Audio Industry Employment

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
How difficult is it to find a job in the audio industry designing speakers? I'm majoring at school in mechanical engineering and am thinking it would be an exciting job. Anyone here working in the audio industry? Any advice on hooking up with a company?

J

jamie2112

Banned
Hey there Srgntpepper, I work in the live sound industry and speaker companies are always looking for people. If you want to get into HT speaker design I am not as sure as to whats out there but I am sure you can find something with a degree in engineering. Do something that makes you happy, life is too short to have a job you don't like....:D

sgtpepper9

sgtpepper9

Audioholic
Do something that makes you happy, life is too short to have a job you don't like....:D
That's my exact thinking. I'm getting my masters in engineering studying vibration control. I am pretty excited about it and really enjoy music and sound. I just don't know where to look...

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I would be cautious about making a career out of a hobby, you may end up losing both in the end. Nevermind the fact its a extremely difficult business with an always questionable future and most things are simply re-tooled ideas that have been around forever. I would never tell anyone to not follow the dream and wish you luck and fortune if you decide to try it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
...life is too short to have a job you don't like...
So true. Strangely, though, you can make life feel much longer by having a job that you don't like 'cause everyday feels like a freaking eternity.

I would be cautious about making a career out of a hobby, you may end up losing both in the end.
A good point. Things are fun...until they become work. Some people are able to keep the joy in it, and others aren't.

As stated, though, best of luck in whatever you choose.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Things are fun...until they become work.
Which is exactly why I never complete 'personal' programming projects. I want a Music management kind of application that suits my needs. I've got the database done and that's pretty much it. I have to update it manually because I haven't done much of anything as far as writing a user interface to it.

A Master's in Mechanical Engineering will open some good opportunities. Maybe it would be best to start out with a 'regular' mechanical engineering job and pursue the speaker building stuff on the side. You never know...other opportunities may present themselves and while you wait you can build up your financial reserves, which makes a transition to something different much easier.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
How difficult is it to find a job in the audio industry designing speakers? I'm majoring at school in mechanical engineering and am thinking it would be an exciting job. Anyone here working in the audio industry? Any advice on hooking up with a company?
Have you thought of calling a few speaker builders and chit-chat with them?

I think you'd need some/lot of experience in acoustics and perhaps electronics as well.

Haoleb

Haoleb

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have been intersted in getting into the Audio hobby professionally for years. I got a degree in electronics because of my interest in the hobby, which turned out great. I loved college. After that I got a job designing and putting together proposals for clients houses with theaters, distributed audio etc. And then onto actually doing the installs which I enjoyed for a while. Working with the stuff everyday did make me loose some interest in the hobby since it just wasnt as exciting anymore. Although for myself anyway being into more of the 2 channel side of things I was able to keep alot of interest because I didnt get to work with the kind of stuff that I still drool over. Mostly just in wall speakers,700 dollar recievers and 200 dollar dvd players. Nothing Too exciting.

I have wanted to look into designing and building my own gear. Particularly intersted in amplifiers and preamplifiers. The one reality that I see in this market though is this. You better have a product that either doesnt yet exist, or is better than what everyone else is producing otherwise you'll just end up being another name in the sea of hundreds. Especially in such a niche market I see that being pretty risky.

I dont see it being a likely reality that someone who is just starting out would be able to produce something better than the guys that have been doing this for decades. Just like with anything.

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
Which is exactly why I never complete 'personal' programming projects. I want a Music management kind of application that suits my needs. I've got the database done and that's pretty much it. I have to update it manually because I haven't done much of anything as far as writing a user interface to it.
This is the trap I fell into. I work with computers all day long... I get home, the last thing I want to do is boot up my computer.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I have never had a job that didn't suck, no matter how much I enjoyed it before it became a job. I think it is fair to say that work sucks as a matter of principle.

J

jamie2112

Banned
I love my job. I travel all over the world mixing bands.I make good money in the studio as well. I love music and am very glad to work in a field that I love.I would agree that most any job turns into a suck factor at some point.:D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
To me, job satisfaction has a lot to do with the job environment, too. You can be doing something that you love, but if you're disrespected and made miserable by your coworkers, then it's going to suck. If you're doing something that you don't have much passion for, but you're well treated and get along with the people around you, then it's not so bad. If you're able to do something that you love while working in a great environment, then savor it because not everyone has that.

The risk that was pointed out here is that there's a chance that something you love will turn into something that you hate. However, no reason to make a goal of finding something that you hate to begin with.

Tarub

Tarub

Senior Audioholic
I know some underground speaker company that always has a job opening. But you have to drive a white van and cruise around the mall parking lot and sell the product for 80% off.;) :D It's BIG money.

Just like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
I have never had a job that didn't suck, no matter how much I enjoyed it before it became a job. I think it is fair to say that work sucks as a matter of principle.
I dont know anyone who feels that way, I feel a bit sad for you.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Wow....... Perhaps you have just worked with the wrong people, I enjoy my work :p
Cheer up Joe :D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Wow....... Perhaps you have just worked with the wrong people, I enjoy my work :p
Cheer up Joe :D
Thanks, I will try. For me, the worst thing about work is simply being at work, as there are always things I would much rather be doing. I did enjoy my brief experience with freelancing (as a graphic artist), but it offered little or no security.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
The general rule of thumb is you can either do what you love to do and not make much money, or you can make a lot of money and not like what you do. I think it is a very loose rule myself, as plenty of people have found high-paying careers doing what they love. It's all about timing, accuracy and being in the right place at the right time. Poll anyone, and they will tell you that they wish they made more money, but money alone is not a measurement of success or even one's worth. ;)

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I would be cautious about making a career out of a hobby, you may end up losing both in the end. Nevermind the fact its a extremely difficult business with an always questionable future and most things are simply re-tooled ideas that have been around forever. I would never tell anyone to not follow the dream and wish you luck and fortune if you decide to try it.
That's absurd... if everyone felt this way, all we would have to choose from would be Bose and Monster products. There has to be a degree of passion in this business and that comes from people who truly love the industry and strive to make it better. Good for them = good for us.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
The general rule of thumb is you can either do what you love to do and not make much money, or you can make a lot of money and not like what you do. I think it is a very loose rule myself, as plenty of people have found high-paying careers doing what they love. It's all about timing, accuracy and being in the right place at the right time. Poll anyone, and they will tell you that they wish they made more money, but money alone is not a measurement of success or even one's worth. ;)
Well, there's another option
Loving what you do and make piles of money, that's possible too :D

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
That's absurd... if everyone felt this way, all we would have to choose from would be Bose and Monster products. There has to be a degree of passion in this business and that comes from people who truly love the industry and strive to make it better. Good for them = good for us.
I really totally agree with you there... as always, halon..... Your work would preferable have to be something that you really like so much that it could be your hobby.

Don't hesitate to make business out of your hobby, as long as it's financially viable :cool:

Come on People, NOT is a nay-nay word, YES is better !!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis