iBiquity/IBOC HD (Hybrid digital) radio system. Sony XDR-F1HD review.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have just spent the last four days reviewing the Sony XDR-F1HD at the invitation of MPR. This turned into a review of a number of current digital radio options, and the comparison to good quality analog FM radio.

I was invited to review the Sony XDR-F1HD by Jeff Nelson, public affairs director for Minnesota Public radio (MPR). Read full article.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I have just spent the last four days reviewing the Sony XDR-F1HD at the invitation of MPR. This turned into a review of a number of current digital radio options, and the comparison to good quality analog FM radio.

I was invited to review the Sony XDR-F1HD by Jeff Nelson, public affairs director for Minnesota Public radio (MPR). Read full article.
I had actually been considering getting something like this for my car now I will look back at satellite options.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I had actually been considering getting something like this for my car now I will look back at satellite options.
I was not really addressing the car situation, except in so far as it has less range than analog. I'm very opposed to increasing the range of HD, by upping the power to 10% of the analog signal. That will spoil FM, which has higher fidelity. iBiquity claim their system is resistant to multi-path problems around tall buildings. The wider issue is that unless there is a simulcast of what you are listening to then at the extremes of range it will cut in and out, largely out I suspect. A digital signal is all or nothing. If there is a simulcast then when the digital signal is lost it will default to analog FM.

From what I heard XM-Sirius is of much lower quality than the HD. The streaming rate of HD by MPR is 92 kbs, and Sirius is only 64 kbs. Both short on bits for what I want to listen to.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I love my hdradio receiver in my pre/pro :D
What do you listen to with it? I think all of these low bit rate transmissions rate far below good analog FM in sound quality.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis