TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Cannabis has a deleterious effect on reproductive health.

It is clear that a number of CNS agents, including drugs of abuse, can inhibit reproductive function. Figure 1 shows the chemical diversity of some of the drug groups that affect reproductive hormones. Their structural dissimilarity to the steroid hormones is also readily apparent in the figure. These chemically diverse drugs share an important pharmacologic property: they are highly potent neuroactive drugs, and they can disrupt hypothalamic-pituitary function. Although it is frequently difficult to distinguish between direct drug actions on the hypothalamic-pituitary axis and subsequent effects on gonadal hormones and sex accessory gland function, the distinction is an important one. Most neuroactive drugs produce only transient effects on the central nervous pathways necessary for normal gonadotropin secretion. The disruptive effects of these drugs are likely to be transient and completely reversible, and tolerance to the inhibitory drug effects may occur even with continued drug use. Under these circumstances, normal adults may experience only subtle changes in sexual function. However, individuals with compromised reproductive function may exhibit major problems. It is also likely that adolescents may be at substantial risk for reproductive damage from these neuroactive drugs since the endocrine events associated with puberty are dependent on the normal development of the hypothalamic-pituitary axis.

PMID: 3305084 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

It causes difficulty with memory and leaning.

Nestor L, Roberts G, Garavan H, Hester R.

Department of Psychology and Institute of Neuroscience, Trinity College, University of Dublin, Ireland. lnestor@tcd.ie

The consumption of cannabis has been linked to impairments in human learning and memory, as well as aspects of executive functioning. Cannabis-related impairments in learning and memory in chronic cannabis users, it has been argued, are caused by the effects of cannabis on hippocampal functioning. The current study involved two experiments. Experiment 1 compared 35 current users of cannabis and 38 well-matched controls on a face-name task, previously shown to activate the hippocampal region. Based on the results of experiment 1, experiment 2 used fMRI and a modified version of the face-name task, to examine cortical and (para)hippocampal activity during learning and recall in 14 current users of cannabis and 14 controls. Results of experiment 1 showed that cannabis users were significantly worse with respect to learning, short and long-term memory performance. Experiment 2 showed that despite non-significant differences in learning and memory performance, cannabis users had significantly lower levels of BOLD activity in the right superior temporal gyrus, right superior frontal gyrus, right middle frontal gyrus and left superior frontal gyrus compared to controls during learning. Results also showed that cannabis users had significantly higher BOLD activity in the right parahippocampal gyrus during learning. Hypoactivity in frontal and temporal cortices, and relative hyperactivity in the parahippocampus identify functional deficits and compensatory processes in cannabis users.

It also contributes to pulmonary damage.

Aldington S, Williams M, Nowitz M, Weatherall M, Pritchard A, McNaughton A, Robinson G, Beasley R.

Medical Research Institute of New Zealand, P O Box 10055, Wellington 6143, New Zealand.

BACKGROUND: Cannabis is the most widely used illegal drug worldwide. Long-term use of cannabis is known to cause chronic bronchitis and airflow obstruction, but the prevalence of macroscopic emphysema, the dose-response relationship and the dose equivalence of cannabis with tobacco has not been determined. METHODS: A convenience sample of adults from the Greater Wellington region was recruited into four smoking groups: cannabis only, tobacco only, combined cannabis and tobacco and non-smokers of either substance. Their respiratory status was assessed using high-resolution CT (HRCT) scanning, pulmonary function tests and a respiratory and smoking questionnaire. Associations between respiratory status and cannabis use were examined by analysis of covariance and logistic regression. RESULTS: 339 subjects were recruited into the four groups. A dose-response relationship was found between cannabis smoking and reduced forced expiratory volume in 1 s to forced vital capacity ratio and specific airways conductance, and increased total lung capacity. For measures of airflow obstruction, one cannabis joint had a similar effect to 2.5-5 tobacco cigarettes. Cannabis smoking was associated with decreased lung density on HRCT scans. Macroscopic emphysema was detected in 1/75 (1.3%), 15/92 (16.3%), 17/91 (18.9%) and 0/81 subjects in the cannabis only, combined cannabis and tobacco, tobacco alone and non-smoking groups, respectively. CONCLUSIONS: Smoking cannabis was associated with a dose-related impairment of large airways function resulting in airflow obstruction and hyperinflation. In contrast, cannabis smoking was seldom associated with macroscopic emphysema. The 1:2.5-5 dose equivalence between cannabis joints and tobacco cigarettes for adverse effects on lung function is of major public health significance.

All this just from a quick literature search.

My own personal experience has taught me that Marijuana smoking is deleterious to the lung and a factor in the development of chronic lung disease.

We already have one legal drug, alcohol, and that's enough. Any more is a crowd, and NOT to be encouraged.

As far as I'm concerned the OP broke the law. In a civil society laws have to be obeyed whether you agree with them or not, or face the consequences.

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
All true TLS, but this country will legalize marijuana as soon as it devises a marketable and profitable scheme for it. Prohibition? Tobacco? Two legal drugs, and there are more. :)

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
All true TLS, but this country will legalize marijuana as soon as it devises a marketable and profitable scheme for it. Prohibition? Tobacco? Two legal drugs, and there are more. :)
I doubt it. There is too much evidence against it. Users are impaired whether they admit it or not. Marijuana has had pivotal roles in impairing public safety, such as railway crashes and other accidents resulting in injury and death for the innocent.

The legalization of this drug needs to be vigorously opposed.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I doubt it. There is too much evidence against it. Users are impaired whether they admit it or not. Marijuana has had pivotal roles in impairing public safety, such as railway crashes and other accidents resulting in injury and death for the innocent.

The legalization of this drug needs to be vigorously opposed.
Oh ****, you're right. If it is legalized, imagine all the horrible accidents that will occur because everyone is stoned!

Please...

Wait, who smokes and denies being high?

Also, all health issues associated with the inhalation of smoke can easily be avoided by using a vaporizer.

itschris

itschris

Like some, my stance will likely be unpopular. There are all kinds of things that are illegal that we deem shouldn't be. For instance, I just got a ticket for making an illegal u-turn. There wasn't a car in sight, I had a light even. I saw the sign, but not the cop. I got my ticket. Should I be surprised? Pissed? Not really. When you wilingly choose to make decisions, you should also be willing to accept those consqences... potential and otherwise.

It's also ironic that you see no correlation with your drug use and your current woes. My neighbor and I are both very successful professionals living in nice homes with nice things. Both of our brothers have smoked pot since their late teens. Neither can keep a job, nor accomplish much. Today, my brother is living with our mother who's 78. My neigbor's brother, is on welfare living with 4 friends in a 3 bedroom apartment they rent.

I'm not saying you can't be successful and do drugs... I'm sure you can. But it seems if you look at those troubled folks "who just came seem to catch a break" or "always seem to have bad luck" there's usually something behind it.

Do I want pot legalized? Hell no. I've been around people who smoked pot on a regular basis. If you try and tell me it's harmless and doesn't impact an individual, you're just dillusional. You say pot doesn't hurt you? Well you'll likely have a criminal record now... I'd say that's hurtful. My question? Is it worth it just to get high?

A

alexwakelin

Full Audioholic
I'm not saying you can't be successful and do drugs... I'm sure you can. But it seems if you look at those troubled folks "who just came seem to catch a break" or "always seem to have bad luck" there's usually something behind it.

Yup, you sure can. Off the top of my head, I personally know a few people who use drugs and are quite successful:

Computer Engineer
Film Producer
Chiropractor

There are probably just as many, if not more troubled people that abuse alcohol, are are simply just too lazy to improve their situation.

M

MatthewB.

Audioholic General
I work in the healthcare industry (have for the last 2 decades) and I am all for legalizing marijuana. It's health benefits far outweigh the xenophobes who rally against it. (Reminds me of Mr. Hand "Mary Jiwana is Bad Mmmkay" I also think with it being legalized that we as country benefit with the massive increased revenue, it can be regulated and controlled and laws passed that are similar to alcohol. The problem is there are far too many elderly folks still alive who think that smoking a J will lead them to freebasing crack and going on killing sprees, when the most that will happen is a guy in his back yard pondering why the moon is so full and his stomach isn't. I have a next door neighbor who is in his late 60's and that old guy smokes more dope than a rastafarian at a Bob Marley rememberance concert. I figure what he does in the privacy of his backyard is his business. I just wish the old guy would share. ;) Some laws are stupid and the fact that the cops came to this call and not dealing with far more serious crimes going on, just astoinds me.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I really don't care what 'others' do, I just set guidelines and philosophies for my own life. I am a big believer in "doing the right thing" and treating others how I like to be treated. By living my life this way and being an honest and transparent person and being a Believer in God, I have been rewarded in life.

What I don't like about this scenario is, it leads me to believe that there is a true breakdown of the moral fabric of society, which is causing a rapidly decaying world. I am not here to judge anyone but like itschris stated earlier, I have not seen many successful stoners during my lifetime.

There are of coarse exceptions... one of my best friends smokes a lot of pot and netted over 1million last year and has done almost that good for the past several years.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Some laws are stupid and the fact that the cops came to this call and not dealing with far more serious crimes going on, just astoinds me.
But just because a law is stupid, doesn't mean that you can't get in trouble for it. I have no problem with the legalization of marijuana, but as long as its illegal users have to put up with the fact that they can be punished.

If you want to get all philosophical about it, I'd suggest reading up on Socrates and the "social contract". Socrates taught (and I'm totally paraphrasing since I haven't read Socrates since 1999) that it was the duty of a citizen to fight against the laws of the state that they may disagree with. However, if you're unable to change the law and you choose to remain living in that state (Socrates would make the argument that if laws were so disagreeable a citizen should choose to live elsewhere), that by making such a choice you are knowingly agreeing to live by those laws and if you violate them you will willingly acknowledge the consequences. [/Philosophy Lesson].

Nemo128

Nemo128

Users are impaired whether they admit it or not. Marijuana has had pivotal roles in impairing public safety, such as railway crashes and other accidents resulting in injury and death for the innocent.
Wait wait... um, drunk driving? Second hand smoke? Domestic violence linked to alcoholism? Child abuse? Are you saying we've never legalized things that "impaired" people and caused "accidents resulting in injury and death for the innocent"?

As soon as the right people can control and profit from something, it is legalized. Prostitution is legal in parts of Vegas for a reason, as another of the many examples.

Nemo128

Nemo128

What I don't like about this scenario is, it leads me to believe that there is a true breakdown of the moral fabric of society, which is causing a rapidly decaying world. I am not here to judge anyone but like itschris stated earlier, I have not seen many successful stoners during my lifetime.
That's typically a result of the American culture of excess. People general don't want to enjoy anything in moderation. The proliferation of obesity, alcoholism, cancers, divorce, procreation, and numerous other activities proves that a large percentage of our population loves whatever they love in excess, and in some cases all the way to death.

Matt34

Matt34

As soon as the right people can control and profit from something, it is legalized. Prostitution is legal in parts of Vegas for a reason, as another of the many examples.
That is my take on it too and I've wondered why the government hasn't done an about-face on this particular issue. The U.S has spent billions of dollars on this drug war when in fact we could be generating so much revenue on the taxation of MJ.

My thoughts are inline with the Dawg and that I think it's not morally acceptable behavior but I'm not going to judge what you choose to do in the privacy of your own home.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Something tells me that we got ourselves a few members here poo-pooing the ganja but I bet if we woke up tomorrow and alcohol was suddenly illegal they would soon be at risk for being charged with possession with the intent to distribute.:eek: After all, drinking alone don't look right.:D

Booze is probably worse for you and probably has a greater negative effect on society than weed. Cigarettes definitely kill a bunch more people. The point? Nobody important cares enough about these truths to change anything.

I always figured there were two parts to doing drugs:
1. Doing drugs.
2. Not getting caught.

Better luck next time.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
bump for my questions above ... out back and paraphernalia.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm gonna guess it was a pipe and it was in an alley.
A nice seedy alley with great big f^%&ing rats crawling around.
They're drug users for crying out loud. One of 'em was pimpin' his ... :eek:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Like some, my stance will likely be unpopular. There are all kinds of things that are illegal that we deem shouldn't be. For instance, I just got a ticket for making an illegal u-turn. There wasn't a car in sight, I had a light even. I saw the sign, but not the cop. I got my ticket. Should I be surprised? Pissed? Not really. When you wilingly choose to make decisions, you should also be willing to accept those consqences... potential and otherwise.
Understood and agreed. Some are just unluckier than others. Maybe some of us get picked out more because we drive a fancy cherry red sports car, or have gnarly dreads with MJ tats all over the arms.

Do I want pot legalized? Hell no. I've been around people who smoked pot on a regular basis. If you try and tell me it's harmless and doesn't impact an individual, you're just dillusional. You say pot doesn't hurt you? Well you'll likely have a criminal record now... I'd say that's hurtful. My question? Is it worth it just to get high?
In my experience, it depends on the individual.

Yup, you sure can. Off the top of my head, I personally know a few people who use drugs and are quite successful:

Computer Engineer
Film Producer
Chiropractor

There are probably just as many, if not more troubled people that abuse alcohol, are are simply just too lazy to improve their situation.
I agree with you about alcohol, and that's coming from someone who imbibes a lot more booze than weed. I also know very successful people who smoke weed regularly. Restaurant owner, lawyer, doctor, globe trotting classical musicians, small business owner, film director, etc. They don't work high, ever, (ok maybe the restaurant owner does) but will smoke to unwind and relax after a very stressful day. One musician I know just tries to keep it after 6pm. I look at it like booze. Don't ever work for me while under the influence, but I'm more than happy to crack open a few cold ones with you after a tough day.

There are of coarse exceptions... one of my best friends smokes a lot of pot and netted over 1million last year and has done almost that good for the past several years.
Yep. I wish I made as much money as some "stoners" I know.

But just because a law is stupid, doesn't mean that you can't get in trouble for it. I have no problem with the legalization of marijuana, but as long as its illegal users have to put up with the fact that they can be punished.
+1.

If you want to get all philosophical about it, I'd suggest reading up on Socrates and the "social contract". Socrates taught (and I'm totally paraphrasing since I haven't read Socrates since 1999) that it was the duty of a citizen to fight against the laws of the state that they may disagree with. However, if you're unable to change the law and you choose to remain living in that state (Socrates would make the argument that if laws were so disagreeable a citizen should choose to live elsewhere), that by making such a choice you are knowingly agreeing to live by those laws and if you violate them you will willingly acknowledge the consequences. [/Philosophy Lesson].
Wasn't Emile Durkheim the biggest believer in the need for crime and deviation to bring us better laws? For if no one ever committed a crime, no laws would ever change. I'm sure that's a two edged sword, but an argument with merit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis