Vizio Proves Cheap HDTV Sells

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Some are hailing it as a sign of good-news in this foul economy! Vizio, maker of the sort of cheap HDTVs you’d find at Wal-Mart, is actually growing and breaking sales records. But the real success behind Vizio might be a variation of an old adage - if you build it cheap, they will come. Is Vizio a silver lining in the troubled economy or just another symptom of the downturn?

Discuss "Vizio Proves Cheap HDTV Sells" here. Read the article.

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
Its an interesting view point.

But we all know the main reason these TVs fly off the shelves is because their price.

Secondly you can buy them at most big box stores and wholesale clubs.
Average Joe consumer does not know the first thing about home theater or HDTV.

Setting up a home theater is completely impossible for anyone normal.
In many cases it is now worse than setting up a PC.

Vizio sells to these people that want in for cheap and don't care about any of the BS. They plug in the TV and they have a big screen and HD.

Home theater and setting up HDTV has become absolutely ridiculous and expensive.

Even with the cheapest setup it still going to cost someone around $2400 for the cheapest TV, receiver, BluRay and speakers you can get.

Hipnotic4

Hipnotic4

Full Audioholic
Home theater and setting up HDTV has become absolutely ridiculous and expensive.

Even with the cheapest setup it still going to cost someone around $2400 for the cheapest TV, receiver, BluRay and speakers you can get.
I think HT setups have become cheaper..just look at tv prices, HTIB systems, etc...theirs a lot of affordable options, more or less than "$2400"

..Today, most people can find something they are looking for to fit their budget..not everyone needs a bluray player or seperate receiever w/ a 5.1 setup, a simple, "big screen" tv is enough for most..like a nice viz!o:D

R

rekced

Audioholic
Its an interesting view point.

But we all know the main reason these TVs fly off the shelves is because their price.

Secondly you can buy them at most big box stores and wholesale clubs.
Average Joe consumer does not know the first thing about home theater or HDTV.

Setting up a home theater is completely impossible for anyone normal.
In many cases it is now worse than setting up a PC.

Vizio sells to these people that want in for cheap and don't care about any of the BS. They plug in the TV and they have a big screen and HD.

YAY! It's Mark!

R

rekced

Audioholic
Some are hailing it as a sign of good-news in this foul economy! Vizio, maker of the sort of cheap HDTVs you’d find at Wal-Mart, is actually growing and breaking sales records. But the real success behind Vizio might be a variation of an old adage - if you build it cheap, they will come. Is Vizio a silver lining in the troubled economy or just another symptom of the downturn?

Discuss "Vizio Proves Cheap HDTV Sells" here. Read the article.
It could have something do with some of the sales they've been running. All year they've been selling TVs for stupid deals like a 47'' 1080p 120hz for $999.99 and 42'' 1080p for $599.99. That way, Vizio can liquidate their supplies while the economy is slow and make themselves look like they're doing great. Also you know they're tapping into the name brand TV market when people are laid off but still need a TV.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
I just think the price differential between the deep-discount brands and the mainstream has been shrinking in the last 6 months. If you see a shockingly low price on a 42" HDTV, chances are it's not that much more to buy a respected brand.

I'd recommend the respected brand over the third tier anytime. But if you bought one... good luck. God knows I've bought the odd cheap PC monitor and have had mixed results. One of my first "made in china" 14" CRT monitors still works like a champ to this day. However I've bought many many more since that never lasted over a year.

Today I use an LG LCD monitor that's the size of some TVs and a Panny plasma and have no complaints after a year.

M

mluttermoser

Enthusiast
third Tier

I could be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure vizio owns a manufacturing plant which would make them a tier 1 tv producer, and they get above average reviews in most magazine's and on the internet. Now I admit that they are not in the class of pioneer kuro sets but they are not that bad.

S

swestbom

Audioholic Intern
Good grief, what a lot of drivel!. I bought my first one in 2005, it still works perfectly. Bought my second one in November, it has a very good picture and tuner and works as well as any Panasonic, Sony etc. within $400 of its price. I can easily afford to spend more but choose not to because there is no return for the money.

I compared the sets at Costco after adjusting the pictures, you really cannot tell the difference, except to my eyes the Toshibas and Sharps are worse. Black levels are decent if not spectacular and motion artifacts are minimal (no worse than any other LCD), the color is pretty accurate if not perfect.

Vizios are reliable, Costco gives them a 2 year warranty, it is well built. Stop ragging on the Chinese contract manufacturers, they make some good products. The quality gets better every year.

Circuit City, Tweeter, and probably Best Buy next, are gone for a reason, they offered nothing of any value over what you can get at a warehouse store or the internet but at higher prices with inept or indifferent staff.

The market rewards value, Vizio offers it.

Finally, Sony was farming out their lower end LCD sets a few years ago to those same Taiwanese and Chinese contract manufacturers.

Last edited:
A

allargon

Audioholic General
I wonder if Sony will launch another complaint against Vizio.

Poor Sony--there are no studios to buy off to keep Vizio from taking market share.

Wayde, I can understand trumping the tier 0 (Pioneer, Fujitsu, Runco, B&O, etc.) manufacturers. However, LG ain't one of them. Vizio is the best of the bargain brands. Most know it. Vizio is not Polaroid or Ilo or Sceptre. They are better than Westinghouse, and they outlasted Olevia. I'd buy a Vizio before an Insignia (rebadged LG) or even a Philips any day.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Vizio is an odd animal in the industry. Their founder was originally employed by AmTRAN (and technically still does)*BUZZ* WRONG!. He set up shop in California and AmTRAN produces the televisions. I believe the founder, William Wang, wishes to make the company more independent from the OEM manufacturer but has yet to find a more cost effective production method that will maintain the same level of quality that Vizio apparently has. Since Vizio and AmTRAN have a lucrative partnership at the moment it's unlikely to see any change in the OEM. AmTRAN has nearly doubled it's staff in the passed two years to meet the production demands of Vizio and now LG.

I am not sure of the level of AmTRAN's involvement in the manufacturing of LG televisions, but as much talk as there has been I would assume it's going to be a big chunk and nice advance for AmTRAN. The company plans to move it's manufacturing operations to China exclusively in the near future. It already has at least one factory in China and another in Taiwan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
or even a Philips any day.
Philips is Funai OEM garbage, as is Sylvania, Magnavox, Memorex, Olevia (now), ILO, TruTech, Scepterperp?, and a long list of other crap brands.

I don't like LG, and I don't like that silly marketing stunt they pulled (Scarlett).

R

rekced

Audioholic
Vizio is an odd animal in the industry. Their founder was originally employed by AmTRAN (and technically still does)*BUZZ* WRONG!. He set up shop in California and AmTRAN produces the televisions. I believe the founder, William Wang, wishes to make the company more independent from the OEM manufacturer but has yet to find a more cost effective production method that will maintain the same level of quality that Vizio apparently has. Since Vizio and AmTRAN have a lucrative partnership at the moment it's unlikely to see any change in the OEM. AmTRAN has nearly doubled it's staff in the passed two years to meet the production demands of Vizio and now LG.

I am not sure of the level of AmTRAN's involvement in the manufacturing of LG televisions, but as much talk as there has been I would assume it's going to be a big chunk and nice advance for AmTRAN. The company plans to move it's manufacturing operations to China exclusively in the near future. It already has at least one factory in China and another in Taiwan.
Yeah, you can tell their really pushing hard to be independent when they employee a whopping 100-200 employees total.

It is true that Vizio/AmTran has a partnership with LG. It states it right on their website if you look. Their plasma screens come from Panasonic, but they are their seconds according to Panasonic. The Vizio rep admitting the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

k9jdk

Audiophyte
I've owned a Vizio for over a year now. No problems. No regrets. Others that see it can't tell the difference between it and the other brands.

Not sure about the 3rd tier claim. I understand Vizio has manufacturing facilities. If not, so what. Where ever and whom ever is making them is doing something right.

And btw, I did not buy my Vizio at WallMart. They can be purchased elsewhere, usually different model #s. I've read WallMart gets their own models, somewhat less featured, made by Vizio and thus are sold for less than the other models in Vizio's arsenal.

If I purchase another HDTV first on my list will be a Vizio.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I believe Vizio Inc. itself was last reported to employ approximately 85 people.:D

J

jamie2112

Banned
I would not buy one myself. My father in law has one. He just had to have a 120hz tv.....I tried to tell him but no dice...:D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I personally don't like the way the picture looks on any of the Vizios LCDs aside from their 46" plus size models, at least the ones I've seen. The cheap 42" plasma they have is impressive given the price, but I'd never buy it. They also had a 32" plasma, it sucked as well. Apparently Panasonic hasn't made a 32" plasma in a while, which might explain why that one looked so bad and the 42" (probably more recently made) looks better.

R

rekced

Audioholic
Apparently Panasonic hasn't made a 32" plasma in a while, which might explain why that one looked so bad and the 42" (probably more recently made) looks better.
Panasonic rep said that one isn't their panel in the 32''. Many sources online say it's LG. I honestly didn't think it looked that bad.

I believe Vizio Inc. itself was last reported to employ approximately 85 people.:D
The Vizio rep I spoke to said it was around 200 three months ago. Her other job was to vacuum the floors and file papers.

R

rekced

Audioholic
I've owned a Vizio for over a year now. No problems. No regrets. Others that see it can't tell the difference between it and the other brands.

Not sure about the 3rd tier claim. I understand Vizio has manufacturing facilities. If not, so what. Where ever and whom ever is making them is doing something right.

And btw, I did not buy my Vizio at WallMart. They can be purchased elsewhere, usually different model #s. I've read WallMart gets their own models, somewhat less featured, made by Vizio and thus are sold for less than the other models in Vizio's arsenal.

If I purchase another HDTV first on my list will be a Vizio.
I only verified that the plasma panels from Panasonic are seconds. I don't know about their LCD screens or their 32'' plasma being second or third tier.

Vizio's price advantage seemed to kind of whither away once their TVs started improving in quality. The only TVs they made that still have a price advantage IMO are the 19-32'' and the new 55''.

R

russ_l

Audioholic Intern
The absolute worst article I've ever read on Audioholics. Not one mention of the fact that Visio makes an excellent product. We're extremely pleased with our bedroom set. Future articles like this will certainly diminish the reputation of Audioholics.

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
The absolute worst article I've ever read on Audioholics. Not one mention of the fact that Visio makes an excellent product. We're extremely pleased with our bedroom set. Future articles like this will certainly diminish the reputation of Audioholics.
Wow. Sorry you feel that way.

As stated in the article, it's very likely some people will have great experiences with Vizio. It's no surprise that some are finding them a fine quality set.

But they're a third tier enterprise – as such you can't expect the same commitment to quality as you’d find with company’s that actually research and use their own display technology.

I think people have a right to know how companies operate. Nobody is any less for having read about tiers in this industry, even if they disagree with my position that any third tier purchase represents an inherent risk.

If you love third tier enterprises keep reading... I’m doing some homework on another third tier company and what I'm finding might curl your toenails.

Whenever you find a product that can undersell its competitors chances are still that - You pay for what you get. The old adage hasn’t stopped being true.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis