Pioneer Builds Blu-ray Disc at 400 GB

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
A math problem for 21st Century grade school student might look like this: At 25 GB per layer, how many layers would it take to provide a Blu-ray disc with a 400 GB capacity? The answer is 16 layers and it’s no longer a hypothetical scenario, that’s exactly what Pioneer has just pulled off.

Discuss "Pioneer Builds Blu-ray Disc at 400 GB" here. Read the article.

"Imagine having the Dirty Harry Blu-ray Box Set on one disc with special features or viewing the entire director’s cut Lord of the Rings Trilogy, without having to get up once to switch discs."
Now imagine getting a single scratch on that disc... lol. Oops, wiped out The Two Towers. Oh well...

The future (I hope I hope I hope) is solid state.

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Now imagine getting a single scratch on that disc... lol. Oops, wiped out The Two Towers. Oh well...

Ditto, I was thinking the very same thing, making these types of discs (if they can be done in mass) virtually "un-rentable". Following the money...eghhh not gonna happen.

H

hodedofome

Audioholic Intern
It is further proof though that Pioneer does exactly what their name suggests, do stuff that nobody else can do thus far. Wish they were a bigger market player, just think if they got to call the shots like Sony, we might have had a blu-ray format completed a few years ago...

G

Grimfate126

Junior Audioholic

assuming they dont remove the protective layer, a blu-ray disk is hard as hell to severely damage. even scissors dont scratch it enough :O

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman

It might even be worth buying the in-store, extended warranty for the disc.

Wow... did I write that out loud?;)

MapleSyrup

MapleSyrup

Audioholic
I'd like it if these "monster" discs (I used that word intentionally. Bring it on Monster Cables) included CD or even high resolution tracks of the music played dring the movie on the disc. Me likes the idea of not having to run out and by the music recordings separately.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis