Really Boring Stuff Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Wait till the carpet is done before you paint.
They are gonna mess your walls up too.
Paint goes last. ;)
Everybody has said that paint goes FIRST. That makes sense to me because then I won't be as panicked about spilling paint on the new floor.

I sure hope the carpet folks don't jack up my walls.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Everybody has said that paint goes FIRST. That makes sense to me because then I won't be as panicked about spilling paint on the new floor.

I sure hope the carpet folks don't jack up my walls.
Well it makes sense, except that.... when you have carpenters or any other kinds of so-called professionals in the house, they will always do whatever they can to break absolutely everything possible in the house, they will empty the things you buy for the kids, they will finish all beer in the house, if there's something like that, they will break your frying pan, make sure the fridge gets broken until they're finished, they will cut electrical wires they're not supposed to, they will leave the electrical wires live, unshielded, so that the house may catch fire and burn to the ground, if you're unlucky... They will leave the premises with unfinished work and disappear like they fallen into a black hole, never answering emails, phone calls or sms'es.... all the walls in the house that are newly painted need to be fixed, they leave a lot of rubbish all over for me to clean up after them, the kitchen looks like there's been elephants there, just coming out from a bath in a sewer, and I just completely refurbished the kitchen, floors, ceiling....

And they always walk around inside all of the house with extremely dirty shoes, even if I tell them to take them off when they get inside, and they do everything to mess up all the floors as much as possible (Over her it's common practice to take OFF SHOES when entering a house)

This is just some of my experiences with "professionals".... this summer and fall :rolleyes:

J

jamie2112

Banned
Adam I painted my house before I got the carpet in because,like you I was worried about not getting all the spills on a dropcloth. It seemed to work out for me as my carpet guys were very clean and watched out for the walls.I did have to do 1 touch up on the stairs because they scraped the wall putting in the step carpet. I do hate to paint though and don't envy you buddy....:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks, Harald and Jamie.

Harald - sounds like you've have MUCH worse luck than me. :) These guys weren't that bad. They weren't the level of service that I expected from this store at this price, though - I would have just hired a smaller and cheaper outfit like my neighbor did had I known what I do now. I will probably make some comments to the contractor and the chain store in reference to the 18-year-old, as I think that his tile cuts were much rougher and not up to par.

Jamie - I'm right there with you. I don't mind painting so much, but the prep work SUCKS. :D Cleaning the walls, fixing cracks, masking off areas...uggg.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
I have to give a presentation tomorrow for 45min. at a University. :eek::(

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
If there are some hot coeds there remember the old adage for overcoming stagefright for public speakers -- "picture your audience naked". :D :D :D
Engineers. :/ It'll probably be dudes and ugly chicks.

I'm the most unprofessional engineer ever, so normally students like me, but its still a bit nervewrecking. I prefer talking to small groups.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
Ahhh, I know your situation well. In that case, let me recommend the mental third eyelid. It helps me block out any nude or even clothed image of the audience.
Yeah, what I'm talking about is so boring and I don't know if I explain it well or not.

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
The ultrasonic treatment of composite materials.

It's gunna go something like this (I can type as fast as I can speak, actually a bit faster):

In here to show you what has been done to gain a visual understanding of ultrasonic processing of composite materials. Also, coensiding with that we will go through some of the machining difficulties. As mentioned earlier, we delt with three fiber reinforcements in an epoxy matrix: s-glass, carbon-fiber, and aramid. S-glass is fairly easy to cut, with only minor decrease in tool life, high speed steel even works fairly well with s-glass. The biggest bother is the dust, which is itchy. Carbon-fiber isn't as easy to machine, with about 1000X the abrasivess of medium carbon steel. Particulate and VOCs range depending on who you talk to, but its a good idea when cutting carbon-fiber to keep a mask on. With carbon-fiber delaminations need to be monitored, because of its stiff nature. Aramid/Kevlar fibersare the most difficult, they tend to fray and dull tooling extremely fast. High speed steel, tungsten carbide and even diamond saws do not provide clean cuts and good tool life. A waterjet is the best way to cut these.

So here is S-glass under a stereomicroscope. Fairly difficult microstructure to view using a stsreomicroscope, because of the simularity in color between the resin and the fibers. Treated specimen are seen at the top, untreated at the bottom.

Next slide:
This is a closer view of the treated S-glass, at the break post-bending. It clearly shows the bi-directional layers and will prepare you as we move closer.

Next Slide:
The increase of thickness was determined to be from premature gelling of the resin due to the heat from the transducer. Heat speeds curing, and the energy from the transducer when placed too long is kicking off the resin... its starting to gel before we can pull a vacuum on it. However, you do see increased resin saturation through inflated lamina thickness (more resin soaked into fibers), which is good. The resin pooling between layers, is bad, however. These sort of battle eachother, but the increased resin penetration doesn't offset the magnitude of the thickness, brittle resin layer in bending.

Next Slide:
Another key goal with ultrasonic treatment was to reduce void content. Air voids are bubbles deposited throughout the matrix that are stress concentrations, and cause lack of cohesion between layer. From this photograph at 50x, you can see an example of a void. It may or may not have been induced during machining, but there are some that likely are actual air voids, well micro-airvoids, in later slides. Ultrasound NDT should be used to evaluate specimen if void content is of question.

Next Slide:
Here is treated carbon fiber specimen, also with a thickness increase.Fractured carbon-fiber specimen showed the typicall britlle nature of the material with increased stiffness causing a two-stage break in three point bending.

Next Slide:
This is a closer 20 micron shot of the carbon-fiber failure in bending.

Next Slide:
The aramid fibers are the easiest to view using the stereomicroscope. White areas are on the 90, yellow on the o-deg fabric directions. These were cut using a waterjet, which produced a clear view at this magnification.

Next Slide: Kevlar's toughnass may be seen here, a classic example of fibular-failure modes.

Next Slide:
Untreated specimen on your left, treated on your right. Notice the increase in resin penetration on the treated specimen, yet also a thick film of resin inbetween layers.

Next Slide: Next specimen were cold mounted and coated for use in a scanning electron microscope. Higher magnification, 3D view,

Next slide: Treated specimen shoed areas with decreased voids and others with increased. Hand application is likely the problem, because when you lift up the transducer it will displace air moved or pulled wet surface. We need to develop a press to take the human element out of this.

Next slide:

Now we are at 10um in scale on the SEM, focused on S-glass fibers. On the left is treated S-glass, well penetrated with resin, and on the right treated glass on the 0-deg plane, which has stripped resin.

Next Slide: Here we see an air void, a micro-airvoid. 10um scale right now, in these air void regions fibers tend to seperate and brittle resin rich areas form around the boundaries.

This is a 1um shot of the side of a micro-bubble.

Next Slide: A problem area in S-glass, where the transducer was lifted.

Next Slide: This is a good visual of carbon-fiber delaminations. Layers of parallel fibers have seperated from the perpendicular fibers, leaving a long thin delaminated area.

We are at 1um.

Next Slide:
10um scale, view is of carbon-fiber micro-delamination. Layers of parallel fibers have seperated from the perpendicular fibers leaving a long thin delamination area.

Next Slide:
Zooming out we put this into perspective. The black bit in the upper left is the micro-delaminated viewed earlier. On the macroscopic level these are not visible and therefore go un-noticed during visual inspection.

And on

and on

and on

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've now started moving stuff out of the living room in preparation for painting/new carpet. The rear speakers and stands are out, as is the center channel. The IPS-1 has been removed from the system, and probably won't make it back - my receiver sounds as good and doesn't hum loudly. The RPA-1 is next, but I'm taking a break because I'm not sure how I'm going to get that bad boy off of the shelf that it's on. Heck, I can't remember how I got it up there to begin with.

BTW, eight and a half years of dust isn't really dust anymore - it's dirt. Piles of it. Based on the depth of it, nearby electrical fields, and statistics - I'd say that the stuff inside was about three and a half months away from developing warp drive and initiating first contact. Too bad that I needed to clean it off to paint. Oh, well. We humans have Easy Mac in ready-made bowls. Good enough for me.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sensi, you've got nothing to worry about. They'll be unconscious by slide three, and then you can say anything that you want. :D

J/K, man. Well, kinda. :p

[BTW, composite materials intrigue me. Not enough to study them, but enough that I'll read about them here.]

Phil Taylor

Phil Taylor

Senior Audioholic
The ultrasonic treatment of composite materials.

It's gunna go something like this (I can type as fast as I can speak, actually a bit faster):

In here to show you what has been done to gain a visual understanding of ultrasonic processing of composite materials. Also, coensiding with that we will go through some of the machining difficulties. As mentioned earlier, we delt with three fiber reinforcements in an epoxy matrix: s-glass, carbon-fiber, and aramid. S-glass is fairly easy to cut, with only minor decrease in tool life, high speed steel even works fairly well with s-glass. The biggest bother is the dust, which is itchy. Carbon-fiber isn't as easy to machine, with about 1000X the abrasivess of medium carbon steel. Particulate and VOCs range depending on who you talk to, but its a good idea when cutting carbon-fiber to keep a mask on. With carbon-fiber delaminations need to be monitored, because of its stiff nature. Aramid/Kevlar fibersare the most difficult, they tend to fray and dull tooling extremely fast. High speed steel, tungsten carbide and even diamond saws do not provide clean cuts and good tool life. A waterjet is the best way to cut these.

-snip-

Next Slide:
Zooming out ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

and on

and on
Perfect for this thread .... ZZZZzzzzzzz..... ;) :D :D

MidnightSensi

MidnightSensi

Audioholic Samurai
What ever happened to best thread ever nominations? I know some of us put a vote in for this thread, did we win? Or is that decided at the end of the year?

Sensi, you've got nothing to worry about. They'll be unconscious by slide three, and then you can say anything that you want. :D

J/K, man. Well, kinda. :p

[BTW, composite materials intrigue me. Not enough to study them, but enough that I'll read about them here.]
Haha, thanks.

Well if you ever want to ask a question feel free, I'm a mechanical and composite engineer. I'd even make it interesting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis