G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Well my work decided to pay for an MSDN subscription for me so I get most microsoft software at a very good price (free :D). Because of this it's now time to switch to Vista. Although I will be installing Vista Business I am still kind of worried since I am currently backing up the main PC to my data server and it's taking a long time. It would suck to go through all this trouble and then have Vista give me issues that would make me go back to XP Pro.

Anyone have any fun vista upgrade stories?:p

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I recently "upgraded" to Vista 64 from XP. However, it was on a new computer, so I didn't convert XP to Vista on the same machine like you are doing.

The verdict? I like Vista. The 64-bit version has caused a few minor issues with some software not working, but it's been pretty good overall. I like the Aero interface, and there are some nice features. After all the horror stories that I read/heard, I thought it would suck - but it's been fine.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Well my work decided to pay for an MSDN subscription for me so I get most microsoft software at a very good price (free :D). Because of this it's now time to switch to Vista. Although I will be installing Vista Business I am still kind of worried since I am currently backing up the main PC to my data server and it's taking a long time. It would suck to go through all this trouble and then have Vista give me issues that would make me go back to XP Pro.

Anyone have any fun vista upgrade stories?:p
I did a full reformat, installed vista ultimate and then installed, updated drivers, it was a blast:rolleyes:. I have had no problems or issues with vista at all. I find it more stable than XP. I am using it on an older computer FYI.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Well I am wiping the drives before installing so it's pretty much like a new machine install although this system is 2 years old.

I am waiting for Intel Nehalem to come out to do a major upgrade (quad core, 8gb ram, etc.).

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Note that I'm a network and security administrator by trade and a systems builder and repairman by hobby, so I've got a lot of experience with operating systems.

Anyway, I just finally upgraded my home PC to Vista since my girlfriend just got a new Vista laptop. After about a day of getting used to things, getting everything set up, and figuring out all the options and tweaks, I really have to give Vista a big thumbs up. It's very smart, but it doesn't try to be too smart. It manages to do a lot of intense background tasks without having any impact at all on the user experience. The security model is very effective and not overly intrusive at all. I don't like having to go back to XP at work. The little detailing is excellent, and the OS has a much more cohesive, designed feel than any other Windows OS I've ever used (it's a lot like OS X in that way - not that it's in any way a copy or ripoff of OS X, merely that it has the feeling that it has a consistent design principle like OS X does).

I've got an Athlon X2 3800+ running at 2.4 GHz with 2GB of RAM and an nVidia 8800GT.

I had left my backup hard drive at work, so I partitioned my XP hard drive in half to install Vista, intending to install to the new partition then copy everything over and erase the old partition. Well I did that, then used Acronis Partition Expert in XP to delete the XP partition and expand the Vista partition, figuring that since Vista was on a regular NTFS partition this would be fine. Well... definitely not. Vista was hosed, had to reinstall then go grab the backup drive from work to restore my stuff. So don't do that ;)

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Well I am wiping the drives before installing so it's pretty much like a new machine install although this system is 2 years old.
This is a very good idea, start from scratch, install vista and then gradually re-install your programs. If something gives you a hiccup, it will be easier to troubleshoot that way.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I am mostly worried with Vista playing nice with the other systems on my home network. I have 2 mac laptops, pc laptop, and a linux box which is used for print, data, web, and ftp server. Then I also have a 2TB NAS as well which is used for stuff I just cannot afford to lose no matter what.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I've got Vista (desktop and GF's laptop), XP (work laptop), Linux (ftp, http, ssh, samba server), and OpenBSD (firewall) over here. So far, no problems. Samba, file and print sharing, ftp, ssh, all working 100% with no issues.

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I used Vista back in the RC1 stage on my old PC and I didn't really have any problems then and I don't have any problems now. When I built my new PC in April 2007 I installed Vista Home Premium first thing and it has been trouble free. I have no complaints about performance or compatibility. The only device that gave me some trouble in the beginning was my Creative X-Fi sound card but I put all the blame on Creative there.

I agree with johnnythan about the cohesiveness. It takes a little getting used to because some functions are in different places but really most of them are in better more sensible locations and once you get used to it XP will feel old and outdated.

I bought a Toshiba laptop a while back and the first thing I did with that was wipe the hard drive and install a slimmed down version of Vista that I made using V-Lite. My laptop runs beautifully.

What are your system specs gus? As long as they're sufficient you should have no issues. I will say that when I recently doubled the RAM in my desktop to 4 GB (really just 3 on 32bit) it made it significantly snappier. It boosted performance in Photoshop, Crysis, and just switching users. If you can, go for 4 GB.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Specs are:

AMD Opteron 165 watercooled and overcloked to 2.8GHz
2GB DDR400
WD Raptor - Main drive
WD 320GB drive as secondary
Nvidia 9600GT

I might pick up another pair of 2gb ram since the same ram I paid $230 for 2 years ago is now $50 after MIR. (ram is OCZ with Samsung UCCC chips doing 2-2-2-5 1T)

M

mudrummer99

Senior Audioholic
My Vista story has little to do with me. Firstly, I do have Vista on my computer. It is on a hard drive that resides in my computer but is not plugged in, that way I'm ready to go when the pull all the suck out of it. That being said, my aunt recently bought her first home computer. Yes, dark ages and then some, moving on. I loaded all the programs she wanted on them, which included Microsoft Office for Windows Vista. About 2 weeks afterwards she gives me a phone call saying that she had made a bunch of Word files that must have gotten infected by a virus or something since she couldn't open them. I said that is impossible since she doesn't have internet and hasn't put a disc in the drive since I set it up for her, yes, dark ages. I go to her house and start investigating, low and behold, this awesome rendition of an OS, and I use that term loosely, had UNINSTALLED Office. Uninstalled to the point that I couldn't even do a system recovery back to the day that I had loaded all the programs onto the computer. It had simply vanished. All of the files were still there, they just showed up as unrecognized file types and as such were un-openable. I then proceeded to load Office back onto the computer. This has now happened 2 more times. This is simply amazing that two first-party programs would work like this. I can't even fathom the conversation that ensued with programmers after this issue came to their attention. Sorry about the long story.

Mike

J

jvgillow

Full Audioholic
I have a love/hate relationship with Vista, but so far I've been tolerating it. My laptop may get switched back to XP just to extend the battery life, I'm getting about 30 minutes less with Vista.

I recently built a new desktop with quad-core, 4-way RAID0 + RAID5, and 4GB of RAM so I decided to go with Vista x64 just to get the most performance benefit. Vista kernel does some things smarter than XP especially with a decent amount of RAM installed. 8GB will happen before long since I have the other 2 slots free. Installation is noticeably better than XP. I've started using Sidebar and instant search more also.

I fired up Team Fortress 2 yesterday to play online with a friend, and after a few minutes in the game Vista decided to apply some Windows updates and reboot my computer without asking :rolleyes: so there is an example of one of the hate moments :D Also I don't like the fact that I can't use ATI and NVidia graphics cards in the same machine. I had a perfectly functional Quadro PCI card that I wanted to use, but Vista only supports one main driver for video output so ATI Catalyst wins.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Well so far the Vista install seems to hate my machine. It boots off the DVD but just hangs there after a while doing absolutely nothing. I will try burning another copy of the MSDN ISO to see if it was just a bad burn.

Djizasse

Djizasse

Senior Audioholic
I've got Vista installed in my main PC (Opteron 165 + 2Gb + 8000GTS). I have a multi-boot system with 2 XPs and 1 Vista. I can't remember the last time I logged into Vista. The only gripe I have with it is it's memory consumption, lack of decent drivers for some of my hardware and buggy software ports of programs I use. Other than that it works fine, I just don't feel the "need" for the desktop eye candy, it just does not bring me anything new that I can take advantage of.

My next PC upgrade (C2D/Quad, 4/8Gb, GPU, soundcard) will have Vista installed for sure.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Are you also going to Office 2007?

Office 2007? is supposed to be more intuitive, but it is not. If you can't find it otherwise it is probably in the main button "blue windows four color logo (usually upper left)" or you can find some itmes by right clicking you mouse in the document, in a blank area.

Also at A MINIMUM get 2 gig, 3- or 4 gig memeory is better.

Also get a 4 gig USB flash drive a set all as "readyboost" then Audioholic forums load much faster ;)

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I've got Vista installed in my main PC (Opteron 165 + 2Gb + 8000GTS). I have a multi-boot system with 2 XPs and 1 Vista. I can't remember the last time I logged into Vista. The only gripe I have with it is it's memory consumption, lack of decent drivers for some of my hardware and buggy software ports of programs I use. Other than that it works fine, I just don't feel the "need" for the desktop eye candy, it just does not bring me anything new that I can take advantage of.

My next PC upgrade (C2D/Quad, 4/8Gb, GPU, soundcard) will have Vista installed for sure.
That's how I felt. I did dual-boot for a while and just never used Vista.

Then I went whole hog and switched for good and got rid of XP. I'm much happier now.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Office 2007? is supposed to be more intuitive, but it is not. If you can't find it otherwise it is probably in the main button "blue windows four color logo (usually upper left)" or you can find some itmes by right clicking you mouse in the document, in a blank area.
I switched to the new Office back in Jan and I must say I love it. I can't go back to 2003 now. The interface is just THAT much better when compared to the last version. Considering that there are really only two major differences between 03 and 07, I like the interface upgrade a lot. I am still saving all my files in 03 format though for compatibility.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I played a bit more with it this morning and after going to some install hiccups (Had to put in an old Lite-on DVD drive as the install disc was incompatible with my NEC ND-3550A), I am quite impressed. Although I am using the Business version (from what I gather it is leaner and more responsive) over the normal retail I must the system is quite zippy. I will probably pick up 2 more gigs of ram for a total of 4gigs but so far I don't have many complaints. It recognized my laser printer on my linux box immediately and networking was up and running right away talking to my other machines.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
I recently "upgraded" to Vista 64 from XP. However, it was on a new computer, so I didn't convert XP to Vista on the same machine like you are doing.

The verdict? I like Vista. The 64-bit version has caused a few minor issues with some software not working, but it's been pretty good overall. I like the Aero interface, and there are some nice features. After all the horror stories that I read/heard, I thought it would suck - but it's been fine.
I wa using 64 bit Ultimate edition, but had to go to a 32 bit version and the soundcard drivers I was using weren't digitally signed and I didn't want to have to press F8 everytime I booted up. There had been a fix for this problem, but an update disabled the fix that had been put in place. I really miss the dreamscapes, but it's not a big deal. So far I've been very pleased with Vista over XP, and I've only had a couple of instances where some old software I wanted to use wasn't compatible, but I solved that by getting a newer version.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis