DISH Network ViP 722 Receiver/DVR Review

A

allargon

Audioholic General
I got Cablevision's Scientific Atlanta [btw: now Cisco] Explorer 8300HD and I connected 500Gb drive in eSATA enclose and it works fine.
I bought one from highly recommended Apricorn. I assembled the drive myself, but you can get eSata drive 500gb-to 1.5Tb right from them (a bit overpriced imho)

I don't know if USB drives will work or not.

http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=10
AFAIK DirectTV and Scientific Atlanta boxes require eSATA drives not the cheaper plain vanilla USB drives.

Thanks for finding the 55 "minutes" typo. I'm going to get in line to review the 922 box as soon as it's available. It's a no-brainer and should make for a really cool review. I'm also going to have Tom Andry review the new OTA DVR they have which I think is a cool product for those who are going the antenna route.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
I am curious, does the Dish 722 receive content as 720p or 1080i?

How can I tell...?

I just my 65" Panny pz850 yesterday, and I would imagine the scaler in the panny is better then the Dish receiver and it automatically upconverts everything to 1080p that isn't.

I'll be using the scaler in the Anthem D2v when I get it, but that info will also apply to get the best results down the road...

Thanks

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for finding the 55 "minutes" typo. I'm going to get in line to review the 922 box as soon as it's available. It's a no-brainer and should make for a really cool review. I'm also going to have Tom Andry review the new OTA DVR they have which I think is a cool product for those who are going the antenna route.
Clint, I'm looking forward to your impressions of the VIP922.
I'm not so sure I'm sold on the GUI. I hate touchpads on laptops and this what it reminds me of.
It's hard to imagine how well a Harmony remote will act with it.

http://www.slingcommunity.com/article/32856/Dish-Network-ViP-922-SlingLoaded-DVR-Demonstration-2009-International-CES/

N

nvmarino

Audiophyte
I find the menus on my 722 to be for more intuitive and user friendly than the Comcast boxes. The icon based menus on Comcast boxes are horrible, IMO.

The new Sling Guide from the upcoming VIP-922 (minus the new remote and some other features) should be out for th 722 before too long.
SlingGuide is already out in beta for ViP 612, 622, 722, and 722k users - you can sign up at dish.sling.com. For the unacquainted, SlingGuide is a fully featured web-based interface for managing and controlling your Dish DVR. It can also function as a supercool way to control your receiver on your iPod touch or iPhone. In addition, if you've got a Slingbox connected to your Dish receiver (or a 922 when they come out), you can stream live TV or DVR'd content directly from the SlingGuide web interface.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis