Behringer amp A500 - Need hook-up help

G

gbsdirect

Audiophyte
I can't seem to get my Behringer amp to work. I believe I hooked it up correctly but please let me know.

I came out of the receiver with left and right speaker wires. I then connected the left speaker wire set to a 1/4" TRS connector & inserted it into "input 1" and I connected the right speaker wire set to "Input 2" the same way. I then connected the speaker outputs from the amp to the speaker selector input, but no sound comes out of the speakers.

I then did the same setup using the RCA inputs instead of the 1/4" TRS connector, but still no sound.

I can bypass the amp and sound comes out of the speakers. I can also connect the left, red wire to Input 1 and the left, black wire to input 2 and then I'll get sound out of the left side of each speaker.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
you do NOT connect the speaker outputs of your reciever (I assume) to the input of the Behringer. Your reciever needs to have RCA Pre amp outputs and you connect these to the RCA inputs on the behringer, And then you hook your speakers to the behringer. The speaker outputs on your reciever will no longer be used for anything, for the channels you plan to use the behringer amp for.

The manual should explain pretty straight forward how to hook it up.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Nope. it's not hooked up correctly.

Like the man said, you DON'T want to feed the speaker outputs of a receiver/amp into the input of a power amp. It's way too strong and of too low an impedance for the amp to swallow. You're lucky it isn't broken.

You need to feed the Beheringer from a preamp (line level) output on your receiver.

Didn't it come with a manual?

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
Yeah you can't hook up the A500 that way. You need RCA preamp outputs from your source.

Some integrated amps have high-level inputs like this one (see terminals on left hand side next to the RCA inputs):

G

gbsdirect

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks for all the quick replys. Interestingly, the manual doesn't mention anything about feeding the amp from a pre-amp output on the receiver. I believe this model amp is mostly used for studio work.

The other problem I have is that there are no pre-amp outputs on the receiver (Onkyo TXSV525). Any suggestions, or am I going to have to return this pre-amp back to the store I purchased it from?

Thanks,

Chris

J

jamie2112

Banned
I would take it back if you don't have pre outs.It is useless to you at this point.Unless of course you are going to get a new AVR..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for all the quick replys. Interestingly, the manual doesn't mention anything about feeding the amp from a pre-amp output on the receiver. I believe this model amp is mostly used for studio work.

The other problem I have is that there are no pre-amp outputs on the receiver (Onkyo TXSV525). Any suggestions, or am I going to have to return this pre-amp back to the store I purchased it from?

Thanks,

Chris
You need to return it, but you may well have blown it up already! The fact you got no sound at all suggests you did blow it up. Line level is two volts, and depending on the power of your receiver, it has put probably at least 40 volts to the input of the amp, and likely more. Connect a CD player with a volume control to the input of that amp. If you hear nothing, then you have blown up the input stages. If you are honest you need to fess up on return, otherwise you are being unfair to the dealer and manufacturer, who will both be having a hard time these days.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for all the quick replys. Interestingly, the manual doesn't mention anything about feeding the amp from a pre-amp output on the receiver.
It doesn't say anything about connecting it to speaker outputs either, does it?

The specs do indicate an input impedance of 10,000 ohms. You know a speaker output is looking for around 8 ohms, didn't you? That should have been be a pretty good hint. Add to that the fact that there's no provision for a speaker level input on the amp, either.

I believe this model amp is mostly used for studio work.
You believe rightly, but if used properly it can easily be used for consumer electronics as well. Simply provide it with a line-level signal from a preamp

No real suggestions you're gona like. You simply can't use an external power amp with your receiver. You need one with preamp outputs if that's your plan.

By the way, that Behringer is NOT a preamp. It's a POWER amp. Perhaps a bit of lurking here might do you some good. A knowledge of the basics and some rudimentary terminology might help you in the future with understanding what you read pertaining to this stuff.

Good luck returning whatever it is you want to return.

Last edited:
Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
The specs do indicate an input impedance of 10,000 ohms. You know a speaker output is looking for around 8 ohms, didn't you? That should have been be a pretty good hint.

I would have to say its pretty unlikely he would know what input and output impedance actually means before learning how things are hooked up.

A good way to learn is by making mistakes, although there are easier ways to learn av hookup, At least now you know ;)

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Sounds like you blew up the amp. It took me 5 seconds to do a search on google "How to connect amplifier to receiver" to get the answer. In fact there are plenty of pics online and on this forum to help guide you. It's possible you could've even hurt yourself. Next time just do a little bit of searching.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Granted.

I would have to say its pretty unlikely he would know what input and output impedance actually means before learning how things are hooked up.

A good way to learn is by making mistakes, although there are easier ways to learn av hookup, At least now you know ;)
But, by his stating (implying) that it's the manuals fault, I think he was trying to deny ownership of his complicity here.

I think I covered that pretty well in the previous and following sentences to those you post. But, yeah, I guess I could have just left the sentences you highlight out and made my point equally well.

It doesn't say anything about connecting it to speaker outputs either, does it?

The specs do indicate an input impedance of 10,000 ohms. You know a speaker output is looking for around 8 ohms, didn't you? That should have been be a pretty good hint. Add to that the fact that there's no provision for a speaker level input on the amp, either.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
At least the pro audio amps are hearty and rugged enough to survive this kind of abuse. I doubt he hurt anything.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
At least the pro audio amps are hearty and rugged enough to survive this kind of abuse. I doubt he hurt anything.
Pro audio has nothing to do with it. The first stage will be an op amp. If he turned up the volume very far, I know of no audio op amp that would tolerate that. I bet the input stage is fried at the op amp, from a healthy arc and weld across the first base/emitter junction in the chip.

If it did not fry, he would have got sound out of it, but clipped. If there was no sound its fried.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis