Using SPL meter to set up AVR

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
I'm finally wiring everything up, and will need to set up speaker levels, etc...
I think I understand how to use my SPL meter but need to be sure.

I'm going to follow the directions for settings on the meter and I assume I need to watch it as the tones sound, but what am I looking for or what exactly will I need to write down and then set into the receiver? The meter has a limited range +/- but if it is pegged either way, how do you adjust? Am I trying to achieve a 0 result on the meter?

Please help, a detailed step by step method would be best.
Thanks everyone.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
If you get the Avia disc, it explains how to use it. It may also depend on your meter, but I have the Radio Shack analog meter, and you set it to C weighted and slow response. You should set your receiver to 0 and calibrate the level for each channel to 75 db on the meter. That will be what is known as reference level, but it will probably be a lot louder than you will want to listen, so you can calibrate each channel to a lower number, or do like me and just don't turn it up that loud, but still calibrate to 75 db.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
SPL Meter

If the meter is pegged high or low, adjust the range on the meter or adjust the volume knob on the receiver until you get approximately 75 dB. Then continue the calibration for the other channels.

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
So what receiver did you end up going with here...

People who own those particular brands can help out a bit more.

Generally when you start the auto configuration it will set everything up for you, which is what I let it do. Then after it gets things close I start to do a manual override of the settings.

I have a pioneer for my pre/pro, and the auto setup does pretty good except I will tweek the levels of my speakers after its done a bit more. Another thing is it will set the distances and standing waves which is pretty accurate, but you might want to check those speaker distances with a tape measure just to be sure. MCAAC pretty much does everything perfectly except when it get to the EQ. It also wants to set that stuff all over the map... After it does all its configuration, I check all that stuff and then I reset the EQ to flat for every speaker.

The Pioneer has a Data Management spot where you can copy one setup to the next spot 1-5 and change things and save that config. That is how I use it... Let it do its thing, copy it to spot 2 or whatever and then tweek it the way I like it and save. then I'm done.. I get very good results that way, and I pretty much just set it and forget it...

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Still a little confused

This is my understanding:
Set the meter up, set the receiver to 0 on the volume knob(middle vol setting?), play the pink noise tones and watch the meter to see if the speakers are at the right level.
I don't have the meter in front of me but if I remember it has 0 and then some ticks plus and minus. I'm thinking I need to watch the meter and get it close to the 0 reading, and if not it will be some other amount which I then enter into the receiver as compensation?

Am I way off?

Also I have the Yammy 663.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
Your off but here is hat you need to do,

set you reciever to a low level first, go into menu for calibration and get the pink noise playing on your left front........now slowly bring up volume to 70-80db reading on your meter with "C" weight selected, now that you establish a number (say 75db) the goal is to raise or lower all speakers levels so you get that same original number on ALL speakers with meter in the position you intend to sit in. The sub woofer may or may not need tweaked a bit according to what you enjoy.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I don't have the meter in front of me but if I remember it has 0 and then some ticks plus and minus. I'm thinking I need to watch the meter and get it close to the 0 reading, and if not it will be some other amount which I then enter into the receiver as compensation?
It sounds like you have an analog SPL meter. 0 on the scale of the meter means the SPL reading is exactly at the range you set. If you set the range to 70, when the pointer is at 0 the SPL is 70 dB. If the pointer is at +5 the SPL is 75 dB, etc.

You aren't entering offsets to compensate. You adjust the channel levels until the meter reads your target SPL, which should be 75 dB if you are using the internal test tones of the receiver.

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Volume scale on the 663

Thanks to all responders...I think I got it.
What is the starting point on the volume knob?
I hate to say it but I have yet to power my stuff up(I know...the SHAME...but I had to move, get furniture, and paint). In other words, I don't what the readings on the volume will be when I start out.
Thanks for help with the basic questions.
Happy Listening

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
-80 Is the start of the volume on the 663, not sure what the top is, I think it's +16.5 if I remember correctly. When I have my levels calibrated to 75 db, I never really listen to movies above -10 on the receivers volume, that goes for both my main and bedroom systems. You can set starting and max volume levels as well, so every time you turn it on, regardless of what the volume was when you turned it off it will be at that level eac time. I have mine set to -35 db. when I power it up, and no max volume.

itschris

itschris

Good thread. I'm ready to start fine tuning myself. I have the Pioneer Elite 94 and am pretty happy with the auto setup, but it's time to start getting into the nitty gritty.

newb

newb

Junior Audioholic
Volume clarification

Sorry Glocks...
I should have been more clear, when I do the setup of the speakers, what volume do I set on the receiver to use the SPL meter starting out? I know I'm shooting for 75db on the meter.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I should have been more clear, when I do the setup of the speakers, what volume do I set on the receiver to use the SPL meter starting out? I know I'm shooting for 75db on the meter.
Since the receiver uses the relative volume display (-80 to +whatever), the convention would be to use 0. That way the number on the volume display indicates where you are relative to the reference setting.

0 becomes your reference setting and your average SPL will be 75 dB when the input level is -30 dB (the level of the test tones and not coincidentally roughly the average level of dialog in a movie soundtrack) and your peaks will be 105 dB (75+30). You won't listen to it that loud very often though - it's really loud.

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
Hi guys,

My question is regarding speaker distance. Is that measured from your listening position to the speaker? The reason I ask is because my auto setup is way off especially the distance for my sub assuming that the distance is measured from the listening area to the speaker.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
My question is regarding speaker distance. Is that measured from your listening position to the speaker? The reason I ask is because my auto setup is way off especially the distance for my sub assuming that the distance is measured from the listening area to the speaker.
For all speakers other than the sub, the distance is the actual physical distance from the listening position to the speaker. For the sub, the auto setup routines measure the 'acoustic distance' which takes into account properties of the sub such as group delay. In other words, it tries to calculate the distance setting that will best integrate the sub with the other speakers.

There is some debate about it, but the consensus seems to be that you should accept the auto setup calculated distance rather than change it to the real physical distance. A lot of the other aspects of setup like xover and speaker sizes, it often gets wrong and you should change them manually.

T

timone

Junior Audioholic
Thank you, MDS.

That clarifies speaker distance for me especially the one for sub, although it's still unclear to me what the "acoustic distance" is. All I know now based on your response is that it has little to do with physical distance from it to the listening position.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
For all speakers other than the sub, the distance is the actual physical distance from the listening position to the speaker. For the sub, the auto setup routines measure the 'acoustic distance' which takes into account properties of the sub such as group delay. In other words, it tries to calculate the distance setting that will best integrate the sub with the other speakers.

There is some debate about it, but the consensus seems to be that you should accept the auto setup calculated distance rather than change it to the real physical distance. A lot of the other aspects of setup like xover and speaker sizes, it often gets wrong and you should change them manually.
Well, I be darn as I have always corrected for the distance assigned to my sub. I noticed, that the sub always seems to be placed at some weird distance whereas the rest of my speakers were assigned much more real world distances. Guess, I need to recalibrate when I find the time. Thanks for the info-very in formative.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis