

Bob
I guess the Onkyo slipped my mind. I am not counting the Emotiva since it's still smoke and mirrors. The Onkyo is really the exception, I can think of no other that offers such tremendous value.

Regardless, in terms of SQ in analog particularly, the Yamaha is plain neutral (an attenuator with switching).

Lordoftherings

Lordoftherings

Banned
Audyssey is digital, PCM-1796a Dacs are digital, DSP TI AUREUS chips are digital.

Regardless, in terms of SQ in analog particularly, the Yamaha is plain neutral (an attenuator with switching).
Analog in a Digital age?

HDMI is digital, Coaxial is digital, Optical is digital.

How many sources are you using from the analog inputs? Tuntable? Cassette deck player? VHS VCR or S-VHS VCR recorder? CD player with inferior Dacs?

And vs that number, how many do you use from the digital inputs?

In 2009, which section of a receiver or a pre/pro should be more attended to?

Yep, that's what I also thought... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis