Audyssey Dynamic Volume Interview

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
We interviewed Kris Kyriakakis at the 2008 Audioholics Expo about the new Audyssey Dynamic Volume which is appearing in Denon and Onkyo receivers this year (and some others as well). The new technology allows consumers to listen to their multichannel audio and movies at levels far below reference levels without missing out on important surround sound information, or getting blown away by peak sound effects. The technology works by adjusting dynamics with multi-channel sources in mind - and in a way that preserves the intended mix. It also takes care of the excessive volume associated with hyper-compressed television commercials and varying source levels. Once Audyssey is set, it takes care of the rest, no matter what volume level you are listening at.

Discuss "Audyssey Dynamic Volume Interview" here. Read the article.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
Alrighty!

So the obvious question:

Dolby Volume vs. Audyssey Dynamic Volume

Which one wins?

I love that Audioholics had both on display at the show, but I've yet to come across a really detailed and unbiased comparison. Both Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic Volume purport to do exactly the same thing, but I've consistently heard Dolby claiming that theirs is better.

I've also heard the staff at Emotiva say (in their podcast) that they compared Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic Volume and came to the conclusion that Dolby Volume was better because it produced virtually zero audible artifacts, while Audyssey Dynamic Volume still produced some audible artifacts.

So what is Audioholics' take?

On a related note - lordy...could we use some dynamic volume on the Audioholics' embedded videos? That intro and outro music rips my eardrums!

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Alrighty!

So the obvious question:

Dolby Volume vs. Audyssey Dynamic Volume

Which one wins?

I love that Audioholics had both on display at the show, but I've yet to come across a really detailed and unbiased comparison. Both Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic Volume purport to do exactly the same thing, but I've consistently heard Dolby claiming that theirs is better.

I've also heard the staff at Emotiva say (in their podcast) that they compared Dolby Volume and Audyssey Dynamic Volume and came to the conclusion that Dolby Volume was better because it produced virtually zero audible artifacts, while Audyssey Dynamic Volume still produced some audible artifacts.

So what is Audioholics' take?

On a related note - lordy...could we use some dynamic volume on the Audioholics' embedded videos? That intro and outro music rips my eardrums!
It's hard to say, especially since Audyssey Dynamic Volume works inconjunction with with MultEQ which IMO is a huge advantage if you the EQ results are beneficial to the system. I asked a top product trainer at Denon the very same question and they unanimously prefered Audyssey over Dolby Volume. Since no single product that I know of incorporates both, its difficult to do a direct comparison. I will note the importance of this feature in my up and coming review of a Pioneer Elite receiver (Dolby Volume) and my followup to my AVP-A1HDCI Review (Audyssey Volume).

N

ned

Full Audioholic
It looks like you're describing Dynamic EQ on the first part of your article. Dynamic Volume which is part of Dynamic EQ is what is describe on the later part.

F

FirstReflection

AV Rant Co-Host
It looks like you're describing Dynamic EQ on the first part of your article. Dynamic Volume which is part of Dynamic EQ is what is describe on the later part.
It's actually the other way around: Dynamic EQ is part of Dynamic Volume.

ie. you can have Dynamic EQ without Dynamic Volume (as is found in Onkyo's mid and lower line receivers this year), but you cannot have Dynamic Volume without Dynamic EQ.

Gene brought up a really interesting point which is that Dynamic Volume is using Audyssey's own MultEQ and Dynamic EQ within its overall system. Dolby Volume is using a dynamic EQ algorithm as well, but it is not using anything that is the equivalent of MultEQ.

It's really interesting though that Denon preferred Audyssey Dynamic Volume over Dolby Volume while Emotiva was the exact opposite. I have to wonder if it didn't have somewhat to do with cost and processing requirements though. From what I know of it, Dolby Volume is much more processor intensive, so I'd imagine Audyssey's Dynamic Volume is much easier to implement and therefore less costly to include in any given product...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Which is cheaper to license on average? I'm inclined to think that Denon and Onkyo would go with the more cost-effective option. I'd be surprised if Audyssey costs more.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Which is cheaper to license on average? I'm inclined to think that Denon and Onkyo would go with the more cost-effective option. I'd be surprised if Audyssey costs more.
This is a guess, but I don't think they will necessarily go with the cheaper alternative. They can afford to put MultiEQ, or even the much powerful XT version, in very affordable mid-line receivers, due to the economies of scale.

This is why I failed to find 2 ch pre/pros, integrateds, or stereo receivers with anything like it. Even if they cost thousands of dollars, the economies of scale do not work in their favor.

I guess what I am saying is that if you are Denon or Onkyo, you pretty much outsell most any other brand, and might as well offer the superior features that we all clamor over. A positive feedback scenario where they can remain up high in the food chain.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
And then there is THX Loudness Plus which is a kin to Dynamic EQ. I feel that this feature is pretty useful on my Pioneer SC-05. I like what it does when listening well below reference levels

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I see to be fond of the Dynamic EQ for TV watching.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis