Lip Smacking while eating

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
It drives me absolutley insane. I understand that some cultures do it as a sign of satisfaction. But why do so many Americans do this (especially students at my highschool)? Ive noticed alot of people dont even relize they do it or even completely deny it. Its either a full on SMACK-SMACK-SMACK, or a few subtle smacks when they are about to swallow, followed by an odd whining noise. Whats even worse is when they make moaning sounds, growl, and breathe heavily when doing so. Is it supposed to taste better that way?

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My first roommate in college was a Chinese guy. The Chinese enjoy rice but this guy would put his mouth right next to the bowl and slurp it up. Yes it can be annoying to a western guy that is not familiar with that...but people are different.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I know people that suck in every time they open their mouth, and they whistle. I have severed friendships by kicking people in the face over this.

SheepStar

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I know people that suck in every time they open their mouth, and they whistle. I have severed friendships by kicking people in the face over this.

SheepStar
Maybe you should try smacking them first instead of kicking them. You may save a couple of friendships that way....:D

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
You should see some of the mannerisms from outside the country - in actually we're not that bad compared to some of the stuff I've seen. In the UAE for example, I observed locals balling up rice in their hands and shoving it in their mouths, chewing with their mouths open, dropping it all over - a practice that woud elicit horror from patrons in any American establishment.

If it bothers you, try sitting at a different table? ;)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Heck, I'll go even further.

If it bothers you, try sitting at a different table? ;)
Since it seems that it's only Americans that bother you that much, why not try another country?

Oh, that's right. You're only in high school and mommy and daddy still call the shots. Apparantly they don't seem to have problems with Americans.

Being a child sux, doesn't it?

Oh, that's right. You're only in high school and mommy and daddy still call the shots. Apparantly they don't seem to have problems with Americans.

Being a child sux, doesn't it?
Who are you talking to? Holy overreactions, Batman.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
It's a low-class thing to do IMO. Slurping your soup, smacking your lips, and then of course dragging your feet instead of lifting them when you walk.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
The OP. Well, yes and no.

Who are you talking to? Holy overreactions, Batman.
I was hoping that the OP was the target would have been clear, but I apologize if it wasn't. What galled me the most is that he singles out Americans but also the immaturity of his post struck me. Yes, this is a disgusting habit but it doesn't need to be a main topic of discussion. If it offends him that much, simply avoid the people with whom he associates.

He should be a bit more choosey with whom he associates rather than biitch about their idiosynchrocies (sp?) to others. He will find out that in life, in some cases one can choose to disassociate themselves with those one finds distasteful. Unless the school has assigned seating, this is one of them.

If one choses to not avail themsalves of that option, then one should not complain to others about their associates shortcomings. He should be a man and broach the subject with those who offend him, not to strangers behind their back.

N

niget2002

Junior Audioholic
I was hoping that the OP was the target would have been clear, but I apologize if it wasn't. What galled me the most is that he singles out Americans but also the immaturity of his post struck me. Yes, this is a disgusting habit but it doesn't need to be a main topic of discussion. If it offends him that much, simply avoid the people with whom he associates.

He should be a bit more choosey with whom he associates rather than biitch about their idiosynchrocies (sp?) to others. He will find out that in life, in some cases one can choose to disassociate themselves with those one finds distasteful. Unless the school has assigned seating, this is one of them.

If one choses to not avail themsalves of that option, then one should not complain to others about their associates shortcomings. He should be a man and broach the subject with those who offend him, not to strangers behind their back.
I've seen rants from much more "knowledgeable" people about much more trivial issues.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
My first roommate in college was a Chinese guy. The Chinese enjoy rice but this guy would put his mouth right next to the bowl and slurp it up. Yes it can be annoying to a western guy that is not familiar with that...but people are different.
I am not chinese but I do love chinese food. It seems like slurping their food is accetable etiquette in chinese culture. Slurping chinese noodles comes to mind....Chinese noodles Mmmmmmmm. Hopefully someone that is Chinese could chime in on this because this has peaked my interest.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Legit slurping...

Noodle eating cultures (most of Asia) slurp the noodle to cool it down as they eat.

Though you would like to know.

To the OP: It's highschool, put your time in like I did and then you can go to STFU. In other words, get over it.

Trust me: Slurping is happening in high schools the world over. Not just us 'dumb', 'uncultered' Americans.

You may want to show some of the respect you desire whilst in the U.S.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Noodle eating cultures (most of Asia) slurp the noodle to cool it down as they eat.

Very interesting. Is slurping still acceptable when you go to more formal events such as a fancy restaurant?

jinjuku

jinjuku

Very interesting. Is slurping still acceptable when you go to more formal events such as a fancy restaurant?
Yes,

Just ask my wife who went to dinner with a bunch of Japanese delegates. 12 People, a $1600 bill. They were all slurping and most of them drunk.

Last edited:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Sheesh, tough crowd here - take it easy on the poor guy, he's only in high school, he's still got a lot to learn about the way the world works, which he'll find out eventually like we all did at one point or another. Hell, I'm still trying to figure it out... :eek:

jinjuku

jinjuku

Sheesh, tough crowd here - take it easy on the poor guy, he's only in high school, he's still got a lot to learn about the way the world works, which he'll find out eventually like we all did at one point or another. Hell, I'm still trying to figure it out... :eek:
We are just trying to accelerate his understanding:D

Samuel Langhorne Clemens (Mark Twain) said it best:

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education"

E

EYEdROP0

Audioholic
The thing is, I do tell the person up front about it when I need to, and Im not rude about it. Ill still associate with the people as though they were human beings and tell them politely to quiet down because Im trying to work. Im not trying to talk crap behind their back. I guess lip smacking is just one of my pet peeves, I hear it almost all the way through the school day. People are always snacking on something in class. I just figured I would let out some steam in this here steam vent.

And Im not singling out Americans. In fact, if you read my OP, I specifically acgnolige the fact that in other countries, its normal. In fact, I would probably be just as annoyed in another country, I just wouldn't say anything.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The thing is, I do tell the person up front about it when I need to, and Im not rude about it. Ill still associate with the people as though they were human beings and tell them politely to quiet down because Im trying to work. Im not trying to talk crap behind their back. I guess lip smacking is just one of my pet peeves, I hear it almost all the way through the school day. People are always snacking on something in class. I just figured I would let out some steam in this here steam vent.

And Im not singling out Americans. In fact, if you read my OP, I specifically acgnolige the fact that in other countries, its normal. In fact, I would probably be just as annoyed in another country, I just wouldn't say anything.
Cool, Cool, thx for the clarification. Yes it annoys me too...;)

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Hi Halon,
The OP singled out Americans; which seems to be fashionable, as of late.
It sounds like Markw is just a little fed up with the hate / blame America first attitude.
This just may have been the straw...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis