New Receiver for PS3 and Blu-Ray

K

kadrik0

Audiophyte
Hi,

I am looking at buying a new audio receiver. I have an older Yamaha receiver that just does Dolby Digital 5.1 and Pro Logic. I bought a ps3 and just now have a hd tv. I noticed that some of the movies like Independence Day only has dts, so I can only play stereo through my speakers. Blu-Ray can do so much more and any more most of the blu-ray's have Dobly Digital HD, uncompressed audio, DTS HD, etc. I have some very high end Paradign speakers. I am not worried about them. I am just wanting to get a new receiver. I am trying to find one that supports all of the dolby digital, dts, and the hd sound formats. I would also like to get something that has 7.1 support. I have the typical center, left, right, left rear, right rear, and sub speakers. I also have a budget of only like $200 to $300. I would prefer to buy a brand like Sony, Yamaha, or similar if possible.

Best Buy has a decent one for $290, but I just wanted to ask if you guys know of any great and affordable stereo receivers. Not to mention that these sites like Best Buy and Circuit City do not list every surround sound format it can play. Components that will be connected: xbox 360 via toslink fiber and component cables. ps3 via toslink and hdmi. (toslink optional). comcast dvr via coaxial dolby digital and hdmi. (have to use coaxial since toslink is disabled on dvr). The video does not have to go through the receiver. Thanks for your help.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I think you may have a hard time buying a new 7.1 Reciever that can process audio over HDMI for $200-$300. Out of curiousity what is the reciever best buy has for $290?

The best value reciever I can think of with the options you want is the Yamaha 663. I think about the cheapest it can be had for new is around $400. Although you may be able to find a used or refurb. model for 2-300. With a 663 you'll have all you're looking for. 7.1 capability, all audio codec's processed over HDMI. Assignable digital inputs, etc. It even has pre-outs should you decide to get a power amp later on.

Other options are: Onkyo TX-SR605 and Denon AVR-788. I think all of these have 2 HDMI inputs (which seems to be enough for your use, just PS3 and Cable box).

BTW, you probably wont need coax & HDMI hooked up for your cable box or optical on your PS3. You can definately send everything down HDMI to the reciever for processing & delivery to the TV.

P

Panjsheri

Audioholic
Hmm I don't even think you can find one used at that price unfortunately:(

K

kadrik0

Audiophyte
I think you may have a hard time buying a new 7.1 Reciever that can process audio over HDMI for $200-$300. Out of curiousity what is the reciever best buy has for $290?

The best value reciever I can think of with the options you want is the Yamaha 663. I think about the cheapest it can be had for new is around $400. Although you may be able to find a used or refurb. model for 2-300. With a 663 you'll have all you're looking for. 7.1 capability, all audio codec's processed over HDMI. Assignable digital inputs, etc. It even has pre-outs should you decide to get a power amp later on.

Other options are: Onkyo TX-SR605 and Denon AVR-788. I think all of these have 2 HDMI inputs (which seems to be enough for your use, just PS3 and Cable box).

BTW, you probably wont need coax & HDMI hooked up for your cable box or optical on your PS3. You can definately send everything down HDMI to the reciever for processing & delivery to the TV.
I was noticing it was hard to find. I wondered about Onkyo or skipping the 7.1, but if I am going to spend $300, why not spend a few bucks more and be happy and mostly future proof. I found the receiver on Best Buy. I would post the link but I don't have enough posts. It is the Sony STR-DG720 . I bet if I watch the sales or use that gold box trick on Amazon I could get it closer to $250. Only problem is that it does not support 6.1, but I am not sure if that is a problem since it is a 7.1 receiver and should be backwards compatible with 5.1. I've kind of became out of date with the technology after DTS 5.1 and the EX series of 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS. I just wanted to make sure I am not buying something that is truely limited or can't even play the hd formats. Thanks.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I was noticing it was hard to find. I wondered about Onkyo or skipping the 7.1, but if I am going to spend $300, why not spend a few bucks more and be happy and mostly future proof. I found the receiver on Best Buy. I would post the link but I don't have enough posts. It is the Sony STR-DG720 . I bet if I watch the sales or use that gold box trick on Amazon I could get it closer to $250. Only problem is that it does not support 6.1, but I am not sure if that is a problem since it is a 7.1 receiver and should be backwards compatible with 5.1. I've kind of became out of date with the technology after DTS 5.1 and the EX series of 5.1 DD and 5.1 DTS. I just wanted to make sure I am not buying something that is truely limited or can't even play the hd formats. Thanks.
The real issue I see with the DG-720 is it's inability to decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (the Hi-Res formats on BR). Now, this won't be an issue with the PS3 (because it can only send them as LPCM anyway), but it may be an issue later on if you decide to get a standalone BR player.

The other difference between the Sony and say the Yammy 663 is the amplifier section. I'm a little weary of Sony's spec'd 105w/channel @ 1.0% THD.....1.0% sounds really really high to me. I have no idea if that'd be audible, but for comparisons sake the Yamaha 663 lists 95w/channel @ 0.06% THD.

K

kadrik0

Audiophyte
The real issue I see with the DG-720 is it's inability to decode Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD MA (the Hi-Res formats on BR). Now, this won't be an issue with the PS3 (because it can only send them as LPCM anyway), but it may be an issue later on if you decide to get a standalone BR player.

The other difference between the Sony and say the Yammy 663 is the amplifier section. I'm a little weary of Sony's spec'd 105w/channel @ 1.0% THD.....1.0% sounds really really high to me. I have no idea if that'd be audible, but for comparisons sake the Yamaha 663 lists 95w/channel @ 0.06% THD.
Thanks for your help. I am going to get that Yamaha. I was reading the specs and it completely beats the other two receivers you listed. I found the Yamaha for $375 online. I plan on buying it this Friday. Can't wait to try it out.

C

cmm4

Audiophyte
Hi,
I also just got my PS3 and i've been looking to buy a receiver and speaker set.
I'm considering Onkyo TX-SR 606, Yamaha 663, and Onkyo HT-S5100. I'm planning to pair them up with KEF Speaker either 2005 or 3005. I'm open for other speaker system recommendation.
Can anyone give their two cents for the optimal set up to get the best out of the PS3 system?
Thanks for the help and replies :D

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Receiver.

The Yamaha RX-V661 is last years model, but it includes HDMI audio processing. Look for one in the $300-350 price range or save a few more bucks for the newer 663. Onkyo is about to come out with some new models (606) so also check for deals on the 605. You definately wont find these kind of prices at BB or CC.

C

cmm4

Audiophyte
PS 3 connected with non DTS-MA, Dolby TrueHD receivers

Dear all,
If the PS 3 decoded the audio to DTS-MA, and the receiver is just passing the audio to the speakers, is this mean I don't need to have receiver with DTS-MA decoding ability?
I need somone to clarify this for me, thank you

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Dear all,
If the PS 3 decoded the audio to DTS-MA, and the receiver is just passing the audio to the speakers, is this mean I don't need to have receiver with DTS-MA decoding ability?
I need somone to clarify this for me, thank you
If you have a PS3 you don't need a receiver that can decode TrueHD or DTS-HD/MA. Cheapest receiver that will be able to do what you want as long as you dont have hard to drive speakers is the Sony STR-DG720.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550566-REG/Sony_STR_DG720_STR_DG720_7_1_Channel_Home_Theater.html

But I would seriously look at the Yamaha 663 if you want a receiver that will last you a very long time.

K

kadrik0

Audiophyte
I ended up finding the 663 for even cheaper online. I found it for $350 total. Then I would also have to buy a 1.3 hdmi cable to run as a video out to my hd tv. I keep going back and forth on the Onkyo and the Yamaha. The reviews go back and forth. Once concern I have is future connections. I will pretty much use most of them up. The Yamaha is a brand I trust, it has some nice features, and is cheaper than the cheapest Onkyo 663. It is just this hd connection issue below. I could always try to find a hdmi switch later if they are cheap, If I get another hdmi device. The below devices would probably be the ones I always use. The Wii technically go straight to my tv and use the toslink out if I needed to.

My PS3 -> HDMI
My 360 -> Component (If it dies Elite with HDMI) with toslink
My Cable Box -> HDMI (I can use component)
My Wii -> Component

I read an article that the receiver only supports a max of three hd connections at one time. There are two hdmi and three component connections on the back of the receiver, but one reviewer said that the name for 2 component and 2 hdmi are the same, so you can only have one connected. For example -> DVR HDMI and DVR Component. If I use an HDMI in the DVR HDMI, I can't use the component cables in the DVR Component connections. I am checking with Yamaha on this issue. If you know if it is ok, please let me know. I doubt they would do this where you can only use a max of three hd connections at one time. If this is true, I won't be able to connect my wii to my receiver as component.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I read an article that the receiver only supports a max of three hd connections at one time. There are two hdmi and three component connections on the back of the receiver, but one reviewer said that the name for 2 component and 2 hdmi are the same, so you can only have one connected. For example -> DVR HDMI and DVR Component. If I use an HDMI in the DVR HDMI, I can't use the component cables in the DVR Component connections. I am checking with Yamaha on this issue. If you know if it is ok, please let me know. I doubt they would do this where you can only use a max of three hd connections at one time. If this is true, I won't be able to connect my wii to my receiver as component.
$350 is a great deal for that reciever!

You don't need a special HDMI 1.3a cable, basically any HDMI cable will work. Check out Bluejeans or Monoprice for decent cables at good prices.

I find it VERY hard to believe that that reciever can only handle 3 HD connections at once. Can you find me a link to that article? Or maybe someone else with a 663 can chime in (it's been a fairly popular reciever).

K

kadrik0

Audiophyte
This is the place where I found the review. It is under video inputs. http://www.shopping.com/xPR-Yamaha-Yamaha-RX-V663-7-1-Channel-Digital-Home-Theater-Receiver-Black~RD-429458034308.

I don't think it will be a problem. I have read like 15 reviews and he is the only one who mentioned it. I bet it was just a setup problem. You can specify an input source and an audio source for each device. I could also see clicking dvr a second time could switch between hdmi and component. I am still leaning towards Yamaha. The only thing I don't like about my setup is the ps3 to 663 decoding of HD audio. I would have to use pcm, but if it works. I kind of feel like others that I would like to see the DTS Master HD icon on my receiver.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
The only thing I don't like about my setup is the ps3 to 663 decoding of HD audio. I would have to use pcm, but if it works. I kind of feel like others that I would like to see the DTS Master HD icon on my receiver.
Eh, I wouldn't worry about that. It won't make a difference (SQ wise) whether it's the PS3 or the Reciever that decodes the audio. I believe Blu-ray was designed in fact to have the player do the decoding.

K

kadrik0

Audiophyte
I ended up hearing back from Yamaha. The 3 max hd signals was all a lie. I was right about just manually setting up a video and audio source. So you do get 2 hdmi and 3 component. Also, I asked about the video out. HDMI out of HDMI and Component out of Component. That same guy said that it all went out HDMI. Below is their response in case you are interested.

"If you use HDMI inputs DTV/CBL and DVD, and you want to use the DTV/CBL and DVD component inputs for something you still can. You will need to reassign the DVD component and DTV/CBL to one of your other video inputs(VCR and V-Aux). Now you have a total of 5 HD inputs. 2 HDMI ( DTV/CBL, DVD ), 3 COMPONENT ( DVR, VCR, and V-AUX )

The RX-V663 will up convert all video signal through the HDMI Monitor Out. The component will up convert all of the ananlog video signals."

Well, it looks like everything will work just fine. Thanks for your help. I am glad I learned about the pcm audio on the ps3. I know you get the same sound, but anyone would be worried when you show dts hd master on your ps3 and just pcm on the receiver. Hopefully, ps3 will upgrade to bitstream in the future, but due to limitations of the ps3's hdmi port, it may not happen. I am just glad every standard will now be playable on my system.

One final little question. Let's say I have a 7.1 source and I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. With the audio being sent as pcm from my ps3, would I still get all of the sound as if it was 7.1. For example, let's say I have a 7.1 dts master hd signal being sent to my 5.1 speakers as pcm, would I get all of the hd dts sound to my channels/speakers (but the missing two) and not be automatically converted to dts 5.1? I know it would probably be converted if I switched to bitstream for example. Just wanting to double check.

This receiver is for my parents house and when I move out I will get the 7.1 speakers. We just have no room for it now. Thanks.

C

cmm4

Audiophyte
Onkyo TX-SR 606,Yamaha 663, Pioneer VSX-LX 50?

Gus 6464,
thanks for the insight. I'm going to ask you another questions. If you compare between Onkyo TX-SR 606,Yamaha 663, Pioneer VSX-LX 50, which is better in overall sound (music,movie,games) and video based on your opinion? I have been browsing a lot of forums but i couldn't get the comparison between these three receiver. I live in Indonesia, and it's very difficult to visit a store and test those three brands, and judge it for myself.
Right now i'm using Samsung LCD M81 40 inch, and PS3. I'm considering KEF 2005 or 3005 as my speaker set.
If anybody have the experience with those receiver, your input is welcome, thank you

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
If you have a PS3 you don't need a receiver that can decode TrueHD or DTS-HD/MA. Cheapest receiver that will be able to do what you want as long as you dont have hard to drive speakers is the Sony STR-DG720.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/550566-REG/Sony_STR_DG720_STR_DG720_7_1_Channel_Home_Theater.html

But I would seriously look at the Yamaha 663 if you want a receiver that will last you a very long time.
Or even better, as JcPanny suggested, the Yamaha RX-V661. I can't recommend that Sony for many reasons; less power, less connectivity, less processing brawn, lacks preouts. The preouts are a killer, especially if one wishes to power any speaker they want. Your speaker choices should not be limited by your choice in receiver, you are only preventing yourself from getting the best you can by doing so.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Eh, I wouldn't worry about that. It won't make a difference (SQ wise) whether it's the PS3 or the Reciever that decodes the audio. I believe Blu-ray was designed in fact to have the player do the decoding.
Since the PS3 cannot bitstream Dolby TrueHD or DTS-MA (it decodes/converts them to LPCM internally) it's irrelevant whether the receiver has on board decoding for those formats. But as you say, it's technically superior to have the PS3 handle the decoding internally anyway. In this case bitstreaming* is inferior and only has one advantage. The advantage is that warm fuzzy feeling of seeing the DTS-HD or Dolby TrueHD logo lighting up on the screen. It makes no audible or visual difference where the decoding takes place.

*Bitstreaming is inferior because it cuts out any secondary audio, such as commentaries or menu sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
One final little question. Let's say I have a 7.1 source and I only have a 5.1 speaker setup. With the audio being sent as pcm from my ps3, would I still get all of the sound as if it was 7.1. For example, let's say I have a 7.1 dts master hd signal being sent to my 5.1 speakers as pcm, would I get all of the hd dts sound to my channels/speakers (but the missing two) and not be automatically converted to dts 5.1? I know it would probably be converted if I switched to bitstream for example. Just wanting to double check.
The 7.1 discrete surround will be downmixed into 5.1 surround. Typically it just mixes the rear channels into your side surrounds (which are incorrectly refered to as rears in a 5.1 system, in a 5.1 setup your surrounds should be located at the side of the listening position and a foot or two above the position).

The current PS3 models (20GB, 40GB, 60GB, and 80GB) are physically incapable of bitstreaming DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD. They will never have this option on current models. It's possible that future versions of the PS3 may support bitstreaming, but such a feature is rather unnecessary as the PS3 is fully capable of decoding the formats internally assuming you have the most currect firmware updates on your PS3.

K

kadrik0

Audiophyte
The 7.1 discrete surround will be downmixed into 5.1 surround. Typically it just mixes the rear channels into your side surrounds (which are incorrectly refered to as rears in a 5.1 system, in a 5.1 setup your surrounds should be located at the side of the listening position and a foot or two above the position).

The current PS3 models (20GB, 40GB, 60GB, and 80GB) are physically incapable of bitstreaming DTS-HD, Dolby Digital Plus, and Dolby TrueHD. They will never have this option on current models. It's possible that future versions of the PS3 may support bitstreaming, but such a feature is rather unnecessary as the PS3 is fully capable of decoding the formats internally assuming you have the most currect firmware updates on your PS3.
I was hoping it would still give me the hd sound even though I only have 5 speakers and a sub. Glad it does. My ps3 has all the latest firmware, so I should be up and running quickly once it comes in. I ended up finding a guy on ebay that was selling new rx-v663 for 350 with free shipping. I jumped on that. I will post my opinion about it next week hopefully. It will be so handy. I have been using a toslink switch for audio lately since my current receiver only has one input. It will be nice to just click vcr or whatever on the receiver remote and get instant results with both audio and video. Can't wait to re-watch Jumper, Rambo, or Twister with this receiver.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis