Warner Offers Red2Blu HD DVD Trade-in Program

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Warner Bros, the company HD DVD adopters love to hate, has finally done something worthy of some consumer loyalty. Warner Home Video has announced the launch of "Red2Blu," which offers HD-DVD owners the opportunity to upgrade their Warner Home Video releases on HD-DVD for a Blu-ray Disc of the same movie. It's not free, but it's close. For only $4.95 plus shipping and handling, it's a nice way to get some bargain-priced Blu-ray discs to replace the HD DVDs you early adopters nabbed when the format war was still raging. We tried it - it works.

Discuss "Warner Offers Red2Blu HD DVD Trade-in Program" here. Read the article.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This kind of reminds me of the mail-in-rebates.:D

1) will your mail get lost?
2) will the processing people screw up?
3) how long will it take before you get your blu-rays? 8 weeks?:D

Since I have HTPC, 2 HD DVD/BD combo drives, AnyDVD HD software, I just copy all my HD DVDs into my Hard Drives and play them back without the need of an actual HD DVD player.:D

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
im not trading up:D hell my displays to a graet job with 4801 singnals:D

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
I think this is pathetic.

I am still buying HD-DVD's. Just got Miami Vice for $5 new from amazon!

There are some HD-DVD's that are actually better in audio or video than there blu-ray counterparts.

I still think HD-DVD was a more superior format, but like Beta.. things just didnt work out :(

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
And once again, it's as though customers in the rest of the world (particularly Canada in my case) don't count!

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Hmmmm I own about 150 HD-DVD's (which I love) now if I buy 25 replacements it would cost me roughly 160.00. But considering I have four HD-DVD players two barely used and two still new in boxes as backup, I think their only a few I would want to buy only because the HD-DVD came with the lossy audio instead of the Lossless audio (but that is just a few discs) but is something to think about.

tn001d

tn001d

Senior Audioholic
Hmmmm I own about 150 HD-DVD's (which I love) now if I buy 25 replacements it would cost me roughly 160.00. But considering I have four HD-DVD players two barely used and two still new in boxes as backup, I think their only a few I would want to buy only because the HD-DVD came with the lossy audio instead of the Lossless audio (but that is just a few discs) but is something to think about.
A lot of people make the argument about lossy vs lossless. If you take Casablanca and release it in DTS MA on Blu and Dolby Digital Plus on HD-DVD chances are its not going to sound any different. Just because its encoded at a higher bit rate wont translate to an audible difference in sound quality.

And once again, it's as though customers in the rest of the world (particularly Canada in my case) don't count!
Did you say something? It's like I heard something, but just barely.. like a whisper... or a gnat farting... must have been a Canadian*.

*this post was meant in jest, if anyone is offended by this post please apply negative reps as needed to alleviate the pain.

T

tcarcio

Audioholic General
Why in the world would I want to switch out a movie I already have and pay them a fee to do it???????:confused::confused:

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Don't blame Warner... Blame Canada!

Cost vs Opportunity

To extend this deal to Canadian customers would require additional expense for Warner. There are licensing considerations and I'm sure others. Postal, currency exchange etc - etc. All for a country that ads an additional business opportunity about the size of many states (we don't know how many HD DVDs were sold in Canada but presumably fewer per-capita than in the US).

I'm sure Warner would cut off (let's say) Florida if that state had a bunch of additional requirements before movie on discs could be shipped by mail for a small fee into the Sunshine State.

Remember, you might not get streaming Internet based video and music content. Your Online Movie and television entertainment choices are limited to NIL. You might not even get the favorable mail order deals on entertainment Americans take for granted.

But Canada has the CBC (Ministry of Information) and the CRTC protecting its "distinct" culture from American takeover. That you're protected from things like HD DVD - Blu-ray exchange services and streaming online Movies on demand - is why you pay taxes. So rejoice, you just proved the system you paid for works!

So, kick back and crack open a Molson and listen to some Tragically Hip or that "If I had a Million Dollars" Barenaked Ladies song again and ask then ask CBC what you should really think about Canadian Content legislation.

majorloser

majorloser

Funny thing is you get to keep the HD-DVD's. They only want the cover art sleeve sent back.

Just send me the HD-DVD and cases :p

(Wayde, stop picking on us Floridians)

W

Wildgift

Enthusiast
Don't blame Warner... Blame Canada!

Cost vs Opportunity

To extend this deal to Canadian customers would require additional expense for Warner. There are licensing considerations and I'm sure others. Postal, currency exchange etc - etc. All for a country that ads an additional business opportunity about the size of many states (we don't know how many HD DVDs were sold in Canada but presumably fewer per-capita than in the US).

I'm sure Warner would cut off (let's say) Florida if that state had a bunch of additional requirements before movie on discs could be shipped by mail for a small fee into the Sunshine State.

Remember, you might not get streaming Internet based video and music content. Your Online Movie and television entertainment choices are limited to NIL. You might not even get the favorable mail order deals on entertainment Americans take for granted.

But Canada has the CBC (Ministry of Information) and the CRTC protecting its "distinct" culture from American takeover. That you're protected from things like HD DVD - Blu-ray exchange services and streaming online Movies on demand - is why you pay taxes. So rejoice, you just proved the system you paid for works!

So, kick back and crack open a Molson and listen to some Tragically Hip or that "If I had a Million Dollars" Barenaked Ladies song again and ask then ask CBC what you should really think about Canadian Content legislation.
I love that song! Thanks, Canada! :)

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
Yeah we get to pay a fee to replace movies we already own and you Canucks get awesome beer. Quit yer bytchen!!! :p

Agree "Blame Canada" is a great song, but not as good as "Hello Uncle F'er" :D

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Did you say something? It's like I heard something, but just barely.. like a whisper... or a gnat farting... must have been a Canadian*.

*this post was meant in jest, if anyone is offended by this post please apply negative reps as needed to alleviate the pain.
Darn Canadians.
They already have Government funded healthcare, the Blue Jays, and Celine Dion. Now they want Blu-Ray as well. What next? Tom Cruise? :confused:

As Clint said if any one is offended by this post feel free to apply neg points to Clint. :rolleyes::D

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
I guess I just have to take solace that all the TV shows and movies are being filmed in my proverbial backyard. I may not be able to watch the finished product via streaming, download or a reasonable Blu-ray price, but I can go drink a nice strong beer with the movie stars themselves, so I guess that's something :p

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Darn Canadians.
They already have Government funded healthcare, the Blue Jays, and Celine Dion. Now they want Blu-Ray as well. What next? Tom Cruise? :confused:
trade ya?

You can keep Celine down in Vegas. We've got a cottage a few miles outside Whitehorse for Tom Cruise. :)

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I actually don't see anything wrong with this. I have nearly 200 (probably more) HD DVD's. I would venture a guess that 60-70 of them are Warner titles.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to get the Blu versions of remasters/re-encodes like Full Metal Jacket and The Perfect Storm. With Warner, there's no sound upgrade as with Universal. But, there are a few titles where the Blu is slightly better or has different extras (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix). This gives HD DVD owners a chance at a nominal cost upgrade.

Besides...one can always sell the Blu copies and make a profit! :p

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I guess I just have to take solace that all the TV shows and movies are being filmed in my proverbial backyard. I may not be able to watch the finished product via streaming, download or a reasonable Blu-ray price, but I can go drink a nice strong beer with the movie stars themselves, so I guess that's something :p
I was in Peterborough a coupla summers ago and walking the main street (Water) I realized there were Ann Arobor "things" it was wierd. There was a fake label on a bookstore that said Ann Arbor, there was an American mail box and a row of Michigan plates on the street. I was kind of freaking out.

THen I saw a crowd and a camera and Samuel L Jackson talking to that kid who was Darth Vader in the new Star Wars movies. I was able to walk pretty close before guys with cards-on-strings were obviously keeping people back.

It was kind of neat, but they were filming that stupid movie Jumper. When you watch it in front of you it's funny how much makeup they wear. I mean that Vader kid (Heyden I think) looked like a creepy doll or something with his face caked brownish and thick black all over his eyes. In real life it looks creepy. Somehow on screen it just looks "glamorous" and I guess that's why everybody is so "beautiful" on screen.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis