DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jongaro

Junior Audioholic
I wouldn't order anything from them unless it was in stock and you could verify shipment independantly in time to stop payment if they do not ship when promised. Nobody but MLS and crew know the true situation and their recent history is not good.

Caution is in order and yes, there are plenty of other manufacturers out there that make excellent speakers.
I don't know if there really are. These days, you can get the rs850's for a steal and they are a excellent sounding loudspeaker.

Pre-orders and the mfw debacle are what we are talking about here in terms of frustrations. Myself included.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I wouldn't buy anything from them nor would I recommend their products. They decided to fraud people out of money and have questionable business practices. If you support this company you are supporting bad business practices. I'm sorry, but there are many other speaker makers out there. And I don't see them screwing people. If they want to repair their reputation they have a lot of work to do.
I'm not sure how you are qualified to make this statement given the fact that you don't own their products... at least from your signature. If I am correct, you are simply someone jumping on the band wagon, fanning the flames, and basing your opinions on what you've read, not experienced.
huh? someone has to get screwed before he can make an opinion that it's not good to invest in something?

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
I'm not sure how you are qualified to make this statement given the fact that you don't own their products... at least from your signature. If I am correct, you are simply someone jumping on the band wagon, fanning the flames, and basing your opinions on what you've read, not experienced.
Well thank goodness he didnt have to experience it like the others that did. The whole purpose of a forum is to help inform people of such things so maybe he just read a couple of hundred posts that just might help others make informed choices. He is definitely qualified to make the statement just as it reads. ;) Besides you would not see the product in his signature because he would still be waiting for it , right !!

E

exander

Audioholic Intern
Exactly. A lot of that going on here. A lot of actual libel going on here too.

J

jongaro

Junior Audioholic
I think it is frustrating to see people who don't have the products or experienced the issues putting their two cents in. sure people have been warned to be careful, and I get this. but what is the good of the people who pile on with speculation and bashing when it doesn't help inform potential buyers? is it that they have no lives and want to be heard by someone, even if they are pulling stuff out of their ass?

It would be better to see people who own the product or have issues posting so that we know they are getting taken care of. instead we must wade through page after page of crap to determine what is really going on with people.

E

exander

Audioholic Intern
I think it is frustrating to see people who don't have the products or experienced the issues putting their two cents in. sure people have been warned to be careful, and I get this. but what is the good of the people who pile on with speculation and bashing when it doesn't help inform potential buyers? is it that they have no lives and want to be heard by someone, even if they are pulling stuff out of their ass?

It would be better to see people who own the product or have issues posting so that we know they are getting taken care of. instead we must wade through page after page of crap to determine what is really going on with people.
I wonder how many people who truly had problems have posted to this thread. . .

C

calnbs

Audioholic
From a lot of the website that I have read over the 2+ year span, I have come to the conclusion that a lot of people hate AV123 as much as there are people who loves AV123. For the life of me, I can't understand all the hate...especially before all this LS and MFW customer service down hill.

For me, if I am going to disrespect a company and it's product....my freaking azz better be able to walk the talk. I told my brother that PC computers from Dell, HP, etc are over price crap but I put my money where my mouth is....I built a DIY PC clone for him with a better spec/hardware and still save him $500. A similar PC without the Dell name cost him $1700, while Dell's was at $2,200. My opinion is if you gonna call someone out, better put your money where your mouth is.

I recall reading someone spent countless times pooping on AV123 thread and how lucky he felt not buying a MFW 15 because of its failure rate but was extremely glad that he spent his money at eD and glad to receive a dead eD subwoofer? I mean...WTF? LOL...some people just have too much time on their hands. It's just weird that people continue to poop on a thread but owns nothing and has no reason to poop in that thread in the first place but still spend hours doing it. Ecost.com have horrific ratings but I don't spend every single second pooping on them...why? because I don't have any experience with them and I simply have better things to do....my .02 cents.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
Its a thread in an open forum so you're gonna get what you're gonna get.

I post from the perspective of someone who has seen 'the wheels fall off' with several companies. You get a feel for certain behaviors and what it might mean. The types of issues people report and the types of responses they got from both MLS and AV123 are consistant with a company that has lost control of its operations and was going through cashflow difficulties.

Proceed with caution is a reasonable comment under the circumstances.

You could argue that people who have had good experiences in the past and own products from this companies should not be listened to because they are biased. We all have biases.

If I was looking for speakers I would be tempted to buy the Rockets because they are a good deal, but it would be with the expectation that I am on my own if I had problems or wanted to return the speakers.

FWIW, a deal that is too good to be true happens for three reasons: stolen goods, its too good to be true, its a fire sale.

Read the posts and make your own decisions.

Matt34

Matt34

What's really frustrating is that this kind of thing happened before under a different company that MLS owned but a lot of people here, including myself never knew about it till after this latest debacle came about.

ID companies live by word of mouth advertising, if they're customer base is happy the company is the best thing since sliced bread, if they screw them over......well, we're seeing it transpire now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
they have no lives and want to be heard by someone, even if they are pulling stuff out of their ass?
Wow, you are a mind reader. Something was just coming out of my a$$ and I was fixin' to whip it at your head but I have given out too much rep today. :D

D

dliquin

Audiophyte
You shouldn't feel frustrated...

Just because what they seem to be saying is: "You might be too stupid or lazy to read this thread or any others about av123, but I'll save you from making a mistake by giving you my informed opinion on the matter. By the way, I don't have any direct experience but I can read better than you can and my reasoning and logic is far superior to yours as well. Just take my word for it. Oh and if you see some people that disagree with me - ignore them because they're not as smart as me either. Or they're biased because they drank some kind of special kool-aid. Trust me, I know."

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I just want to thank a certain 3 members with > 10 years and < 100 posts between them for all stopping by at once to tell us what a bunch of useless crybaby wankers we are and what we should and shouldn't be posting. Don't loose hope though, the forum changes and my presence is indicative of a downward slide but maybe it will do a turn around soon and you'll be able to come back in the near future to give the posters of that time a pat on the head for posting in a manner that you approve of.

A

ack_bak

Audioholic
You shouldn't feel frustrated...

Just because what they seem to be saying is: "You might be too stupid or lazy to read this thread or any others about av123, but I'll save you from making a mistake by giving you my informed opinion on the matter. By the way, I don't have any direct experience but I can read better than you can and my reasoning and logic is far superior to yours as well. Just take my word for it. Oh and if you see some people that disagree with me - ignore them because they're not as smart as me either. Or they're biased because they drank some kind of special kool-aid. Trust me, I know."
That is not how I am reading this thread at all. People have had some bad experiences recently with av123. Whether it be bad subs due to manufacturing defects that made it through av123 QA testing (assuming they are testing), product delays (after taking people's money and money up front), money issues, people not getting answers to emails sent to av123's customer service, and the CEO of the company selling B-stock items on the side (using the av123 forums) via paypal and then not actually shipping the items until people start opening threads, contacting paypal, etc.

This is not some fantasy made up by people who are plotting against av123. These things have happened. Hell, even MLS himself has posted open letters on his own forum describing the recent issues and how they are trying to work through them. Why do you think they have shut down their own forums on their site and have prevented people from posting in them? My guess is that they know that a number of people are unhappy and are trying their best to fix things before opening the forums back up and people start bashing them.

Clearly something is up at that company. I think people should be allowed to make an informed decision when purchasing internet direct products. Clearly some people are very happy with recent purchases there. But I still would point people to this thread and would tell them to read it before making a purchasing decision with av123 at this time. And I sure as hell would only buy in-stock items that have a good record of being defect free and would only buy using a credit card and would stay clear of dealing with MLS in any way directly.

D

dliquin

Audiophyte
That is not how I am reading this thread at all. People have had some bad experiences recently with av123. Whether it be bad subs due to manufacturing defects that made it through av123 QA testing (assuming they are testing), product delays (after taking people's money and money up front), money issues, people not getting answers to emails sent to av123's customer service, and the CEO of the company selling B-stock items on the side (using the av123 forums) via paypal and then not actually shipping the items until people start opening threads, contacting paypal, etc.

This is not some fantasy made up by people who are plotting against av123. These things have happened. Hell, even MLS himself has posted open letters on his own forum describing the recent issues and how they are trying to work through them. Why do you think they have shut down their own forums on their site and have prevented people from posting in them? My guess is that they know that a number of people are unhappy and are trying their best to fix things before opening the forums back up and people start bashing them.

Clearly something is up at that company. I think people should be allowed to make an informed decision when purchasing internet direct products. Clearly some people are very happy with recent purchases there. But I still would point people to this thread and would tell them to read it before making a purchasing decision with av123 at this time. And I sure as hell would only buy in-stock items that have a good record of being defect free and would only buy using a credit card and would stay clear of dealing with MLS in any way directly.
The point I was (sarcastically) trying to make:

I have no problem with people posting their experiences - GOOD or BAD. Reality is reality. But who are the other experts that are chiming in with their opinions? Why is their opinion even necessary? If I were reading this thread to try to be an informed consumer, probably 80%+ of the posts are from people that don't have any direct knowledge or experience and are just piling on.

(I'm not referring to you personally - maybe you have some direct experience with av123)

E

exander

Audioholic Intern

I have no problem with people posting their experiences - GOOD or BAD. Reality is reality. But who are the other experts that are chiming in with their opinions? Why is their opinion even necessary? If I were reading this thread to try to be an informed consumer, probably 80%+ of the posts are from people that don't have any direct knowledge or experience and are just piling on.

(I'm not referring to you personally - maybe you have some direct experience with av123)
Amen. :D
I've been pushing Reseller Ratings for anybody who feels that the got a bad deal from AV123. That site confirms the purchase before a review can be posted. Use it if you're unhappy!!

A

ack_bak

Audioholic

I don't have any direct experience with av123 outside of listening to their speakers on several occasions. I used to recommend their gear all the time in the past but try not to right now because of the current state of their company.

Like I said, many of their problems have been laid out in open letters by their own CEO. And I am sure that is the feel good sanitized version as well. I don't know what will happen to av123. I do know that they make kick *** speakers at a great price. But so do a half dozen other companies that I can think of off the top of my head.

And this is an open forum with many knowledgeable people. Everyone has an opinion and should be allowed to share it whether they bought av123 gear or not.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
Thats why we are all here,its a FORUM to INFORM others to help friends with their audio needs,advise with information gathered here and elsewhere everything is public knowledge anyway,also some nimrods have no clue as to what other persons experience with said company is.One does not have to own the equip. to have experience with the company and or knowledge of the product and or availability.

F

fredk

Audioholic General
80%+ of the posts are from people that don't have any direct knowledge
Actually, when it comes to what is really happening, 100% of the people posting here have no direct knowledge - unless someone working for AV123 is posting under an assumed identify.

Those who own speakers have direct knowlege of how the speakers sound. That does not make them more qualified to comment on the current state of operations.

Those with past dealings with AV123 can knowledgably comment on the companies past performance

I have lived through business failure both from the inside and the outside and I can post knowlegably about how companies behave as they fail.

Its all about understanding the context of each post.

Everyone is free (and should be) to post their opinions and experiences and they are also free to accept or reject the proposition of any given post.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
What's your position on the many people who don't own their products yet chime in and say something, "I've heard that the MFW sub from AV123 is great." or "AV123 customer service is great."?

As to whether there are in fact libelous statements, MLS ought to count himself lucky that he hasn't been sued, that there hasn't been a class action suit brought, that the relevant agency that issues him a business licensce in the state he operates in hasn't long since been informed and his license to operate revoked.

majorloser

majorloser

Maybe I should just ban the next person that mentions Reseller Ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis