G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Only in a recent firmware (2.3x or 2.4x) update did they even make it so that you could do an update without the controller plugged in. And these controllers DO have to be connected with the cable at least once for the system to recognize it as a local device, which is a little different than other devices that have to be added via the BT menu. I know this because I bought a used controller from someone and it would not connect to my system until it was plugged in, as well as my son's friend brought one of his over to play COD4 and we had to do the same. While there may not be much going on between the system and the controller, it isn't simply for charging, and you can charge the controllers other ways without the PS3.
I have owned a PS3 since FW 1.8 and I have never had to connect the remote via USB to update the firmware. The PS3 remotes work the same exact way as the Wii which are bluetooth as well. You do not need to physically connect the controller to the console to sync them. I have had my PS3 for a over a year and the only time it has asked me to plug in the controller was when the battery was low.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
I have owned a PS3 since FW 1.8 and I have never had to connect the remote via USB to update the firmware. The PS3 remotes work the same exact way as the Wii which are bluetooth as well. You do not need to physically connect the controller to the console to sync them. I have had my PS3 for a over a year and the only time it has asked me to plug in the controller was when the battery was low.

You are correct that you don't need to connect for a firmware update. It's only using the wireless function when not connected to the USB port. Therefore it does communicate through the USB port when connected.

http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Using/WirelessController
Using the Controller Wirelessly
Disconnect the USB cable to use the controller wirelessly.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You DID need to connect the controller EVERY TIME there was an update, whenever the PS3 restarted after the update - it would not complete the update until the controller was connected via USB. I have had my PS3 since they came out and this was always the case until about 4-5 months ago. It was in the official release notes for whatever update it was that said you no longer have to have a controller connected via USB to complete the update, and I remember it distinctly because it always bugged me that you had to connect it for no apparent reason other than confirming the on screen actions. If you've had it for that long, you would have experienced this too, so I don't see how you can say otherwise?

With the other controllers that I connected to mine, both had been attached to another PS3, so in order for them to communicate with my PS3, they HAD to be connected, once they were seen, they worked wirelessly just fine. Otherwise, it would just sit there and flash looking for the PS3 that it thinks it is connected to, like any BT device would when it was out of range.

Last edited:
Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I gotta back John up on this one. I had to physically plug my PS3 controller in when I did updates until recently. It was really irritating. Maybe its more dependent on the model somehow. FWIW, i've got the 80gb model, that's the original 80g which plays SACD and has the extra ports on it.

On all my old controllers (PS2) when the motion started drifting I had to replace them. I'm sure it's possible to fix them somehow, but everyone I know, myself included, was never able to. My old roommate played his PS2 ~50hours a week, his controllers usually started moving funky after about half a year.

Jack

perkey84

perkey84

Enthusiast
Yeah Its the controller. go get another one and I bet that fixes it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah Its the controller. go get another one and I bet that fixes it.
He did, and it did :)

Only one of mine has started to drift intermittently, but not so bad that it happens all the time. Every once in a while I will be running along in a game and all of a sudden the character takes off or keeps going in whichever direction and won't stop. A little shaking of the stick gets it back. The second I got about the same time and it doesn't seem to have that issue - $25 open box from BB. The third, I got from a person who bought his PS3 for movies only, no games, so he had the controller sitting there unused because all he used was the BD remote - when it showed up it was literally brand new for $30 shipped.

K

KozyEmilio

Audiophyte
try t reconfig your controller hit the reset button on the top see if that works if not i think ur controller may be messed up

Matt34

Matt34

Well my replacement controller has died on me. Won't turn on for nothing.:mad: Luckily I still have the receipt from Game Stop.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have never conected my controller to update firmware so maybe it depends on model??? I have had mine for over a year.

EDIT

Crap, I remember the update now so you are correct.

Forgive me John, I drink a lot....
You DID need to connect the controller EVERY TIME there was an update, whenever the PS3 restarted after the update - it would not complete the update until the controller was connected via USB. I have had my PS3 since they came out and this was always the case until about 4-5 months ago. It was in the official release notes for whatever update it was that said you no longer have to have a controller connected via USB to complete the update, and I remember it distinctly because it always bugged me that you had to connect it for no apparent reason other than confirming the on screen actions. If you've had it for that long, you would have experienced this too, so I don't see how you can say otherwise?

With the other controllers that I connected to mine, both had been attached to another PS3, so in order for them to communicate with my PS3, they HAD to be connected, once they were seen, they worked wirelessly just fine. Otherwise, it would just sit there and flash looking for the PS3 that it thinks it is connected to, like any BT device would when it was out of range.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is pretty odd. My controllers are a year old and aside from some minor sticking in one stick and the batteries not holding charge quite as long, I haven't had issues with mine - and they have seen a LOT of hours of use. Sorry to hear it.

Matt34

Matt34

Well I was able to solve the latest problem with the dead controller. I guess the USB cable that came with the PS3 is bad. I bought one of those Energizer dual charger setups and it now I have a working controller. I'm going to send the first controller back to Sony and get it fixed. Has anyone dealt with Sony in this capacity?

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
No experience with warrantying a controller. I can say that for my PS3 the whole experience was better than I expected. They sent me a box with UPS overnight air return shipping, then took about a week to fix it and sent it back regular UPS. It was a little over two weeks total time, I was happy I didn't have to pay for shipping at all. I don't know if they handle controllers the same way. Have you called them and asked, 800-345-7669? I found them to be pretty straight forward.

Jack

Matt34

Matt34

No experience with warrantying a controller. I can say that for my PS3 the whole experience was better than I expected. They sent me a box with UPS overnight air return shipping, then took about a week to fix it and sent it back regular UPS. It was a little over two weeks total time, I was happy I didn't have to pay for shipping at all. I don't know if they handle controllers the same way. Have you called them and asked, 800-345-7669? I found them to be pretty straight forward.

Jack
Thanks for the info, plan on giving them a call tomorrow.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis