Onkyo Announces TX-SR806 and TX-SR706 AV Receivers

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
Onkyo USA has introduced two mid-price home theater receivers and two packaged home theater systems, as part of its mid-year new product announcements. Both receivers are THX certified and include the new THX Loudness Plus audio processing technology for improved low-volume-level listening. All of the new models include expanded HDMI connectivity, Faroudja DCDi video processing capabilities, Audyssey room acoustics correction and Dynamic EQ, and Onkyo's Music Optimizer for improved sound from heavily compressed digital sources.

Discuss "Onkyo Announces TX-SR806 and TX-SR706 AV Receivers" here. Read the article.

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
The 806 and 706 are cleaning house on the goodies offered. Very impressive.

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
I like the five HDMI inputs and the "THX Plus" but I do not like the Cirrus Logic DAC's. From Burr-Brown 1796 to Cirrus Logic ?

(edit: It appears the announcement states Cirrus logic DAC's but on the Onkyo website they claim Burr-Brown DAC'S). Which is more reliable ? Considering that the website itself claims 3 HDMI inputs and not five as per the announcement one can gather that neither source has their facts in order.

Weight ? Going from 50.lbs in the 805 to 37.5 lbs in the 806 ? That seems like a major step backwards to me. Unless those facts are wrong too. I must be honest, I'm not sure I like what I see here.

Regards,

Biggiesized

Biggiesized

Senior Audioholic
Onkyo knows we're on to them.

They're not going to make the 806 a humongous value like they did last year. I heard they didn't like the margins they were making on the products.

N

ned

Full Audioholic
Disappointed, still no MultEQ XT version of the Audyssey and no PRO capability.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Weight ? Going from 50.lbs in the 805 to 37.5 lbs in the 806 ? That seems like a major step backwards to me. Unless those facts are wrong too. I must be honest, I'm not sure I like what I see here.
They're not going to make the 806 a humongous value like they did last year. I heard they didn't like the margins they were making on the products.
I read someone say that the 806 will no longer be Ultra 2 certified. Hm, brief search brought up this intersting post that says otherwise...

Dropped about 14 pounds, went from 9.5 to 7.8 amps in power consumption but is still ultra 2 (plus) certified. Not sure what the plus means for power output. This must have a more efficient amplifier section to keep the Ultra-2 certification, in other words it isn't a space heater any more! It lost over an inch of depth, probably the 14 pounds of heat sink and power supply that are no longer there. Distortion went up a bit 0.05% (Rated power) for the 805 versus 0.08% (Rated power) for the 806, this is probably directly related to the efficiency gains, but nothing major, not a bad trade off given the significantly smaller power supply, peak power dropped slightly as well, but again, nothing major:

145 W + 145 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC) for the 806

versus

150 W (8 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.7%, 2 channels driven, FTC) for the 805

It seems like Onkyo made some good trade offs, efficiency and less heat for slightly less power and slightly more distortion, but nothing anyone will be able to hear. Given the new features, more inputs and hopefully better HDMI processing it seems like a step forward overall.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=14344505

V

Vaughan Odendaa

Senior Audioholic
jostenmeat said:
Dropped about 14 pounds, went from 9.5 to 7.8 amps in power consumption but is still ultra 2 (plus) certified. Not sure what the plus means for power output. This must have a more efficient amplifier section to keep the Ultra-2 certification, in other words it isn't a space heater any more!
Not sure myself on the specifics of "plus" certification. The amp section may very well be more efficient but this has yet to be confirmed with valid test measurements. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think that an increase in THD, although likely not to be perceived, is still not a positive especially for a new and improved model. As far as more inputs are concerned, I know that it is claimed that there are now five HDMI inputs but which source are we to believe ? The website claims 3 HDMI inputs the last time I checked.

Also, Cirrus Logic as opposed to Burr-Brown ? That is ridiculous, unless, of course, those facts are wrong.

Regards,

S

swestbom

Audioholic Intern
Not sure myself on the specifics of "plus" certification. The amp section may very well be more efficient but this has yet to be confirmed with valid test measurements. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I think that an increase in THD, although likely not to be perceived, is still not a positive especially for a new and improved model. As far as more inputs are concerned, I know that it is claimed that there are now five HDMI inputs but which source are we to believe ? The website claims 3 HDMI inputs the last time I checked.

Also, Cirrus Logic as opposed to Burr-Brown ? That is ridiculous, unless, of course, those facts are wrong.

Regards,
Distortion numbers on amps haven't really gone anywhere for 30 years. Both of those numbers are in the who cares domain. What you might hear is the distortion you get when you run out of headroom on loud passages, but frankly in a modestly sized room my ears will hurt with moderately efficient speakers long before I run out of headroom. If the thing draws less power for a given output level that is a great plus, especially at this time of year when we get brownouts and I really don't want the heat.

If the Cirrus Logic DACs are comparable to the Burr-Brown 1796's from TI (their lines overlap a lot in quality) then that is another who cares. But we won't know that until we see the model number of the DACs. Those DACs were way better than average for a $600 street price receiver as was the rest of the 805 except the video scaler chip and de-interlacer (I don't care about that, it had pass-through capabilities).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis