Denon Amp verses Bryston

A

agular

Junior Audioholic
Question about a 60 Watt per channel Bryston 2B-LP Amplifier? I have a Denon AVR-5805 receiver that its rated output is 170 Watts per channel. I would like to use a Bryston amplifier to run my mains using the pre-outs on my Denon. Would I possibly here an improvement in sound quality over the Denon amps?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Bryston better to an Android!

Question about a 60 Watt per channel Bryston 2B-LP Amplifier? I have a Denon AVR-5805 receiver that its rated output is 170 Watts per channel. I would like to use a Bryston amplifier to run my mains using the pre-outs on my Denon. Would I possibly here an improvement in sound quality over the Denon amps?
The Bryston has much better specs:

Harmonic distortion less than 0.01% from 20 Hz to 20kHz @ 60 watts
IM distortion less than 0.01% from 10 milliwatts to 60watts
Noise- 100dB below full output
Crosstalk- below noize 20Hz to 20KHz at 50 watts
Slewing rate- Greater than 60 volts per mircosecond
Power bandwidth - .5 Hz to over 100kHz
Damping factor - over 500 at 20 Hz. ref. 8 ohms
Input sensitivity and impendace- 0.75 volts in for full output 50K

=================
Denon AVR-5805

Harmonic distortion 0.05%
Input sensitivity 2.5 mV
Noise- 74dB
Distortion factor 0.03% (1 kHz, 3v0

So the answer, both have excellent specs and why the Bryston is better, But unless you are Dr. Spock you will not be able to tell any difference. Oh yes, you could have a self fulfilling prophesy and imagine that you could hear a difference with the Bryston but being a mere human you would be able to actually tell a difference.

One possible issue even though the Bryston has very clean power, 60 RMS might no be enough to full drive your speakers unless they have a very high sensitivity.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
The upgrade would be in name only:D

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Bryston has a 20+ year warranty which is something to consider.

F

FatStrat85

Junior Audioholic
So the answer, both have excellent specs and why the Bryston is better, But unless you are Dr. Spock you will not be able to tell any difference.
Dr. Spock? The pediatrician?

audioman00

Audioholic
Dude!, If you already have a 5805 for heck sake, you need to enjoy it and forget about the external amps... that thing uses a torroid I believe, I mean, it's the behemoth of all denon's and If I paid that much for an AVR, I would always assume it would smoke most amps and almost every AVR. Just remember what I'm sure you paid for that thing and relax to some good tunes:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
From Audioholics Lab:

The Denon 5805:

Frequency Response: 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 0.0dB

THD = 0.001% @ 1 watt; THD = 0.002% @ 175 watts 8 ohms; THD = 0.009% @ 303 watts 4 ohms.

Power: 195 watts (8 ohms) & 340 watts (4 ohms) - 2 ch driven; 170 watts @ 8 ohms x 4 ch driven @ 0.1% THD.

From Home Theater Mag: 204wpc x 5Ch/216wpc x 2Ch @ 8 ohms & 1% THD; Crosstalk - 86 dB.

I don't see how this Bryston amp (60 wpc) can improve on this.

Last edited:
AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
Midcow – check your reference. It is definitely Mr. Spock. I thought you were old enough to know better.:p

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
"Bryston Amp: Crosstalk- below noise 20Hz to 20KHz at 60 watts"

Don't you just love it when they give us such detailed specs?

Dear Bryston,

What the heck is "below noise" on your crosstalk? According to The Audio Critic, a crosstalk of -30 dB 20Hz-20kHz is acceptable. According to Gene of Audioholics, a crosstalk of -60dB @ 1 kHz is acceptable. So what is your definition of "below noise"? Could you be a little bit more specific?:D

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The way I read it, say on the 2b for instance, noise is -100db. So if crosstalk is below noise, it will be below -100db. At that point it will be inaudible, whether it's -101 db or -120db. Suffice it to say that if it's below the noise level at -100db, the actual measurement is irrelevant especially if -30 is acceptable.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The way I read it, say on the 2b for instance, noise is -100db. So if crosstalk is below noise, it will be below -100db. At that point it will be inaudible, whether it's -101 db or -120db. Suffice it to say that if it's below the noise level at -100db, the actual measurement is irrelevant especially if -30 is acceptable.
No. I think the "noise @ -100dB" is the SNR, which is also vague. I don't think it's the same SNR that Audioholics give.

Take a look at the very expensive 6B sst 9B sst:

http://www.bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/pdfs/manuals/6Bsst_MANUAL.pdf

http://www.bryston.ca/BrystonSite05/07manuals/9Bsst_MANUAL_20070108.pdf

As you can see, the crosstalk is -60dB @ 20 kHz. That's not exactly impressive compared to the Yamaha Z11 receiver that has a crosstalk of -80dB at 20 kHz.

Of course, it's really all academic here, but we're just talking tech stuff for fun.:D

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Bryston is in the business of perfecting sound not stuffing as many things as they can in the cheapest way possible, this is not saying Denon is junk....far from it but I would think Bryston is a better thought out product with better parts and more thought into how they perform. Comparing Denon to Bryston is like comparing a Honda Accord to a Porsche.....they both do the same exact thing but one is approached very differently from concept to production than the other.
I know the drill, here come the rants.........I will reply to all insults and character slams when I am done mowing the lawn ok guys?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bryston is in the business of perfecting sound not stuffing as many things as they can in the cheapest way possible, this is not saying Denon is junk....far from it but I would think Bryston is a better thought out product with better parts and more thought into how they perform. Comparing Denon to Bryston is like comparing a Honda Accord to a Porsche.....they both do the same exact thing but one is approached very differently from concept to production than the other.
I know the drill, here come the rants.........I will reply to all insults and character slams when I am done mowing the lawn ok guys?
Now that Bryston amp is $1,700 and the Denon is $6,000.

So I don't think Honda-Denon vs. Porche-Bryston is a fair statement.

And I certainly would not say the $7,500 Denon AVP and $7,500 Denon POA are like Honda and the Brystons are like Porche either.

First, I like the 20 yr warranty on the analog Brystons.

But to me, if you are going to be high-end, you need to back it up with specs that are also high-end -- like the $25K Mark Levinson and $20K Krell.

That Bryston 9B sst is like $5,000? And it has crosstalk of -60dB @ 20 kHz?

That is just not high-end specs.

I know. I know. Specs again. We all have our faults.:D

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
If you look at Bryston's crosstalk graph, you will see that it is between -110db and -120db at 20Hz. The crosstalk only rises to -80db at around 3-4kHz and only just touches -60db right at 20K. How does a graph of Denon's crosstalk compare?

By and large, you will see that in the vast majority of the audible spectrum, the crosstalk ranges from -110 to -80. Really, only dogs will be able to hear the frequency where the crosstalk rises to -60 (which you have already noted as being acceptable by the stringent AH standards).

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Being a owner of Bryston for over 20 years now .
I say go to a 3B or 4B and that will possibly be the last Amp you will have have to buy for your mains . They have lots of power , headroom and great sounding amp . There track record and warrenty speaks for itsself . The 3b will easly out power your Denon .

T

TruthRight

Audiophyte
I am surprised no one said...

...in an, Any Amplifier vs Any Amplifier comparison, let us not use names, they get in the way...that no one suggested the most obvious answer; as there is only one reason your asking, "you" want to know. What the others are saying are "opinions" regarding something, they themselves have never heard, it's almost laughable...may I, respectfully, suggest, recommend...listen to it. Whichever product sounds better to you, use it. Pretty simple, na?

Last edited:
A

agular

Junior Audioholic
I intend too compare with a listening test. I just was somewhat concerned about the disparity between the power ratings. The Bryston with 60 watts and the Denon having almost three times as much power.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
"Bryston Amp: Crosstalk- below noise 20Hz to 20KHz at 60 watts"

Don't you just love it when they give us such detailed specs?

Dear Bryston,

What the heck is "below noise" on your crosstalk? According to The Audio Critic, a crosstalk of -30 dB 20Hz-20kHz is acceptable. According to Gene of Audioholics, a crosstalk of -60dB @ 1 kHz is acceptable. So what is your definition of "below noise"? Could you be a little bit more specific?:D
Probably below the numbers where their noise rating is at:D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis