Lip Smacking while eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Excellent observation. Thanks.

Hi Halon,
The OP singled out Americans; which seems to be fashionable, as of late.
It sounds like Markw is just a little fed up with the hate / blame America first attitude.
This just may have been the straw...
Now, instead of "Americans", had he said something like "teen-agers" or "my fellow high school students" I most likely wouldn't have bothered to respond.

But, yes, he did specifically single out Americans and that's what plunked my magic twanger and I did mention his in each of my other posts.

As Bartles and James would have said, "Thanks for your support"

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It drives me absolutley insane. I understand that some cultures do it as a sign of satisfaction. But why do so many Americans do this (especially students at my highschool)?

Whats so offensive about this?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Halon,
The OP singled out Americans; which seems to be fashionable, as of late.
It sounds like Markw is just a little fed up with the hate / blame America first attitude.
This just may have been the straw...
I understand - I didn't exactly overlook this little detail, but it seems as if he has made an attempt at clarifying anyway. I do agree with Markw and I too am fed up with the hate/blame America mentality that is dominating the population lately - I guess I just felt the response was too strong for his age/maturity level, but can understand his frustration nonetheless. I feel it too...

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
As an American, I actually agree with the notion that Americans have become sloppy people. It's like you can't go anywhere without being surrounding by people who don't even bother combing their hair and putting on clean clothes. Some areas are better than others, but Americans in general have been gravitating towards the lower-class end of the spectrum and it's a disgusting trend IMO.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
It drives me absolutley insane. I understand that some cultures do it as a sign of satisfaction. But why do so many Americans do this (especially students at my highschool)? Ive noticed alot of people dont even relize they do it or even completely deny it. Its either a full on SMACK-SMACK-SMACK, or a few subtle smacks when they are about to swallow, followed by an odd whining noise. Whats even worse is when they make moaning sounds, growl, and breathe heavily when doing so. Is it supposed to taste better that way?

Bad parenting is the reason. If the parents don't teach their children to have decent manners, they will most likely end up savages. Occasionally, people will raise themselves out of the gutter and learn on their own, but most don't. So they will probably stay savages. Unfortunately, most parents don't take their parenting responsibilities seriously enough, and just want schools to raise their children for them, even though, obviously, a school is no substitute for parenting. If they did take their duties and responsibilities seriously enough, they would probably decide to not have children, as doing a good job of raising children is an incredible amount of work. Most people quite simply are not up to the challenge of doing it well.

Since you are talking about manners in an American school, customs in other parts of the world are irrelevant. In any case, I doubt that most of your classmates would be models of politeness in other cultures, either.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Now, instead of "Americans", had he said something like "teen-agers" or "my fellow high school students" I most likely wouldn't have bothered to respond.

But, yes, he did specifically single out Americans and that's what plunked my magic twanger and I did mention his in each of my other posts.

I think his mentioning of Americans was to show that he was in a culture which does not (or hasn't in the past) thought of slurping as displaying proper manners. If he had said that he was somewhere where such behavior was considered the pinnacle of good manners, then it would be important to know that when responding. As it is, slurping in America is, among those who are not pigs, not considered appropriate manners while eating. Obviously, if one is entertaining someone from another culture, allowances should be made for different customs, just as one would hope that allowances would be made if one were visiting someplace else with different customs.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
He may have mentioned culture, but I know many Canadians, and "white people" that make lots of noise while eating. I was referring to them white people when I posted.

If you want to project the race thing in there by all means go for it, but it was not there to begin with.

Oh and Mark, if you don't want this to be a main topic for discussion, I suggest not posting.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

You have a track record for getting your panties in a bunch any time someone mentions Americans.

Domestic cars suck.

SheepStar

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
So, you don't like Canadian cars?
Canadian cars, american cars it is the same thing. Canadian cars would be anything made by ford, g.m or chrysler etc. I agree with sheep, after owning a honda and mazda after many years buying domestic i would never buy any north american manufactured car ever again. They have been very realible cars for me, I cant say that about my last ford. I think Ford bought out Mazda now, but i am not sure.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

Canadian cars, american cars it is the same thing. Canadian cars would be anything made by ford, g.m or chrysler etc. I agree with sheep, after owning a honda and mazda after many years buying domestic i would never buy any north american manufactured car ever again. They have been very realible cars for me, I cant say that about my last ford. I think Ford bought out Mazda now, but i am not sure.
I guess you would not buy a Honda, Toyota, Subaru, Mazda, Nissan, or Mitsubishi then either since many/all of them all have manufacturing plants in North America and are therefore manufactured here.

I believe Ford to be a Majority shareholder of Mazda, but they are allowed to operate independently with a bit of parts sharing.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I believe Ford to be a Majority shareholder of Mazda, but they are allowed to operate independently with a bit of parts sharing.
The Probe GT I have is similar to and can use parts from the Mazda MX-6. In fact, since the car is getting pretty old (14 years) it is very hard if not impossible to get parts locally from Ford and you have to get the equivalent Mazda part, if one is available.

That's the thing I don't like about taking a hard stance of 'buy American' or 'don't buy American'. They are all intermingled and there is no such thing as a purely 'American' made car nor are most foreign cars composed of parts sourced solely from that manufacturers local region.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
So, you don't like Canadian cars?
Canadian MADE cars, yes. Most of the Camry's we're having problems with were made in the USA. There is no Canadian car companies.

Toyota is crap, they are no longer Imports. Honda is better then Toyota. Don't want to believe me? Fine, buy one.

I wouldn't buy a Maz(ford)da, Subaru, Toyota, or Nissan. It's all about Honda.

SheepStar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis