Prepping for the Olympics

And, now they lip synced an important song? The singer was not good looking enough for prime time TV?
This is the country that has a one-child policy that favors boys, remember? Extrapolate and you'll begin to see how they view the importance of little girls.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
And, now they lip synced an important song? The singer was not good looking enough for prime time TV?:mad:
That's got to be the first time in recorded history that something like that has ever happened. :)

itschris

itschris

Pavarottie lip synched his own song in the opening ceremonies in 06 I believe, but his is beyond the pale.

How does a country deem it is in the "national interest" to have a cuter child sing a song, assuming you even think the child is cuter?

These contries are so corrupt in their thoughts, morals, and actions, yet everyone blasphemes the United States. We may be not be perfect, but I certainly wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
That's got to be the first time in recorded history that something like that has ever happened. :)
At an Olympic, most likely.
Not that it hasn't happened other places, but this was their big debut?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

This is the country that has a one-child policy that favors boys, remember? Extrapolate and you'll begin to see how they view the importance of little girls.
I understand, but out of 1.4 billion people, there must have been one to look decent and sing? Or a boy?

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I've enjoyed watching the Olympics so far. My favorites being gymnastics and swimming. Age controversy aside, the Chinese female gymnasts did an excellent job yesterday (as did the Americans, but not quite as good). Watching Michael Phelps continue his winning streak has been pretty exciting, too.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My country (Canada) has won zero medals so far, yeah 0 total. Good job guys! Hopefully that will change soon:eek:.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I just learned a lesson - don't visit cnn.com until after the night's Olympic coverage. Stupid headline gave away one of the results (which I won't mention in order not to spoil anything for you all). Oh, well. Still plenty of games to watch.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
Olympic accident

The video news is in Spanish but you can see the action. Awww that hurts!!

Last edited by a moderator:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Thanks for the spoiler. :(

My own fault. I should wait until midnight to view this thread. This is two nights in a row that I've read about him winning before I got to see it.
Just think, now you don't have to interrupt in the middle for a pee break:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Just think, now you don't have to interrupt in the middle for a pee break:D
You make an excellent point! A friend actually called right before that event, and I did have to pee...and then I had to wait until afterwards because I didn't get off the phone soon enough. Oh, well. Even I can hold it for 51 seconds. Glad that those fellas are such fast swimmers. :)

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
what pisses me off the most is that NBC isn't even showing events live when they happen anymore if it's not "primetime". The women's 100m race was run at ~10:15 am this morning on the East coast. We knew that NBC probably wouldn't show the race b/c they want to wait until tonight for the flagship network (understandable), but the race was not being shown on USA, Bravo, MSNBC, CNBC, or Universal HD. Nor was the race being streamed live on NBC.com and they won't post highlights. In my opinion that's a load of BS. This race happened over 8 hours ago now and results are posted everywhere- I understand not wanting to "spoil" it for some people, but I don't understand why it couldn't have been shown live on one of the 8 different methods of broadcasting they're using.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys, a different topic. Does anyone know how many "Americans" are competing for other countries? Didn't the guy who recently lost to Phelps by .01 second live in CA? I know there's supposed to be a bunch of them. Perhaps he can speak his native language.

However, IMO, anyone who competes for another country should at least be able to speak that language, don't you guys agree? I wonder how many players on the Greek baseball roster could actually speek Greek? Then again, I guess there are probably Americans competing for Australia, or England, or South Africa's behalf or something, and well, English is spoken there.

Let's say you get a hero's welcome "back home". You couldn't even understand what they are saying! lol

My good friend who is a scratch golfer is humorously thinking of trying out for golf in the upcoming London games. For Latvia, lol. No, he can't speak a lick. :rolleyes: Funny though, of course I'd root for him.

I understand some competitors would never make it on the American team, and hence their decision. Other countries might really want some more qualified participants. I don't care all THAT much, but I do think its silly. Just curious for your thoughts.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hey guys, a different topic. Does anyone know how many "Americans" are competing for other countries? Didn't the guy who recently lost to Phelps by .01 second live in CA? I know there's supposed to be a bunch of them. Perhaps he can speak his native language.

However, IMO, anyone who competes for another country should at least be able to speak that language, don't you guys agree? I wonder how many players on the Greek baseball roster could actually speek Greek? Then again, I guess there are probably Americans competing for Australia, or England, or South Africa's behalf or something, and well, English is spoken there.

Let's say you get a hero's welcome "back home". You couldn't even understand what they are saying! lol

My good friend who is a scratch golfer is humorously thinking of trying out for golf in the upcoming London games. For Latvia, lol. No, he can't speak a lick. :rolleyes: Funny though, of course I'd root for him.

I understand some competitors would never make it on the American team, and hence their decision. Other countries might really want some more qualified participants. I don't care all THAT much, but I do think its silly. Just curious for your thoughts.

The US has been doing this for years for certain sports- our entire ping pong team is made up of native Chinese, our 1500m track team is all from Africa as is part of our 10,000m and Steeplechase teams. I think there's hypocrisy on all sides of the issue, but I really don't think its a big deal. The olympics should be about the best athletes competing, and since each country can only take 2 or 3 athletes in each competition some of the best are bound to be left out. If Kenya has the 4 best 1500m runners in the world and 1 cannot compete for that country, I have no problem if they want to go compete for Ethiopia or England.

Olympians are not amateurs anymore in the true sense of the word. The games can mean millions of dollars in endorsements for these folks as well as cash bonuses for medals (yes- the US does this too). Considering the costs and little benefits for most of the athletes in non-Olympic years, I really cannot blame them for doing everything they can to make sure they can get into the olympics- even if that means "switching" countries.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
The US has been doing this for years for certain sports- our entire ping pong team is made up of native Chinese, our 1500m track team is all from Africa as is part of our 10,000m and Steeplechase teams. I think there's hypocrisy on all sides of the issue, but I really don't think its a big deal. The olympics should be about the best athletes competing, and since each country can only take 2 or 3 athletes in each competition some of the best are bound to be left out. If Kenya has the 4 best 1500m runners in the world and 1 cannot compete for that country, I have no problem if they want to go compete for Ethiopia or England.
Interesting, and points well taken. However, I bet these Chinese and Kenyans can speak English. I'm not saying, or am even sure, that there are a significant number of athletes who cannot speak their "native" tongue. Maybe not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, as you imply.

I wonder what % of blood you have to be of a certain country to be able to compete for it. For instance, my "Latvian" friend is half Latvian. He says his baby daughter would be eligible to compete for Latvia as well, being 1/4. After being asked just how much blood of a certain country one must have, he says he didn't know. Does anyone here know?

I think of the Jamaican bobsled team! LOL. Ok, just looked that up, it appears two Americans were mainly responsible in creating the team according to Wiki. At least half were "native" Jamaican. Still some pride in that!

Olympians are not amateurs anymore in the true sense of the word. The games can mean millions of dollars in endorsements for these folks as well as cash bonuses for medals (yes- the US does this too). Considering the costs and little benefits for most of the athletes in non-Olympic years, I really cannot blame them for doing everything they can to make sure they can get into the olympics- even if that means "switching" countries.
No doubt. I think if it was me, I'd do it out of pure pride or bragging rights (if I wasn't too intimidated to begin with). Just a great story to tell really. Money? Yea, sure, why not! I doubt shot putters, kayakers, or curlers make all THAT much in endorsements. Who knows...

Thanks for your thoughts aberkowitz.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis