rock band 2 vs guitar hero ???

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
So my boy (8yo) wants rock band 2/guitar hero for x-mas...I'll want to buy the latest version of which ever one but which one to buy??? My wife and I will play it also so which is the better all round game? Oh yeah, full bundle drums and all for the Wii. (I know that rock band 2 for the Wii wont be out till after x-mas but I'll figure that dilemma out my after I figure out which game.)

Opinions please.

SBF1

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
I play on the PS 3, so I can't really comment on the Wii version. But I started with GH, then went to GH 2, GH 80's, but then ended up returning GH 3. I HATED how the old GH guitars didn't work with GH 3. I already had 2 guitars in my living room, NO WAY was I buying a couple more.

So then I tried Rock Band. In my opinion, Rock Band kicks the crap out of GH in every way!! I recently bought GH World Tour and didn't like it near as much as RB. I'll probably end up returning it. The song choices, amount of downloadable content, (although this doesn't apply to the Wii version), character animations and all-around playability are all much better on Rock Band.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I play on the PS 3, so I can't really comment on the Wii version. But I started with GH, then went to GH 2, GH 80's, but then ended up returning GH 3. I HATED how the old GH guitars didn't work with GH 3. I already had 2 guitars in my living room, NO WAY was I buying a couple more.

So then I tried Rock Band. In my opinion, Rock Band kicks the crap out of GH in every way!! I recently bought GH World Tour and didn't like it near as much as RB. I'll probably end up returning it. The song choices, amount of downloadable content, (although this doesn't apply to the Wii version), character animations and all-around playability are all much better on Rock Band.
Thanks darien87. I was told by One employee of Gamestop that they were pretty equal and by another that Rock Band 2 was the way to go.

Well The Wii version won't be out in time (rocket scientists:rolleyes:)...X-box 360 or PS3.......

SBF1

Nemo128

Nemo128

Audioholic Field Marshall
I love homestarrunner.com :D

As for RB and GH, a lot of my friends do not like the track selection on RB2. However, I personally do like it, and I thought RB was far better than any GH game.

BUT, if you go to Gamestop, you should be able to pre-order RB2 Special Edition with all the instruments for 12/24 pickup. Then you'll have it for XMas! :D

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I feel like Rock Band's difficulty levels are below Guitar Hero's. Anyone else think this?

Nemo128

Nemo128

Maybe you've just gotten that awesome at RB. =)

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I love homestarrunner.com :D

As for RB and GH, a lot of my friends do not like the track selection on RB2. However, I personally do like it, and I thought RB was far better than any GH game.

BUT, if you go to Gamestop, you should be able to pre-order RB2 Special Edition with all the instruments for 12/24 pickup. Then you'll have it for XMas! :D
Hey Nemo128,

What a coincidence! I just pre-ordered RB2 for the Wii over lunch and they gave me a date of 12-19 (no garuntee...):)

SBF1

ps Strongbad e-mail rules!

Nemo128

Nemo128

Hey Nemo128,

What a coincidence! I just pre-ordered RB2 for the Wii over lunch and they gave me a date of 12-19 (no garuntee...):)

SBF1

ps Strongbad e-mail rules!
Yeah, they're saying that, but it will definitely be by the 24th the latest. It'll be a great XMas for your lil one! :)

A

alexsound

Audioholic

Darien,
Song selection aside, who has the better drum set? I am looking at getting one of these 2 for my son, and I know I've heard one of these has a crappy drum set (poor response to hits, poor build quality, etc) but I don't know which. When I ask my both my supposed gamer sons, they don't really know. On a reliability scale, which would you pick? BTW, it can be for either the 360 or PS3.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Darien,
Song selection aside, who has the better drum set? I am looking at getting one of these 2 for my son, and I know I've heard one of these has a crappy drum set (poor response to hits, poor build quality, etc) but I don't know which. When I ask my both my supposed gamer sons, they don't really know. On a reliability scale, which would you pick? BTW, it can be for either the 360 or PS3.
Sorry, but I can't comment on the drum kit that comes with GHWT, I just bought the game by itself. But from what I've read and heard, I think you're referring to the GH drum kit. It seems like there's always a learning curve for the developers with these instruments. The new RB guitars are better IMO than the old RB guitars. So, since this is GH's first shot at drums, I think they've had some quality problems.

I will say that the pads that come with the RB kit are too loud. They're so loud that you really have to crank the music up to drown out the clacking that the sticks make when they hit the pads.

On the set that came with RB 1, I ended up cutting circles out of rubber-like "mouse pad" material, and that made them quite a bit quieter. Not quiet enough, but better. One common problem the first set had, was that the bass pedal would snap pretty easily. Gimme a break, why would you think that a piece of plastic would stand up to constant stomping? :rolleyes: I actually didn't play the drums much, as they're pretty hard when you get to hard or expert level. But I didn eventually end up snapping my bass pedal while playing "You got another thing comin'" on expert. :D So I ended up buying the new set that comes with RB 2. This set is wireless and comes with a metal reinforced pedal. The pads are a little quieter than the old ones, but still too loud in my opinion. I've seen the game stores actually carry pad deadeners, so I guess a lot of people were complaining about the noise.

I ended up buying the 2 cymbal attachment for my RB drums, (about $30). This makes them a lot more fun. I HATED reaching all the way to the right for the green crash. Now with the cymbal attachment, I have it up high to the right. Feels a lot more realistic.

The GHWT set comes with the 2 cymbals. But as I said, I haven't played with it. So GH might have the advantage there.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

The GHWT drum kit is pretty darn cool. That said, I had to return the first set that I received b/c of faulty wiring (one of the cymbals didn't work). I haven't played RB, but my wife and I LOVE GHWT. I actually think it's a bit easier to play that GH3- certainly on the guitar. The drums take some getting used to- particularly on the easiest levels. I've actually found it "easier" to play on the harder levels for the drums, even if I miss more notes, because you actually get to play the song.

I don't think you could really go wrong with either.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Both games are good.

I think GH:WT is easier than RB2 (at least on hard and above). GH:WT has a cool song creator and you can download songs that others have posted online which is pretty cool. RB2 has a bigger song selection (at least if you have the RB1 disc...)

I don't think you'll be unhappy with either...both are fun.

A

alexsound

Audioholic
Picked up RB2 yesterday with the cymbal kit (extra 30 bones) at Gamestop for the 360.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Picked up RB2 yesterday with the cymbal kit (extra 30 bones) at Gamestop for the 360.
I like the cymbals, but no matter how tight you put them on, they always seem to slide down, while you're playing, until the cymbal is resting on whatever pad is directly below it. Not a huge deal, but kinda annoying.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks again to everyone. RB2 is a big hit in the SBF1 household. My boy's favorite present.:cool:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis