Unique Products Locking Banana Plugs

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I have some Monoprice banana plugs and they screw down on the wire and are pretty good for the price; but I wasn't completely satisfied because the connection didn't seem that secure. They weren't really locking plugs

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2

$2.17 /pair quantity 2-9 pairs

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040115&p_id=2801&seq=1&format=2

However, I really wanted locking banana plugs and came across Unique Products - Locking Banana Plugs

$6.00 /pair quantity - 10 pairs

http://www.uniqueproductsonline.com/lobapl20pa10.html

I received the Unique Prfoducts banana plugs today and the are very nice quality. There are two set screws to tighten and hold the wire. There is also an end tapered pin insidethe banana plug which can be screwed down to make the banana plug itself fit more securely ( similar to the plastic pop rivets on car under body fender wells.

Here is the product information on the Unique Products Locking BananaPlugs :

20 of our Locking Banana Plugs - You get 10 Pair

For the last few years we have sold Wall plates of all types and configurations. We have also received many requests for Banana plugs from out customers. In researching this area we have learned so much that it actually made the decision more complicated on what is the right type and configuration.

There are a lot of choices out in the market today. We decided that if we are going to do Banana plugs then lets do Banana plugs right.

We elected to go with LOCKING Banana Plugs because it is the best Banana plug we would find.

Why Locking Banana plugs?
The 2 other type are pin type and compression type.

Pin type - has to be tightened down on the pin which means it does not make a 360 degree contact.
Compression - the type that plugs in to the speakers or wall plates don't always fit snuggly. This of course can have an affect on your overall sound as you are NOT getting a solid 360 contact or a firm contact into the connector.

Good Luck!

MidCow2

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I am looking for some better banana plugs, I hate the ones I have from GLS.

Shock

Shock

Audioholic General
I prefer to the open screw type banana plugs. Although I do agree that non locking ones do tend to feel a little loose.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I use the ones from Bluejeans and they are pretty close to identical to the GLS ones, though they may not be made by the same manufacturer. Both are copies of WBT ones that cost about 10X the price. I don't have any problems tightening them. $6 a pair is actually a bit more than the Bluejeans ones.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I use the ones from Bluejeans and they are pretty close to identical to the GLS ones, though they may not be made by the same manufacturer. Both are copies of WBT ones that cost about 10X the price. I don't have any problems tightening them. $6 a pair is actually a bit more than the Bluejeans ones.
The finish on the GLS metal looks more grainy than the BJC ones. I didn't have any trouble tightening mine either. In fact I am in love with mine. I can't wait until I can show them off to somebody who cares.

I have some regular bananas that look like the BJC jobs. There is like a spinning cage on the banana part.

Hey MidCow2, I hope your intention was to discuss different varieties of plugs in this thread. Otherwise it's a hijack. But at least it can serve as a link for people who want to see options. I will say that the BJC spade connectors do not fit on any of my Infinity Primus binding posts.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
No Hijack - discussion of different bananas is great!

The finish on the GLS metal looks more grainy than the BJC ones. I didn't have any trouble tightening mine either. In fact I am in love with mine. I can't wait until I can show them off to somebody who cares.

I have some regular bananas that look like the BJC jobs. There is like a spinning cage on the banana part.

Hey MidCow2, I hope your intention was to discuss different varieties of plugs in this thread. Otherwise it's a hijack. But at least it can serve as a link for people who want to see options. I will say that the BJC spade connectors do not fit on any of my Infinity Primus binding posts.
No Hijack Alex, I think the discussion about different banana solutions is great! Thanks for you input and THANKS :D

But, I'll bet you monkey is JEALOUS and also getting hungry :rolleyes::D:rolleyes:

Later,

MidCow2

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
I picked up these banana plugs from eBay for really cheap, $18 for 8 pairs, and I don't have any complaints yet. Plus, I think they look nice, not that it matters because they are all behind my receiver, but you guys understand.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Those don't appear to be locking plugs. Locking plugs apply pressure on the pin so it expands and basically "hold" themselves in. Those do look nice though.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic
Those don't appear to be locking plugs. Locking plugs apply pressure on the pin so it expands and basically "hold" themselves in. Those do look nice though.
Ahh, now I get it, I assumed it had something to do with how the wire was held in.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Radio Shack Gold Series Banana Plugs. You have to solder them, but they LOCK. And, they lock damn tight.

A bit expensive, and solder only (I guess you could modify them to be screw on type hold downs), but they lock better than anything I've seen and used.

Notice how they are split?

I'd like to try some of these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=093-536

They are expensive though! And you supposedly need a tool to crimp the sleeve that comes with it! UGH. At least the Radio Shack I pointed out has the same clamp style for the binding posts as the WBT's.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I don't have locking bananas :(

Haven't found myself needing them though.

tbergman

tbergman

Full Audioholic

They are expensive though! And you supposedly need a tool to crimp the sleeve that comes with it! UGH. At least the Radio Shack I pointed out has the same clamp style for the binding posts as the WBT's.
Wow, that is expensive, at what point do these make a noticeable difference that is worth $720? (10 pairs for a 5.0 set-up). Oh, and don't forget that $140 crimping pliers they sell too. I guess for me, when that is more than I paid for my whole system, I'll go cheaper.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Wow, that is expensive, at what point do these make a noticeable difference that is worth $720? (10 pairs for a 5.0 set-up). Oh, and don't forget that $140 crimping pliers they sell too. I guess for me, when that is more than I paid for my whole system, I'll go cheaper.
For me, I think they look cool, but that's about it.
Noticeable difference shows up red on your checking account :D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
I respectifully disagree

Radio Shack Gold Series Banana Plugs. You have to solder them, but they LOCK. And, they lock damn tight.

A bit expensive, and solder only (I guess you could modify them to be screw on type hold downs), but they lock better than anything I've seen and used.

Notice how they are split?

I respectifully disagree!

The Unique Products locking plugs have two set screws to hold the wire. It makes a very,very secure conenction better than the Radio Shack gold series banana plugs which cost $9.89 The Unique Products have the banana plug end has a similar expanding end to fit tight. I have tried several banana plugs in the past including the monoprice locking and the Unique Product plugs provide a very secure tight fit without soldering. By the way many, many people solder incorrectly; you heat the braided wire and let it suck the solder in. Crimping is another matter. if you have the correct tool it is fairly easy but still takes some practice especially getting the right sized connector for the correct wire size.

I just got through putting in a new audio video cabinet and installed the unique products plugs on the end of all my cables. Reconnecting the speakers was easy, quick and painless.

By the way i used to like Radio Shack in the old days when it was an inexpensive parts speciality store and had very few OEM products. Now, the parts have gotten pricey and I typically only shop Radio Shack if I can't wait for the part to arrive from online ordering :rolleyes: .

Last edited:
yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I respectifully disagree!

The Unique Products locking plugs have two set screws to hold the wire. It makes a very,very secure conenction better than hte Radio Shack gold series banana plugs which cost $9.89 The Unique Products have the banana plug end has a similar expanding end to fit tight. I have tried several banana plugs in the past including the monoprice locking and the Unique Product plugs provide a very secure tight fit without soldering. By the way many, many people solder incorrectly; you heat the braided wire and let it suck the solder in. Crimping is another matter. if you have the correct tool it is fairly easy but still takes some practice epecailly getting the right sized connector for the correct wire size.
I would agree with the wire to base connection. The biding post end of the banana plug though, should be about the same.

You have to admit, that the spreading type really does lock the plug into the post ;)

I could go on and argue about strength differences between mechanical and soldering, but the end result is the wire coming out of the stupid plug if you pull hard enough on either.

The advantage of the RS plug is size: they are relatively narrow, which may come in handy in certain situations. Length wise, they may be longer or shorter than other plugs (I Think they might be a bit longer).
Yes, I don't like soldering either, and I think that the Unique might be a better way to go.

Now, I have to go get some breakfast. :D

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
thanks for the feedback

I would agree with the wire to base connection. The biding post end of the banana plug though, should be about the same.

You have to admit, that the spreading type really does lock the plug into the post ;)

I could go on and argue about strength differences between mechanical and soldering, but the end result is the wire coming out of the stupid plug if you pull hard enough on either.

The advantage of the RS plug is size: they are relatively narrow, which may come in handy in certain situations. Length wise, they may be longer or shorter than other plugs (I Think they might be a bit longer).
Yes, I don't like soldering either, and I think that the Unique might be a better way to go.

Now, I have to go get some breakfast. :D
Yettiman, Thanks for the feed back ;)

Maybe I wasn't clear the Unique Products also has the speading pin for locking tight in the banana socket.

Take care and have a good breakfast :D

Later ,

MidCow2

P.S. - Reminds me of a guy I had working for me pulling RD 232 cables connected to a mainframe front end. He pulled so hard he broke a RS232 cable ( for those that are quite following RS 232 was from the earlier days of telecommunciations whne 19.2 kbps was fast and had 25 wires with a sheath around it; they were virtually indestructable )

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Even though I have GLS locking plugs on everything but my sub, I have to admit the the Monster Cable banana plugs that you push the wire through and then mushroom out the wire and screw the end on are my favorite. I ran to the Rat Shack and grabbed these when Andrew was bringging my sub over. I hate Monster just like the rest of you but I had no time to look around when I got these. They are very easy to use and I can pick my sub up by my speaker wire if I was so inclined.

Sorry but it's true.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis