Happy Hacking Keyboard PRO 2

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General

$250... but I use the crap out of my computer, and my old IBM M2 seems to be the cause of my compter refusing to boot on startup.
I love the buckling spring keys on the M2, and it has a rather small footprint. But, like other keyboards on PS/2, I seem to have problems with multiple keypresses being rejected by the system.
USB SHOULDN'T have these problems, as it has a faster data rate, but at the same time, it also depends on the multiplexer in the keyboard.

So, as far as a typing keyboard, the HHK should be great. It'll be smaller than my M2 and since I don't use the num pad anyways, who cares. But, $250 is a lot of money for a damn keyboard.

I don't want the "Lite" version, as it's a membrane type, and I all-ready have a great membrane keyboard; an old Microsoft Internet keyboard:

Don't laugh. Next to my M2, it's a great keyboard in it's own right, and I can type almost as fast on it as I can the M2.

But, I won't spend the $65 for the "Lite" as it's a membrane; I have the Microsoft keyboard for free.

So, the questions:
1: Should I get it?
2: Any other keyboards (besides Das Keyboard and the ones with Cherry Keyswitches) that have buckling keysprings (Except the original IBM M1, which I might just get)
3: Which ones do not have problems with multiple key presses (because I DO game, but not as much as I type).

No laptop type keys. :D

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
For normal typing do you really need the ability to press many keys at once?

The only times I lack that feature is when gaming. But for that I use the Ergodex DX1.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
Wow, that has been by far the most "over my head" post I've ever read on audioholics. And to think I thought all keyboards were created equal? Where's the "any" key on that thing?

shenaniganz

shenaniganz

Junior Audioholic
Wow, that has been by far the most "over my head" post I've ever read on audioholics. And to think I thought all keyboards were created equal? Where's the "any" key on that thing?

x2 :confused:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
lol, I don't understand anything he said either. yetti, I am not a gamer at all, at least with anything that requires a keyboard, but after asking THE computer guru among my personal friends, he recommended Razer to me. I picked up a Lycosa. It probably looks cheezy to most, but it's the nicest keyboard I've ever owned. I have no idea what a membrane keyboard is, or if it has buckling springs.

I do know that I prefer a "shorter throw". The keys are rubberized. Sometimes I type fast enough on other keyboards to induce ghosting, and that drives me nuts. I never have with this one. My brother's was pretty bad, and I would end up cussing like crazy at it. So I bought him one too. Then I picked up a mouse from the same brand, and again the nicest I owned. Below is $67.

I detached the wrist pad, and use a 3M pad and rest. I prefer having one single long pad so that my wrist can glide from keyboard to mouse without break. What is also nice is that it can hang off the desk to some degree, which can allow for a bit more of a relaxed/reclined seating position.

Ito

Ito

Full Audioholic
I had that same razer and I ended up returning it. I was not fond of the feel of the keys, and the touch media keys are awful in my opinion. A good keyboard, but not my tastes. I returned it and got a Logitech g15...I feel in love. I am not keen on the orange, but it grew on me (would prefer blue). It has a bit larger footprint, but the programable keys are awesome. I love the LCD screen (I use it to control my music while gaming) and it just feels great to my fingers. A bit pricey but I thought it was well worth it.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
For normal typing do you really need the ability to press many keys at once?

The only times I lack that feature is when gaming. But for that I use the Ergodex DX1.
Nope. Normal typing, any keyboard in my disposal (except for the cheapie ones) can keep up with my approximately 65 words a minute (when I have my area and mind straight)

And yes, the Ergodex is one of the weirdest keyboards I know of besides this beauty:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/9836/

Oh I drool... but I cant imagine much tactile response on those beautiful keys.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
No any key. There is an "End" key though :D

And, no keyboards are equal.
I usually tell bad keyboards from worse ones by taking a display model at both ends, and twisting my hands opposite ways. If it flexes real easy and moves quite a bit.... then.... it's a sorry excuse for a keyboard and should only be used as a doorstop or a wedge. :D Then I go onto more testing :D

(I just twisted my MS keyboard, and while it flexes, it is not very easy. My M2 will NOT flex..)

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
lol, I don't understand anything he said either. yetti, I am not a gamer at all, at least with anything that requires a keyboard, but after asking THE computer guru among my personal friends, he recommended Razer to me. I picked up a Lycosa. It probably looks cheezy to most, but it's the nicest keyboard I've ever owned. I have no idea what a membrane keyboard is, or if it has buckling springs.
I looked at them, and they are expensive. Cool, but expensive. (the one I looked at was a bit higher end, forgot the model.)
The one at Best Buy they had on display (well, actually I took it out of the box :D ) did look nice, but to me it felt too much like laptop keys.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I had that same razer and I ended up returning it. I was not fond of the feel of the keys, and the touch media keys are awful in my opinion. A good keyboard, but not my tastes. I returned it and got a Logitech g15...I feel in love. I am not keen on the orange, but it grew on me (would prefer blue). It has a bit larger footprint, but the programable keys are awesome. I love the LCD screen (I use it to control my music while gaming) and it just feels great to my fingers. A bit pricey but I thought it was well worth it.
I've thought about giving the G15 and G5 a spin, but they are a bit mushy on keypresses. Other than that, they are really nice boards. They don't make a lot of noise, they are soft on the fingers for long sessions, and they have quite a bit of macro buttons.

The other thing is space. My Icemat v2 and G5 take up quite a bit of room. A G5 or G15 would mean.... keyboard in lap. LOL :D

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
OK done with responses for a bit :D

Now... back to my M2. As it's very very clean for it's age, I decided to tear into it and repair it.

Now... a word of caution:
Buckling Spring keyboards are not for the faint of heart to repair or take apart. If you take one apart, be forewarned that there are (what seem like) MILLIONS OF PARTS that can fall out or go wrong.

With that said, lets go on.

Faceplate, like the rest of the keyboard is really clean. Not too different looking than a normal membrane keyboard upon first inspection.

BUT... wait. This is a picture that has the parts out :D

Hmm.... and the crescendo builds to this:

Starting to get the picture? All of those little guys, make the contacts close.
If you don't put them in the right spot, and have them perfectly aligned, you will find keys that don't work at all.

The picture above is the real electrical part. Rubber isolator over a common dual layered plastic contact pad. In the upper right are the indicator lights, and the signal multiplexer that will feed the data to the computer in usable terms.

What is a buckling spring?
Here is one of 103 keys (or so):

When you press on the key itself, you are pressing down on a surrounded housing that pushes the spring in the cylinder down. The spring is weak enough to offer side pressure resistance, and instead of going directly down, bends into a "C" shape while compressing. When the spring cannot bend sideways anymore, it is forced to compress and it pushes the contact paw firmly into the rubber isolator, which absorbs damaging shock that would otherwise eventually kill the plastic membrane underneath, and strikes the contact. This happens with a "CLICK" or "CLACK" (depending on how you hear a loud keyboard like this).

Membranes keyboards are the most readily available keyboards that you can get, and if you weren't around in the early years of computing or you just never had the chance to use an old buckling spring keyboard, then I don't count that against anybody. The main reason why, is that membrane boards are cheaper to make, easier to make, and are quieter.

They function in the same way as buckling springs nearly, but instead of springs, the keys are literally on top of what looks like the rubber part of a toilet plunger, and as you hit the key, the plunger folds and hits the contact pad. Not only are the plungers circular, but they can be made extremely cheap, and in mass quantities.

But, getting back.... lol.

The reason my M2 was making my computer lock up was one of the buckling springs became misaligned and was making direct contact with the pad. The computer does NOT like this when it boots up. So, I had to tear it apart.
I also found my left shift key return assist is partially broken, so I gotta fix that.

Now you know. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis