Just got a PS3, Have a question

D

Dave M

Enthusiast
I just got a PS3 80GB yesterday. The PS3 that I saw on Sony's web-site featured a flip up panel on the front that had ports for different types of memory cards. Mine does not have this. It also had 4 USB ports on the front, mine only has 2. Is the unit featured on the Sony site a 40GB and have different features than the 80GB?

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I think you got a 40gb by accident. If it is no bother, you can get a USB hub and power more controllers, I think up to seven.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I just got a PS3 80GB yesterday. The PS3 that I saw on Sony's web-site featured a flip up panel on the front that had ports for different types of memory cards. Mine does not have this. It also had 4 USB ports on the front, mine only has 2. Is the unit featured on the Sony site a 40GB and have different features than the 80GB?
You got the new 80gb model which is the same as the old 40gb but with an 80gb hard drive. To get the older 80gb model you have to buy the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle which has the memory card ports and more USB.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
You got the new 80gb model which is the same as the old 40gb but with an 80gb hard drive. To get the older 80gb model you have to buy the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle which has the memory card ports and more USB.
Ah. It's worth it for Metal Gear Solid 4. Man do I love that game.

L

Le Patron

Audiophyte
And on top of that the MGS PS3 is the last one that is backward capable and the last one that will play SACD's

D

Dave M

Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick replys. So is the older 80GB model better? I though the 80Gb's would all be the same.

L

Le Patron

Audiophyte
I think the older ones are better. Now the new ones do not have multi format playback. That's why the PS3 MGS4's are so expensive on Ebay right now

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Thanks for the quick replys. So is the older 80GB model better? I though the 80Gb's would all be the same.
Depends on what you need. If playing SACDs and backwards compatibility to PS2 games are important, then go for the older model. If not, then there's really no major difference.

D

Dave M

Enthusiast
I really don't know much about this sort of stuff. Can you tell me what a "SACD" is and what "backwards compatibility" is.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

I really don't know much about this sort of stuff. Can you tell me what a "SACD" is and what "backwards compatibility" is.
Backwards compatibility refers to the ability to play PS2 games on your PS3. IF you have a large amount of PS2 games that you still want to keep playing and absolutely want to do it on your new PS3, then you're going to want the older model.

An SACD is a higher fidelity CD, think HD audio, if it's not something that you already own or care about then I would not worry about it now.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
The ONLY thing I hate about the PS3 is Sony's constant change of systems, numbers, etc. with the PS3. I can't keep up with what does what. There's like 3 different 80GB models! Ridiculous.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Metal Gear Solid 4 can be bought seperately, and if you aren't into SACD's, I don't see any reason to get the old style one.

Also, 40GB is really enough in my opinion. I have a 80GB and it's not even close to being full. Metal Gear Solid 4 takes up 20GB, but that is because it is a dual layer blu-ray and an absolutely huge game. Everything else takes like a few gigs. Plus, if you ever need room you can always remove installs.... I'm usually only playing a few games at a time anyways and my music I play through the network.

The ONLY thing I hate about the PS3 is Sony's constant change of systems, numbers, etc. with the PS3. I can't keep up with what does what. There's like 3 different 80GB models! Ridiculous.
Yeah, who knew. I wonder why they changed the new ones to not play SACD? I can understand not having PS2 emulation, because that was kind of a way to get people to step over to the PS3 that had PS2 games if they were thinking about going to another platform.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Yeah, who knew. I wonder why they changed the new ones to not play SACD? I can understand not having PS2 emulation, because that was kind of a way to get people to step over to the PS3 that had PS2 games if they were thinking about going to another platform.
Probably because they realized that 99% of the population doesn't even know what an SACD is :).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
They didn't "take it out" they basically repackaged the old 40G with an 80G hard drive, which is why it is missing some of those features. The new 160G will also be the former 80G with a 160G hard drive but I believe no SACD and no backwards compatibility. With the ability to download movies now from PSN, they have added the larger drives. I have a 60G and mine is almost full. I will be upgrading the drive soon.

Last edited:
Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
I have a 60G and mine is almost full. I will be upgrading the drive soon.
I've seen PS3 hard drives on E-Bay fairly cheap and wondered just how hard are they to switch out, what's involved? Not looking for step by step instructions (just now anyway,lol) but is it do-able for the average PC geek?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I've seen PS3 hard drives on E-Bay fairly cheap and wondered just how hard are they to switch out, what's involved? Not looking for step by step instructions (just now anyway,lol) but is it do-able for the average PC geek?
Installing a hew hdd on the PS3 is plug and play. You take out the old one, insert the new one and the PS3 will do the rest of the work for you.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Installing a hew hdd on the PS3 is plug and play. You take out the old one, insert the new one and the PS3 will do the rest of the work for you.
Yes, but you have to back it up first or you are starting fresh :)

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
Yes, but you have to back it up first or you are starting fresh :)
By "backing it up" is that just for game data and such, or is that for the whole O.S.? And when backing up is that just putting it on a memory card, what is recommended? I guess I do want step by step,lol.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
There is a "one touch backup" function on there, which should save all of your settings and game save data. The OS is on the machine already and will take care of the drive when you fire up the system, then you restore the non-OS data from where you stored it. I store all of my music and video and backup some of my game data on my USB drive already.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis