Need input - buying PS3 now or waiting it out

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
For those who don't know, wal-mart is running a special on the 40gb PS3's where you get a $100 gift card w/purchase. BB is matching this. I could use the card at BB for a HDD upgrade, or give it to my wife for groceries... either way, it's an investment.

Now, I had planned to pick up a PS3 later this year and use it as a HTPC by upgrading the HDD and running the Ubuntu software as my O/S. With this deal, I'm starting to wonder if I should go ahead and jump on it or if something like this will come along later?

I've been trying to do some quick-research on PS3s; differences in the 80/40 versions mainly. From what I can tell the main hits are that the 80 has 4usb ports vs. 40's (2) ports. And the 80gb version is backwards compatible with ps2 games.

The 2 things above don't worry me, because I can buy a usb hub, and I NEVER play video games, much less old ones.
Other than this, is there any 'future proof' issues I'd need to worry about regarding the 2 models? They both can upgrade firmware via the 'net, correct?

I'm sorry to have another PS3 thread, but I'm really having a tough time making this call and would really appreciate some input. If I do this, I'll be spending the next month and half's 'allowance'...

Typically these deals precede an upgrade, meaning that the pricing may not come along again for a while, but a new model will also be available and the product line will "ripple" downward.

With that said, these shifts also on occasion come with price drops, but not often.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The difference between the 40gb and 80 gb

40gb will not support ps2 games, flash card readers, SACD. The 80 gb supports everything.

If you were using this mainly as a video game machine then these options really do not affect you however if you use this mostly for multimedia well having more hardrive space and SACD support could be a very big deal to some. Both models accept firmware updates

Matt34

Matt34

The difference between the 40gb and 80 gb

40gb will not support ps2 games, flash card readers, SACD. The 80 gb supports everything.

If you were using this mainly as a video game machine then these options really do not affect you however if you use this mostly for multimedia well having more hardrive space and SACD support could be a very big deal to some. Both models accept firmware updates
Just FYI, you can now buy 320gb 2.5" HD for around $125 and 250gb for under $100. Really boils down to the extras and backward capability imo.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Don't care about video games at all.

Don't need a media card reader.

Don't have any SACD's so would never benefit from it.

40gb will be pulled instantly; replaced with 250gb likely.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
It looks like this will fit your needs, I would say pull the trigger on it.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Man, I just don't know...
Now I'm really starting to consider just ordering a BD drive and new graphics card for my PC and using that. Not much wrong with it now... just the graphics card doesn't have hdmi; only dvi.

Also need a new sound card for digital out since my receiver doesn't have an hdmi input and my current soundcard doesn't have digital out.

Man, this is getting tough. FWIW, though, the price difference b/t upgrading my current PC to be a BD capable machine would be the same as it would be to buy a PS3. :eek:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
With the deal at Walmart and Best Buy, I would say now is about the best time one could get one.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
I've decided to pass on the PS3 and just use my existing PC, add a BD drive and be done with it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis