Did You..........????

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hello forum members I have a few questions for all of you. Did any of you ever play an instrument when you were in school? If so, which instrument was it and did you ever march in your local high school band?

Any of you major in music and are currently teaching now?? Please feel free to elaborate.

Cheers,

Phil
I've played guitar and violin mostly. To a much lesser extent did I play a bit of piano. Even less than the piano did I sing. My high school had a band, but no orchestra, unfortunately. By far classical, tried my hand at jazz (classes, and jazz piano lessons). Also some south Indian vocal for fun (unbelievably beautiful even from a good amateur). I more recently tried to fulfill a dream in singing a 5 part Josquin sequence, where I roped in 2 choir directors, one of their husbands, my best friend, and me. I swear... singers :confused:... anyways that fell through, and I had my entire part memorized by the first rehearsal. I even volunteered to always drive to the choir directors' place in hopes to keep this going. Grr.

I've played in some southern california youth orchestra or something. (I particularly remember we played Beethoven's 7th, Mussorsky's Night on Bald Mountain, but don't remember much outside of that). College orchestra (but I can't remember how many years I was in it, perhaps three). Bachelors, Masters, and a quasi-degree in Europe. Played in Mexico, Germany, France, and Spain. Of the international, smallest audience was Germany, largest was in France where I was pooping my pants. Performed in 50th anniversary of UN, CT chapter. Entered a couple of competitions. Judged a couple of competitions, one at U of A, Tucson. Performed and explained new works for the composition department of UCLA. Performed on radio, I think KPFK? Well, I think the station is off Cahuenga in LA, don't remember too well. Enough of the braggin. Haven't taught in forever. Haven't played in forever. I run my small business. Expenditures on audio were partly feuled by trying to re-ignite previous musical passions in life. For better or worse, the 2-ch room sucks, and the HT is over the top. Now a veritable AV addict. God have mercy on me.

I believe the resident music teacher here is pzaur. Pat is primarily a saxophonist I believe.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I did date a woman who dotted the Ohio State "I" when she marched, not much point in me posting that but its kinda cool.
Chad, nothing wrong with cool. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I've played guitar and violin mostly. To a much lesser extent did I play a bit of piano. Even less than the piano did I sing. My high school had a band, but no orchestra, unfortunately. By far classical, tried my hand at jazz (classes, and jazz piano lessons). Also some south Indian vocal for fun (unbelievably beautiful even from a good amateur). I more recently tried to fulfill a dream in singing a 5 part Josquin sequence, where I roped in 2 choir directors, one of their husbands, my best friend, and me. I swear... singers :confused:... anyways that fell through, and I had my entire part memorized by the first rehearsal. I even volunteered to always drive to the choir directors' place in hopes to keep this going. Grr.

I've played in some southern california youth orchestra or something. (I particularly remember we played Beethoven's 7th, Mussorsky's Night on Bald Mountain, but don't remember much outside of that). College orchestra (but I can't remember how many years I was in it, perhaps three). Bachelors, Masters, and a quasi-degree in Europe. Played in Mexico, Germany, France, and Spain. Of the international, smallest audience was Germany, largest was in France where I was pooping my pants. Performed in 50th anniversary of UN, CT chapter. Entered a couple of competitions. Judged a couple of competitions, one at U of A, Tucson. Performed and explained new works for the composition department of UCLA. Performed on radio, I think KPFK? Well, I think the station is off Cahuenga in LA, don't remember too well. Enough of the braggin. Haven't taught in forever. Haven't played in forever. I run my small business. Expenditures on audio were partly feuled by trying to re-ignite previous musical passions in life. For better or worse, the 2-ch room sucks, and the HT is over the top. Now a veritable AV addict. God have mercy on me.

I believe the resident music teacher here is pzaur. Pat is primarily a saxophonist I believe.
Wow Jost, you have left me speechless. Sounds like you have had a very interesting life thus far-not to mention quite successful. :):) Thanks so very much for sharing. I do agree, however, that hopefully God has mercy on us all.

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I sort of play mandolin but I haven't for quite a while and I've never had any lessons so I'm not too great. Maybe if I actually got some lessons I could get back into it.

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
I sort of play mandolin but I haven't for quite a while and I've never had any lessons so I'm not too great. Maybe if I actually got some lessons I could get back into it.
Lessons could be a really great idea. Costs can add up, and you never know how good of an instructor any one person is. Give it a test time, perhaps every couple of weeks for a few months...? However, Id get a head-start yourself for a bit before spending the money.

I remember a college friend picking up a Gibson mandolin, it was pretty sweet... and you know there is some classical stuff for mandolin, heh, I think of Vivaldi, not that you would be interested.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks Dave for posting. Like you, I really miss those times too. Have to admit, it was a lot of fun especially when your band took 1st place. Speaking of DCI, the Blue Devils are just unbelievable if you ask me. Who did you follow Dave?

Cheers,

Phil
It was fun a fun time. My marching band activities mostly revolved around girls. At one time, we traveled with about 300 members so there were lots of flag girls. The rest of my band activities usually revolved around drinking. The polka band was the best. The guy that ran it paid us in liquor and beer, which was great for a bunch of high school kids. I never followed DCI at all, never concerned myself with where the buses were heading or what city we were in. I was just looking for a good time wherever we were.

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi,
I played trombone in high school and was in the marching band. I went on to march at the University of Michigan for two years. I 'retired' from playing after the 1991 rose bowl. I have not played since. I can't even read music anymore. Sometimes I do miss it. My wife still plays, in fact she is in a community band and a woodwind quintet. I will ask her to post to your thread later.

Pheaton

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I know here locally that lessons are not only available, but quite affordable as well. Perhaps, it will be available where you are. Look into it and if it is affordable why not-I always say. Lessons have helped the individual playing of our local hs band in which I am alumni. Thanks for posting and sharing.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Lessons could be a really great idea. Costs can add up, and you never know how good of an instructor any one person is. Give it a test time, perhaps every couple of weeks for a few months...? However, Id get a head-start yourself for a bit before spending the money.

I remember a college friend picking up a Gibson mandolin, it was pretty sweet... and you know there is some classical stuff for mandolin, heh, I think of Vivaldi, not that you would be interested.
Jost, very good advice. The old saying that "Practice Makes Perfect" may not be 100 % true, but it sure can make a difference. Experience is the best teacher and with practice comes improvement. Of course, the good Lord has blessed us all with various different talents. As such, playing an instrument may NOT be one of them. For others, playing an instrument opens many doors to teaching and/or performing.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
It was fun a fun time. My marching band activities mostly revolved around girls. At one time, we traveled with about 300 members so there were lots of flag girls. The rest of my band activities usually revolved around drinking. The polka band was the best. The guy that ran it paid us in liquor and beer, which was great for a bunch of high school kids. I never followed DCI at all, never concerned myself with where the buses were heading or what city we were in. I was just looking for a good time wherever we were.
Liquor in High School-what kind of band was this Dave........LOL!!!!! :p:p Our local school board would have a massive heart-attack if our band ever participated in any such event. However, that never stopped us from having a good time. :D:D I salute you for wanting to have fun. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,
I played trombone in high school and was in the marching band. I went on to march at the University of Michigan for two years. I 'retired' from playing after the 1991 rose bowl. I have not played since. I can't even read music anymore. Sometimes I do miss it. My wife still plays, in fact she is in a community band and a woodwind quintet. I will ask her to post to your thread later.

Pheaton
Very interesting Pheaton. Thanks for sharing. I never marched in college nor did I ever do DCI. But, I always enjoy watching them. You ever attend a Bands of America regional? At Grand Nationals, Indiana, Texas, and Kentucky are very well represented. Most of the bands on that level are exceptional in their own right. As far as DCI goes, the Blue Devils are AWESOME!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Phil

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I know here locally that lessons are not only available, but quite affordable as well. Perhaps, it will be available where you are. Look into it and if it is affordable why not-I always say. Lessons have helped the individual playing of our local hs band in which I am alumni. Thanks for posting and sharing.
There is a vibrant bluegrass community here and lots of great mandolin players/teachers. My dad knows a lot of them and I could probably get lessons for next to nothing. I just haven't taken the initiative and I have been super busy.

Pheaton

Pheaton

Audioholic
Hi,
I have been to a few DCI events. They hold a regional competition at Eastern Michigan University, or at least they did in the past. I had 2 students try out for drum line in one of the corp, but they could not afford it.

I have always been a phantom regiment fan myself.

Pheaton

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hi,
I played trombone in high school and was in the marching band. I went on to march at the University of Michigan for two years...
My ex-girlfriend, who was the concert mistress of my college orchestra, went to get her Masters at U of M. Im not sure if she continued past that educational point though. Excellent school. I knew a good clarinetist who did his bachelor's there, and he was quite the fine musician, but I forgot his name. (Masters at same school with me).

Jost, very good advice. The old saying that "Practice Makes Perfect" may not be 100 % true, but it sure can make a difference. Experience is the best teacher and with practice comes improvement. Of course, the good Lord has blessed us all with various different talents. As such, playing an instrument may NOT be one of them. For others, playing an instrument opens many doors to teaching and/or performing.

Cheers,

Phil
Thanks Phil. You know, I think the majority opinion has finally had some effect on my minority opinion, which is that the talent thing is baloney, more or less. Love is, more or less, all you need to become a fine musician, IMO.

Sure, to become among the very best, you need the whole package, work ethic, intelligence, physical prowess, etc. But, I believe many people can become quite the capable amateur but are simply too afraid. Is music hard and require serious work? Of course. Is it possible? Absolutely.

If I wanted to become a decent writer, mechanic, cook, speaker builder, etc, I bet I could become at least a decent amateur assuming I put in the time. Lots of failures, frustration, starting over, etc. I won't become the very best at any of them perhaps, but Im not going to nip myself in the buds by saying, "oh, I don't have the talent for that, so I'm not going to try".

I don't know, so many times previously in life Im asked, "Hey, what do you do? Oh, Im a musici..." Yes, I've actually been cut off before with, "Oh, I wish I had that talent!". My usual reply was, "bullshit".

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
There is a vibrant bluegrass community here and lots of great mandolin players/teachers. My dad knows a lot of them and I could probably get lessons for next to nothing. I just haven't taken the initiative and I have been super busy.
Glad to hear that you can get some lessons that are quite affordable. Sometimes, we just have to make time for the things when time is short. The sad part is, that it is getting more and more difficult to do so. Hopefully, you will find the time. Best of luck to you. Thanks once again for sharing.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi,
I have been to a few DCI events. They hold a regional competition at Eastern Michigan University, or at least they did in the past. I had 2 students try out for drum line in one of the corp, but they could not afford it.

I have always been a phantom regiment fan myself.

Pheaton
Yeah, DCI is really something to see. Phantom is is very good too. Really like their drum-line. Looks like they kinda set the bar if you know what I mean. It can get rather expensive marching in a DCI corps. Appreciate you sharing with us.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My ex-girlfriend, who was the concert mistress of my college orchestra, went to get her Masters at U of M. Im not sure if she continued past that educational point though. Excellent school. I knew a good clarinetist who did his bachelor's there, and he was quite the fine musician, but I forgot his name. (Masters at same school with me).

Thanks Phil. You know, I think the majority opinion has finally had some effect on my minority opinion, which is that the talent thing is baloney, more or less. Love is, more or less, all you need to become a fine musician, IMO.

Sure, to become among the very best, you need the whole package, work ethic, intelligence, physical prowess, etc. But, I believe many people can become quite the capable amateur but are simply too afraid. Is music hard and require serious work? Of course. Is it possible? Absolutely.

If I wanted to become a decent writer, mechanic, cook, speaker builder, etc, I bet I could become at least a decent amateur assuming I put in the time. Lots of failures, frustration, starting over, etc. I won't become the very best at any of them perhaps, but Im not going to nip myself in the buds by saying, "oh, I don't have the talent for that, so I'm not going to try".

I don't know, so many times previously in life Im asked, "Hey, what do you do? Oh, Im a musici..." Yes, I've actually been cut off before with, "Oh, I wish I had that talent!". My usual reply was, "bullshit".
There is no doubt that talent can be developed with lots of hard work and dedication. But with that said, there is no doubt that some people seem to have a knack for something. For example, I can NOT for the life of me stand the sight of blood and as such could not work in the medical field. I guess that I could work in medical records or something. But, to be around blood/human waste is more or less impossible for me. Another example would be anything involving great heights. I won't even ride roller-coasters because of them being so high up. Yet, other people have no problem working at such great heights. Still yet, some have no problem being around blood/human waste. We all have certain talents that the good Lord has given us. Some discover it and some don't. But, being good at anything requires hard work sooner or later.

Cheers,

Phil

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
LOL........I hear ya. Guess, Neil Pert must have a slew of women then eh? Just hope he gives lessons...........LOL!!!!! :p:p BTW, did you ever march any?

Cheers,

Phil
Well, yes when I was playing sax we did march for school functions. It was okay, and as a life-long fan of music in general, I did enjoy playing the sax as much as I do the drums now. Neil Pert - I could only HOPE to be half as good as him someday. That man is a living god. :D

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well, yes when I was playing sax we did march for school functions. It was okay, and as a life-long fan of music in general, I did enjoy playing the sax as much as I do the drums now. Neil Pert - I could only HOPE to be half as good as him someday. That man is a living god. :D
Yeah, Neil is amazing. Thanks for sharing Halon. BTW, I have been known to do a little drumming myself..........now for singing that is a different story altogether. :p:p

Cheers,

Phil

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Phil I have been on that site a couple times but it never loads for me, it starts and just lags and lags till I give up but I am still curious to see that march, it looked like a level 5 from what I could gather, cheers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis