Oppo BDP-83 What price do you want to pay?

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
The $499 price tag is quite fair especially compared to some of the flagship BD players. DVD-A and SACD is a small niche market and most people wouldn't spend $100 more for something they don't need. If they did price it at $399 they would probably corner the market.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
For a Blu-Ray player that hasn't been professionally reviewed.....$300

As much as I like OPPO's stuff (and I do) the EAP was nothing but a marketing ploy, and a way to test the waters in a down economy.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
The reason those manufactures are $399 is because the demand for them is stronger than their competitors because they are better quality than their competitors. I do not set the price the consumer does. I am not "campaining" against OPPO, BTW do you work for them?;) I firmly believe that the price should be $399 and this post is proving that that is correct by the people's answers not just mine:)

Yeah, I work for them, that's why I have a Panasonic :rolleyes:

But not better quality than Oppo, having owned their products in the past.
Stop alluding yourself these one or two threads will have some impact beyond those here with unrealistic expectations.
The facts are, many, many more reviews and opinions on other forums do not find the $499 out of line at all. What you perceive as a 'majority' is restricted to a couple of threads.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
The $499 price tag is quite fair especially compared to some of the flagship BD players. DVD-A and SACD is a small niche market and most people wouldn't spend $100 more for something they don't need. If they did price it at $399 they would probably corner the market.
Now that makes sense..for that matter I can see $450 being a good strategy. More (because it is MORE player than the competition) and a small step up from very good for most brands to 'better' for Oppo. But $499 is not unrealistic compared to what some will (and have) paid for more capable players. I can't blame Oppo asking for more.

$399 would be excellent, although I suspect many would not appreciate the degree of improvement.
Wish I did work for Oppo..love to pick one up at 'cost'! :)

jcilforever

jcilforever

Audioholic
Yeah, I work for them, that's why I have a Panasonic :rolleyes:

But not better quality than Oppo, having owned their products in the past.
Stop alluding yourself these one or two threads will have some impact beyond those here with unrealistic expectations.
The facts are, many, many more reviews and opinions on other forums do not find the $499 out of line at all. What you perceive as a 'majority' is restricted to a couple of threads.
Boy DaveAV I will just let you win on this one because no matter what I say you have to be right. Let the people speak for themselves.:)

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
Boy DaveAV I will just let you win on this one because no matter what I say you have to be right. Let the people speak for themselves.:)
No winning or losing here... I just don't buy your argument, nothing more than that....No one knows who will be right...could be something entirely different than either of us knows! :)

Last edited:
L

lexvid

Enthusiast
DaleAV, just out of curiosity, what is 'at cost' for a panasonic since you said you work for them.

I used to work in a high-end clothing store many moons ago and mark-up on products would go as high as 400%...

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
DaleAV, just out of curiosity, what is 'at cost' for a panasonic since you said you work for them.

I used to work in a high-end clothing store many moons ago and mark-up on products would go as high as 400%...
I don't work for Panasonic....note my response with regards to someone else assuming I work for Oppo...was sarcastic in nature...but I do have a Panasonic player...

Next, I will be accused for working for Lockheed-Martin...but that's okay, I am retired from LM. :)

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Anything Internet-Direct should be as good as items costing twice as much on the open market. If the OPPO is as good as a $1000.-- player they should get $500.-- for it.

Last edited:
T

twheeloc

Audioholic Intern
How about preorder

$399 after coupon discount for users with their names on the information list prior to EAP Round one or two depending on Oppo's operating cost and valid the first month or so of release.

$499 after that until they have recouped costs and can get word of mouth out there.

Then potential price drop determined by market.

This gives the true followers and those likely to advertise via word of mouth a discount.

Either that or a $100 dollar referral discount.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
$399 after coupon discount for users with their names on the information list prior to EAP Round one or two depending on Oppo's operating cost and valid the first month or so of release.

$499 after that until they have recouped costs and can get word of mouth out there.

Then potential price drop determined by market.

This gives the true followers and those likely to advertise via word of mouth a discount.

Either that or a $100 dollar referral discount.
To the best of my knowledge, OD states the EAP price is for purchase by those selected to do the evaluation who want to keep their players.
The production 'release' price may be the same, or different. No one knows yet.

If you check Oppo history, they do not drop prices once in production. Only on discontinued products or the rare case of an open-box sale.

Anything else is pure conjecture at this point.

Last edited:
L

lexvid

Enthusiast
Companies like Denon and others charge a King's ransom knowing they will gain a small but loyal buying segment that will demand the best and are willing to pay for it.

On the other hand, I do hope OPPO realizes that audiophiles that visit this site and others are a fraction of the market they would like to see own their products. This BluRay needs to be reasonably priced if they would like to see exceptional sales from the masses ~ no more than $399 - $449 US. Anything more is a big ask in my opinion.

That being said I have asked to be placed on the pre-order list here in Canada...:D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
I think I asked this question bevore but never did get an answer. Who is the OEM for OPPO or who's plattform do they use in their players?

B

bborzell

Audioholic Intern
I was willing to pay $499 and did when the email came from OPPO. I have run everything I have in my CD, SACD, DVD-A, SD DVD and Blu Ray collection (as well as a ton from Blockbuster) and I have not looked back. Video and audio quality is spectacular.

I have a $1,400 Rotel DVD player in the closet. The OPPO is light years ahead of anything I have seen for twice what I paid.

D

DaleAV

Full Audioholic
I was willing to pay $499 and did when the email came from OPPO. I have run everything I have in my CD, SACD, DVD-A, SD DVD and Blu Ray collection (as well as a ton from Blockbuster) and I have not looked back. Video and audio quality is spectacular.

I have a $1,400 Rotel DVD player in the closet. The OPPO is light years ahead of anything I have seen for twice what I paid.
That's why I don't understand why some folks think going from $400 to $499 on the Oppo is breaking their arm. I have yet to hear a valid technical argument against what appears to be appropriate pricing. Of course, we all want something cheaper, that's nothing new...and guess what, the Oppo is a LOT cheaper than several 'high end' players out there, and only slightly more pricey than the top line popular players that have less to offer! How is that unfair?
Oh well, guess I'm preaching to the choir in this case, anyway. :)

Last edited:
Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Honestly.... I'll pay what they are asking for a product that performs far better then anything out there for the money they are asking and they back it up with firmware updates.....

Just release the 83 so everyone can play along... seems you have things pretty much inline with release.

I'm willing to trust in Oppo to provide us with a flawlessly working product....

I want one, I'll pay what they have listed it at, I think its a win win product...

PhillyDan1969

PhillyDan1969

Junior Audioholic
I have been on the fence about Blu-Ray for a while now simply because I haven't found the right player at the right price for me!!! I have the Denon AVR3805 and thus I definitely need analog 5.1 to connect since I lack HDMI support on my receiver!!!

Here is my take on the price for the OPPO!!! I feel with DVD-A and SACD combined with the Blu-Ray 2.0 standards they will probably sell it at $499 and justifiably so, but I know I won't buy one!!!

DVD-A and SACD support are not what I am looking for, I want a standalone BD player that can compete with the PS3 and provide me with hi-def audio format support through 5.1 analog inputs and I don't want to pay more than $399 for it!!!

At $499 I will just stick with the PS3 and look to upgrade my A/V receiver in the near future!!!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis