How to develop "golden ears"

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
Since I was very young, I started to listen to music for its "emotion" and "detail". I started playing the guitar at 10 and know a fair amount about music theory. I can easily pick apart a song note for note on key and transcript it. This is where I started to notice small details in music and sought after hearing these details as best as possible. I remember messing with EQ's, wiring speakers to amps that simply dont go together, and using software to enhance stereo effect. I was young, stupid, but I tried.

Over the years of trial and much error, a metal band music producer told me to use no EQ and get a good set of speakers and amp. I thought about it for a long time, then it all made perfect sense to me. Now I dont have to go into why a flat response is good, but you all get the idea. Onto developing the golden ears....

Low level musical information is were all the details in music are. Many recordings have different volume levels on certain instruments, parts of the song, and have ambience and a sense of "being" in the music. The sounds are also dispersed differently in the soundstage, thus giving you positions of the sounds in recordings. The first step you should take is being able to hear even the most very quiet sounds with ease. Many people pass these sounds off as being almost in-audible for a reason (for instance, someone that listens to music for background noise). But remember that detail adds emotion to your listening experience, and the amount of low level information in most music is almost incomprehensible.

There are several factors in your gear and room that influence the sound, but yours ears are very important in determining proper sound. The best thing to do is listen to music with alot of detail and listen in lossless if possible.

The continous beat that every song has (you know, the kind you bob your head to) is the start and stop of a new measure in the song. Between these beats reside the low level imformation. Each tiny detail starts and stops on time, in some quater, eighth, sixteenth, etc... of the measure. The beats purpose is to lay a foundation for the detail. Certain sounds will start and stop at different times that others, or the different details will be in different tones and frequencies that form a musical scale of some kind. Yet, everything still flows and "resolves".

Hearing all of this detail is difficult to do if your thinking about sex or something. So just hop in your sweet spot, turn the lights, computers, TV OFF and close your eyes. Focus in on the music and dont think of yourself as listening inside a room, but inside your head. What you want to do is pick out any blurring that you thought was once in the recording. The blurring is still something, and you want to incorporate this "something" into the listening experience as best as possible.

Once you've trained your ears for detail, the next important thing is thing is putting it all together. If you haven't noticed already, there is alot of low level information that can catch you off guard if you never heard a certain detail before. The best way to get this to happen is to stop listening to the equipment and start involving yourself in the music. When I listen on a system I know nothing about, this is somehow easier. Ill come to find that the system is considered cheap yet I can still enjoy the music. Sometimes I feel like I challenge those shitty speakers with my trained ear to listen for the sounds that are supposed to be there, but barley show on low fidelity systems. Other times the cheap speaker will surprise me a little and challenge my ear.

The truth is this audiophile equipment that we all listen to is extremely well engineered and disply a mind blowing amount of detail. Even your average consumer grade 2 or 3 way modern speaker system has the capability of producing more than your ears can hear.

I feel like my purpose as an audiophile is to retrieve this low level information and do it as seamless and fun as possible. The only way to do this is to combine a good ear and good gear to setup a system as close to life as possible.

Any thoughts?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm waiting for the advertisement for Monster or some cable risers...

All you keep mumbling about is stuff that just makes perfectly good sense.

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
notice small details in music and sought after hearing these details as best as possible.

Any thoughts?

absolutely ! THAT is what most of us here are after !

that has been a lifelong trek for me !

I remember when stereo TV first came along,it was about the time "Miami Vice" was using Glenn Frey music for a tv show ! now THAT was exciting to me,and it was the beginning of this addiction we call home theater home stereo systems.

I have finally reached a point in my life that I can start to even come close to affording the equipment and know how to start to achieve that !

and BTW,you seem to have a way with words,in that IMO your post is nicely put !

I am at a point in my life now where my wife,my dog,my home and the occasional trip to Hawaii makes me happy,that's all I need,and well,uh,a little trout fishing now and then :)

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
Thank you for your post. It was very enjoyable to read :)

Music has a lot of layers and we can experience it in several ways, I can't dissect a song note by note but I take great pleasure in paying attention to the structure, melodies, rhythm, details, etc.

I'm on the start of the path to "golden (and expensive) ears" as I'm currently in the transition to better audio equipment with more definition that let's me hear more of the hidden details, so your post appears with a perfect timing :D

My latest joy is to lie on my bed at night, with a pair of Sony 7506s and just listen to music and find new details in songs I've listened for a long time. I find myself paying attention to those elusive sounds that only emerge with full focus and a very quiet listening environment.
This is fun and trains my brain to find the details more easily.

What I find not so fun but I believe that will be very rewarding, and will truly lead to better ears, is speaker comparison. This has been a real challenge. Analyzing tonal comparisons between speakers is very hard for someone with untrained ears. Just the task of taking notes about a pair of speakers is hard. But I've notice some improvements.

I still have a long way to my golden (y)ears, but the journey could well be the best part.

I am at a point in my life now where my wife,my dog,my home and the occasional trip to Hawaii makes me happy,that's all I need,and well,uh,a little trout fishing now and then
I don't have a dog and don't go fishing, but in these two last years I've been experiencing new pleasures in life like wine, spirited mountain driving and Audioholism. I've been happy and a few months I'll be a father. I may not have golden ears, but these are starting to be my golden years :D

tattoo_Dan

tattoo_Dan

Banned
and a few months I'll be a father. I may not have golden ears, but these are starting to be my golden years :D
congrats ! on the new fatherhood !

I am about to get my first grandchild in about 2 weeks ! :)

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Knowing about music doesn't necessarily mean that someone will know what sounds good, or great. It makes someone listen to the music differently, though. While we, as people who play instruments, may notice an interesting chord progression, rhythm, harmonization or the way the different sections are tied together, we are also paying attention to something other than the actual sounds and details. Saying that you want to be a "Golden-Eared Audiophile" is like saying that you want to be an art, food or wine aficionado- just wanting to be that doesn't make it possible. To know what sounds truly great, you would have to hear it and notice that it's much better than the rest of what's out there and to do this, you would need to listen to the best of the best, to have a reference. That said, without having listened to the best, it's still possible to consider your system to be "great-sounding", but there may not be any level of agreement among other audiophiles.

To consider yourself a "Golden-Eared Audiophile", carries with it a level of snobbery. You will usually find fault in the sound from other peoples' systems, you'll notice how bad the music sounds in a theater, grocery store, mall corridor, concert, music festival or anywhere else you are "subjected to bad sound". When you go to a store that sells audio equipment, you will most likely annoy the sales people by nit-picking and talking about what's there, but shouldn't be and what should be, but isn't. The people at some stores may eat this up but if you go to a store that isn't high-end, you'll be avoided like the plague by the sales staff, once they realize this. Trust me- when people are trying to make a buck, talking about the minute details of a receiver/amp's shortcomings will not win you any friends.

If you have been playing guitar since the age of ten, you have learned to listen to the music and learn songs, licks, chords and other details of the songs (I can't imagine not being able to learn by ear, but many can't). However, if you have played electric guitar for long, you can count on having some hearing damage. If you want to really know what you're hearing and why, have your hearing tested by a real audiologist and tell them why you're having the test. They usually don't go higher than 8K because their purpose it to make it possible for people to hear speech better, not music but if you know that you're more sensitive at 2K in one ear and the other ear's acuity is normal across the band, you'll know why it sounds like the left channel isn't as loud as the right. This will affect how you perceive many sounds (this, from personal experience).

If you list your absolute favorite guitar sounds (not effects), it's usually from the amp and speakers sounding good with a particular kind of guitar. A Marshall with Jensen speakers in an open cabinet is not going to give you the classic Marshall sound. For that, you need Celestion speakers in a closed cabinet. A Fender Bassman or Twin with Celestions on a closed cabinet will not give you the sounds made famous by those amps. That producer was right- get a great basic sound and it'll be easier to manage.

Something many people have never thought of: the music we listen to is an illusion. It's not the way it sounded in the studio, if a studio was even involved at all. Placement of the instruments, ambience, timbre, frequency response of each instrument and the whole- all determined by the engineer and/or producer. A guitar that sounds huge on record may have been recorded with a Strat and a Tweed Champ and no effects (Layla). In a studio, less is always able to sound like more and engineers hate excesses in sound unless they can control it and use it to their advantage.

You posted "Once you've trained your ears for detail, the next important thing is thing is putting it all together.". It requires training the mind, at least as much. Ears don't remember, the mind does. Ears don't think that a little added at 4K makes the soundstage seem wider or that a little more at 8K makes it seem higher. That's called 'psychoacoustics' and it's used in recordings all the time, whether the person mixing/mastering knows why, or not. The mind is at least as involved in our perception of how we hear as our ears. It fills in blank spots in sound and ignores others without us having to even think about it.

If you become obsessed with creating a system that's as close to life as possible, your listening room will have to mirror a studio's control/mixdown room because that's where the decisions were made to make it sound the way it does. They may listen on a small system because they know most people don't have a snowball's chance of hearing it the way they do and in fact, many good producers listen to what they record on a boombox or a factory car stereo. They usually want it to cut through and sound good where people listen most- while they drive or as background. Very little is mixed for "Golden-Eared Audiophiles", using high-end equipment. There is no real standard for a music system, although THX does try to make it possible to hear a movie soundtrack sound as similar in as manyh places as possible.

YMMV

J

jamie2112

Banned
One question: if you have "golden Ears" why are you not making money with them? I am an audio engineer with 3 platinum recordings to my credit and I would never use that analogy of having golden ears. Its funny cause a few years back I was in a conversation about golden ears with Joe Gastwirt a friend and a multiplatinum award winning grammy engineer and he said it is an onrunning joke in the recording industry who has the "golden ears". It is all subjective to what you are listening to and how it was recorded. In other words that listening critically to something that was produced badly is just going to piss you off and then you are really not enjoying the music. I myself love plenty of music that was not recorded in a real studio and does not sound good on my system yet I still listen to it for the performance. I am glad you like to listen critically to music but some of the enjoyment gets lost along the way IMO of course.....

J

jamie2112

Banned
Did you invent compression? :D

Which recordings? Don't be such a tease. :)
Yes I did invent compression thanks for asking.....:D I am not going to talk about which recordings went platinum. I just don't need it to be common knowlage on these sites.....

W

westcott

Audioholic General
I find listnening to many different systems, preferably back to back or even in the same house\building very beneficial.

Room acoustics really affect the sound of even the same equipment.

This is where I would start if I wanted to develop better listening skills and to be able to tell the difference between a properly setup system and one that is not. I dare not say golden ears.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Does having a "Golden" four legged listener help? :rolleyes:

Thanks for you input !

I try to listen with a quality ear, maybe not quite at the golden level.

M

mike_wassell

Audioholic Intern
Having golden ears has nothing to do with snobbery but everything to do with experience. I do not consider golden ears as snobbery but consider it a taste cultivated by experience. Snobbery is just a lack of humility. Just like eating gourmet food or fine wine you never know what you are missing until you have the good stuff. Most people just lack the experience.

I consider myself as having golden ears but this started 30 years ago in high school. I joined up for the choir – thought I would be a rock star. I was in for a big surprise when the choir teacher (he had a PhD in music and was an opera singer) demanded the best out of us and his passion and attention to detail for music has never been match by anyone in my life. This is when I first gained an appreciation of sound and paying attention to the details of the sound – no stereo system involved. It was not until college when I first heard a good stereo system. Nothing by today’s standards but the best sound I ever heard to date. Then a couple of years later I heard a McIntosh Dolby surround system playing Star Wars and I was hooked. I knew what good sound was and how to appreciate it – I could not settle for less.

I can’t tell you how many times after exposing someone to my system or just being out and wondering into a high-end store with someone that they completely change their attitude about what is good sound. “How could you ever spend that much on speakers” – then after listening “now I understand”. It is a very personal thing to me and most times I never say anything to anyone when I experience their home theater or stereo system. Eventually I invite them over to my place and they are usually blown away (I have JMLab [Focal] 7.1 speaker system and Parasound amps). However I know that you can have the same type of experience with a PSB Alpha speaker system ($250.00/pair) and an entry level Yamaha receiver if it is set up correctly - I have.

It’s an acquired taste – a way of life not snobbery. Although there are snobs out there that do have golden ears and let you know. It’s just like anything else - you have people that know what good food is and people that can be a** holes about it. It comes down to humility. There and humble people and a** holes.

Having a golden ear has nothing to do with snobbery but everything to do with experience.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Having golden ears has nothing to do with snobbery but everything to do with experience. I do not consider golden ears as snobbery but consider it a taste cultivated by experience. Snobbery is just a lack of humility. Just like eating gourmet food or fine wine you never know what you are missing until you have the good stuff. Most people just lack the experience.

I consider myself as having golden ears but this started 30 years ago in high school. I joined up for the choir – thought I would be a rock star. I was in for a big surprise when the choir teacher (he had a PhD in music and was an opera singer) demanded the best out of us and his passion and attention to detail for music has never been match by anyone in my life. This is when I first gained an appreciation of sound and paying attention to the details of the sound – no stereo system involved. It was not until college when I first heard a good stereo system. Nothing by today’s standards but the best sound I ever heard to date. Then a couple of years later I heard a McIntosh Dolby surround system playing Star Wars and I was hooked. I knew what good sound was and how to appreciate it – I could not settle for less.

I can’t tell you how many times after exposing someone to my system or just being out and wondering into a high-end store with someone that they completely change their attitude about what is good sound. “How could you ever spend that much on speakers” – then after listening “now I understand”. It is a very personal thing to me and most times I never say anything to anyone when I experience their home theater or stereo system. Eventually I invite them over to my place and they are usually blown away (I have JMLab [Focal] 7.1 speaker system and Parasound amps). However I know that you can have the same type of experience with a PSB Alpha speaker system ($250.00/pair) and an entry level Yamaha receiver if it is set up correctly - I have.

It’s an acquired taste – a way of life not snobbery. Although there are snobs out there that do have golden ears and let you know. It’s just like anything else - you have people that know what good food is and people that can be a** holes about it. It comes down to humility. There and humble people and a** holes.

Having a golden ear has nothing to do with snobbery but everything to do with experience.
What I really meant is that having Golden Ears isn't a license to be a snob about it, but too many people think it does. Unfortunately, I have met more of the bad ones than I care to have, since I've been in the audio business for over 30 years. The ones I really like say little when they hear something that doesn't meet their standards and wait for questions, instead. I don't ever want to be in the position of telling someone that their system is the worst imaginable when it's their pride and joy. When someone starts going into the fine details of audio after hearing that I'm in the business, I usually change the subject, especially when it's clear that what they say isn't based in fact.

Humility is a rare thing, these days.

C

Cavediver

Audioholic
I don't know if I have golden ears or not, but I do know that after a couple of margaritas, the music starts to sound really "silky". :)

J

jamie2112

Banned
That's cool, I like guessing games. Let's see ...

Exactly how many of 'these sites' are you on? :confused:
Now I feel dirty. :rolleyes: :p
How did you figure it out Alex? You are good buddy...:D

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jamie2112

Banned
Actually this is the only site I am a part of Alex. Believe it or not but its true...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis