RBH T-1 or 661-SE/R

S

satish536

Audioholic
Even when i purchased my RBH speakers, the dealers quoted me high prices. Later on one more RBH dealer contacted me who does wholesale, custom installs for RBH and gave me considerably lower prices than the other dealers quoted.I am a happy camper now.

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Review

Review: RBH /JL Audio 7.1 Speaker System

Configuration:
RBH T-1/SE Reference Speakers: Left, Center, Right
RBH 66-SE Dipole Speakers: Side Left & Right
RBH 61-SE Direct Radiating Speakers: Rear Left & Right
JL Audio Fathom 113 Powered Subwoofer (two)
Onkyo TX-NR905 AVR (used as SSP only)
Earthquake Cinenova Grande 7 Seven channel amplifier
Velodyne SMS-1 Subwofer EQ

Samsung 1400 Blu Ray Player
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD Player
Apple TV
Direct TV HR20-100 HD-DVR

Audyssey MultiEQ enabled​

I’ve now spent a short time with this new configuration, and wanted to post a little more of my experiences. (This current setup replaced an all DefTech configuration – Mythos ST L/R, CLR 2500 Center, BPVX/P side surrounds, and BPVX rear surrounds Subs were one JL Audio Fathom 113 and one Supercube 1)

Setup: My current placement has the primary listening position about 14 feet away from the L/C/R array, with the L/R speakers about 12 feet apart. The T-1SE/R L/R speakers are situated ontop the JL Audio Fathom 113 subs, separated by Auralex SubDude platforms for isolation and cabinet protection. The JL’s themselves sit on Aurlex GRAMMA platforms.

The center T-1SE/R sits horizontal in a cabinet, angled slightly up toward the listening position. The 66 and 61 surrounds are mounted about six feet up on the side and rear walls, about 7 to 9 feet from the main listening position.

In short, the system is stunning in many ways, but I’m perhaps most impressed by its dynamics – the system can play sensitive and softly, and can thunder with ease. They deliver music as well as soundtracks with incredible accuracy and neutrality, and, as expected, offer a seamless blend from front to back.

The Status Acoustic drivers used in the reference series produce a refined but never muted high end presentation – to my ears, they offer great clarity without fatigue or brightness. Crisp without silibance; tight without coloration.

In listening to Cloverfield (Blu-Ray), the incredibly complex sound mix is completely enveloping and revealing. Chicago (Blu-Ray) is lush and musical without ever becoming sloppy or unfocused.

The RBH’s ARE very revealing, and will exhibit mixing deficiencies and errors more readily than other speakers – this is most noticeable on some DirecTV material, where mis-mixedo or poorly recorded dialog is presented in all its lack of glory. Yet with properly mixed material, dialog is incredibly natural and well blended with the mains.

I’m still doing some experimenting with placement, but if there is one area the Mythos ST’s may have a slight edge, its in imaging – as great as the RBH’s are, there are times I’m recalling slightly more pinpoint accuracy and broader soundstage with the Mythos. But I also had the ST’s out further from the rear wall and toed differently, so I’ll withhold my final conclusions on this point until I experiment more. And the difference is extremely small…

The Fathoms match fine with the RBH’s – right now, I’m crossing at 70 in the front, 80 in the rear.

More later, but wanted to post this for now

Thanks

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
Here are a few "final" config shots, with the dual Fathoms in place...

I adjusted the toe-in (reduced), and re-ran Audyssey (which I and others have found notoriously finicky regarding mic position). And the soundstage improved noticeably - an incredible system....

C

csm_274

Audioholic Intern
I love the front L/C/R set-up with these RBH's - I'm considering something similar. One question...which RBH "in-ceiling" speakers would match up nicely with this set-up? I'm not really able to do the traditional surrounds (e.g. 61-SE, 41-SE, etc.).

I have a 18x19 room with 10 foot ceilings. Would I be okay with 66 SE/R's left and right with the 661 SE/R in the center? Can these speakers handle this much space? Also, will the RBH 12 SE sub handle this size room?

As you can tell, I'd like to make this a total RBH system.

Thanks

T

thrang

Audioholic Intern
I love the front L/C/R set-up with these RBH's - I'm considering something similar. One question...which RBH "in-ceiling" speakers would match up nicely with this set-up? I'm not really able to do the traditional surrounds (e.g. 61-SE, 41-SE, etc.).

I have a 18x19 room with 10 foot ceilings. Would I be okay with 66 SE/R's left and right with the 661 SE/R in the center? Can these speakers handle this much space? Also, will the RBH 12 SE sub handle this size room?

As you can tell, I'd like to make this a total RBH system.

Thanks
66-SE/R's are surrounds, not for front Left/Right . Do you mean 61-SE/R's?

I think they may be a bit small for your space - probably 661's as a minimum LCR. I use four 61-SE's as my side and rear surrounds

P

ParleyW

Audioholic
Ok so those of you who are actually have the T-1's, what center channel are you using? I would love to use another T-1 but i don't really have the space for it. Would something like the 661 be ok? Would it have and problem keeping up with the much larger T-1?
Way old thread, but RBH still has a few sx-6100 cabinets in stock.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis