MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
These damn things are everywhere in our area. They are getting out of hand. The weather has just gotten nice and you cannot even enjoy the outdoors. I have just noticed them within the last 3 years, i remeber going through an entire summer not seeing one, now i see them everyday either in the house or attached to myself or my dogs:eek::eek::eek:.
The reasons these things bother me because they are a parasites and attach to you and suck your blood and they could possibly carry tick borne diseases such as lyme disease:eek::eek:.

Does anyone else have this problem in their area in the united states or canada.

engtaz

engtaz

Full Audioholic
Florida is bad about ticks. We use Permathrin to get rid of them.

engtaz

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I'm surrounded by woods and we also have ticks.
In the past, I've put Diazinon on my lawn area, and it worked very well.
It isn't sold to homeowners anymore,(since 2004) and I've used the last of my supply.
So, this summer I have to find a replacement.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
These damn things are everywhere in our area. They are getting out of hand. The weather has just gotten nice and you cannot even enjoy the outdoors. I have just noticed them within the last 3 years, i remeber going through an entire summer not seeing one, now i see them everyday either in the house or attached to myself or my dogs:eek::eek::eek:.
The reasons these things bother me because they are a parasites and attach to you and suck your blood and they could possibly carry tick borne diseases such as lyme disease:eek::eek:.

Does anyone else have this problem in their area in the united states or canada.
Yeah, they are real bad here. I call them Politicians!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes: That is, both ticks and Politicians serve nearly the same purpose-suck everything they can get out of you. For ticks it as you said blood whereas Politicians just want your money albeit in the form of TAXES!!!!!!! Okay, now I feel better. Thank you very much. ;);)

Cheers,

Phil

PS Too bad we don't have a spray for Politicians. :confused: If we did, then I would have to have a big bottle of it.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Is there something you can spray that wont kill the trees or the grass but just the ticks...the worst is having one of these things attached to you and pulling the sucker off...luckily I have caught them quick so they are still small and have not expanded...if you ever go to google and get images of these things it is really gross especially when they have attached to a host for days to even weeks:eek::eek::eek:

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Is there something you can spray that wont kill the trees or the grass but just the ticks...the worst is having one of these things attached to you and pulling the sucker off...luckily I have caught them quick so they are still small and have not expanded...if you ever go to google and get images of these things it is really gross especially when they have attached to a host for days to even weeks:eek::eek::eek:
I started using this last year. Easy to apply too.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/productCategorySubSelf.jsp?navAction=jump&itemId=cat50078&id=cat50008

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My grandmother used to take a wet match to get the stubborn ones off of us when we were kids. It worked every time. Just wet a match and rub it on the tick. Not long afterwards, it will try to move and becomes much easier to get off. Too bad, it doesn't work on Politicians.

Cheers,

Phil

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My grandmother used to take a wet match to get the stubborn ones off of us when we were kids. It worked every time. Just wet a match and rub it on the tick. Not long afterwards, it will try to move and becomes much easier to get off. Too bad, it doesn't work on Politicians.

Cheers,

Phil
Yeah these damn things are hard to kill too, you just cant squish them like a bug because of their outer shell. Whenever I have had one on i just pull it off as it takes a piece of my skin with it and then flush it down the toilet. Then I just put some rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on the bite to kill any bacteria on the surface.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah these damn things are hard to kill too, you just cant squish them like a bug because of their outer shell. Whenever I have had one on i just pull it off as it takes a piece of my skin with it and then flush it down the toilet. Then I just put some rubbing alcohol or hydrogen peroxide on the bite to kill any bacteria on the surface.
This method works, but sometimes the head can stay attached. This is why my Grandmother always used a wet match. The tick will release as a means to get away from the wet match. It is then that the tick is easier to remove.

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I'm thinking, maybe a dry match and a bit of gas.:D
Yes Yes-with a huge rock attached to them over some deep ocean somewheres. That way, if the match and gas fail, perhaps the rock and water will take care of them once and for all. :D:D

Cheers,

Phil

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Ticks have always been a problem here in Oklahoma.
If one attaches to you, never pull it off, as the jaws can remain attached and become infected. Applying strong heat (like a soldering iron) or strong chemical (like a drop of bleach) will cause it to let go and drop off.

J

jamie2112

Banned
Damn I just found 2 ticks on my dog. I guess reading this thread jinxed me..:D

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Damn I just found 2 ticks on my dog. I guess reading this thread jinxed me..:D
I think that is how the majority of them get in the house. You can get tick medication for dogs but it is expensive. I do not use the medication on the dogs myself because I do not think it is very healthy for them. When the vet said if a cat would lick the medication off their coat it could kill them:eek:

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
I think that is how the majority of them get in the house. You can get tick medication for dogs but it is expensive. I do not use the medication on the dogs myself because I do not think it is very healthy for them. When the vet said if a cat would lick the medication off their coat it could kill them:eek:
Our cat did just that, it didnt kill him though. He drooled for about 5 minutes. Then he was a little inactive for a few days. Hes back to normal now though. He might have been one of the lucky ones.

Peace,
Tommy

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis