All Current Denon DVD Players are made in China!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This is confirmed by Ean Levy @ Denon Customer Support.

Even the newer $3,800 DVD-5910CI is now made in China.

Thank goodness I bought my DVD-5910CI before this change was made.:D
My PMA-2000IVRs are made in Japan (all three:)).

Unfortunately, my $2,000 DVD-3800BDCI blu-ray player was made in China.:(

The receivers and separates are still made in Japan. So get them while they lasts. Who knows when they will start making the receivers in China too?:mad:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
This is confirmed by Ean Levy @ Denon Customer Support.

Even the newer $3,800 DVD-5910CI is now made in China.

Thank goodness I bought my DVD-5910CI before this change was made.:D
My PMA-2000IVRs are made in Japan (all three:)).

Unfortunately, my $2,000 DVD-3800BDCI blu-ray player was made in China.:(

The receivers and separates are still made in Japan. So get them while they lasts. Who knows when they will start making the receivers in China too?:mad:
Are you concerned about the way workers are often treated in China, or do you imagine that the quality of Chinese products is not as good as other places? Granted, China does produce some garbage, but they also manufacture some of the finest products available anywhere. Most manufacturers of high quality electronics have some or all of their equipment made in China. This includes big name audiophile types as well. For example, Mark Levinson's Red Rose speakers were made in China. I bought some speakers made in the same factory, but without his brand name on them, and the ones I have are great. They are much better quality than many of the speakers I have seen made in other countries.

But if you want to be depressed about something, you might want to search out reviews of the Oppo DV-983H DVD player. If you bought your DVD player in the last couple of months, you could have saved a lot of money and gotten world class performance. The Oppo, of course, is made in China.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Most manufacturers of high quality electronics have some or all of their equipment made in China. This includes big name audiophile types as well. For example, Mark Levinson's Red Rose speakers were made in China...The Oppo, of course, is made in China.
I had no idea that any Mark Levinson products were made in China.:D

Bad treatments for people are always bad, of course, so that is always a big concern.

I was a little concern about quality. I mean the DVD-3800BDCI blu-ray produces awesome PQ & SQ, so I know the quality is great. I don't know. I should not be concerned. I guess so many things are made in China now due to business cost. A lot of medicine (like Heparin) are also made in China. I'm sure they are excellent quality too.:D

But some Mark Levinson products made in China? Interesting!

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

Bad treatments for people are always bad, of course, so that is always a big concern.

I was a little concern about quality. I mean the DVD-3800BDCI blu-ray produces awesome PQ & SQ, so I know the quality is great. I don't know. I should not be concerned. I guess so many things are made in China now due to business cost. A lot of medicine (like Heparin) are also made in China. I'm sure they are excellent quality too.:D

It is the Red Rose brand, Mark Levinson's newer company that he started after he left the company called "Mark Levinson". He was also involved with a company called Cello, I believe, after Mark Levinson [the company] and before Red Rose Music. So, some Mark Levinson (the person) products have been made in China. I do not know if any Mark Levinson (the company) products have been made in China. But I would not be surprised if they were, as it is now owned by Madrigal Audio Laboratories (part of the Harman International Industries group, and some of their products are made in China).

I agree that treatment of workers is important. I wish there were an easy way to find out who treats their workers decently and who does not. I know this kind of thing cannot be accurately judged simply by what country the factory is in. And I don't want to discriminate against a company that happens to be in the same country as companies that do abuse workers. In fact, I think it is a good thing to support companies that treat workers fairly in countries that also have companies that mistreat their workers. If nothing else, it shows that even in those countries, it is not necessary to be cruel to workers.

itschris

itschris

I love General Tso chicken, but I do wish less manufacturing was headed to China. The more manufacturing we export, the more beholden we become to these hostile (at least hostile to the US) nations. I'm a financial analyst and we spend a lot of time analyzing world economies, the trends - political and otherwise and this is a very real threat to us, just behind foreign dependence on oil.

It would be nice to buy American or Japanese and know that quality is not potentially traded off for cheap and abusive labor. That certainly assumes a lot on my part, but that's the way I wish it would be. Hell, Henkle knives were being made in Mexico and their quality went so far downhill they brought their flagship line back to Germany.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
You better be careful, there might be some lead in those chinese made players!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

They have just killed a bunch of people with their Heparin. There is grave concern about the quality of drugs from China which is now 80% of our prescription drugs. They have only just let the FDA in. This whole thing is a scandal. After my experience with Chinese plumbing fittings, I have had with Chinese manufacture. I'm ready to close the book on them.

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
I think it's a sad thing to see so much manufacturing moving to the Chinese (Or, as I like to call 'em, The Godless Commie Slavemasters). Unfortunately, it's reality. The scariest thing is in drugs (Commie Heparin, anyone?), pet food (is your dog still alive?), toothpaste (how's that ethylene glycol taste?), kid's toys (eat lead, Mikey).
Guess we'll have to get used to paying more if we want more things made in the U.S.

Of course, that's just my opinion...I could be wrong:rolleyes:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love General Tso chicken, but I do wish less manufacturing was headed to China. The more manufacturing we export, the more beholden we become to these hostile (at least hostile to the US) nations. I'm a financial analyst and we spend a lot of time analyzing world economies, the trends - political and otherwise and this is a very real threat to us, just behind foreign dependence on oil.

It would be nice to buy American or Japanese and know that quality is not potentially traded off for cheap and abusive labor. That certainly assumes a lot on my part, but that's the way I wish it would be. Hell, Henkle knives were being made in Mexico and their quality went so far downhill they brought their flagship line back to Germany.
Yeah, I agree. I do love General Tso chicken too.:D

I would love for Denon to have a factory here in the US. I do prefer "made in Japan" or "made in the USA".

But I guess none of us can control that.

C

ChunkyDark

Full Audioholic
What made me nervous last year was finding out the 90-95% (can't remember exactly) of all ascorbic acid is made in China now. Try and buy juice (I have 2 year old) that doesn't have it....go ahead i'll wait....hard to find huh? You have to buy the more expensive per ounce than gold organic stuff.
Now I don't mind buying organic, most of our food is now, but it just makes me very anxious that something that is so prevalent in our food industry is being made in one place.
The next time you go shopping take a look at how often it’s in what you’re buying.

If you not familiar with it, ascorbic acid is a form of vitamin C that makes a great food preservative.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They have just killed a bunch of people with their Heparin. There is grave concern about the quality of drugs from China which is now 80% of our prescription drugs. They have only just let the FDA in. This whole thing is a scandal. After my experience with Chinese plumbing fittings, I have had with Chinese manufacture. I'm ready to close the book on them.
Why so many drugs (Cipro, Doxycycline, Heparin, and many others) are being made anywhere else besides the US is ridiculous.

Yeah, that's why there is a Heparin shortage.

Every time there is a drug shortage, my first thought is, "was it contaminated from China?"

I saw a video of one of the Heparin Plants in China- Nasty looking.

I wonder what their Electronics Plants look like?

I wonder if their electronics plants look all nice and clean, while the drug plants look all nasty and crappy.:eek:

Or do they all look nasty?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What made me nervous last year was finding out the 90-95% (can't remember exactly) of all ascorbic acid is made in China now. Try and buy juice (I have 2 year old) that doesn't have it....go ahead i'll wait....hard to find huh? You have to buy the more expensive per ounce than gold organic stuff.
Now I don't mind buying organic, most of our food is now, but it just makes me very anxious that something that is so prevalent in our food industry is being made in one place.
The next time you go shopping take a look at how often it’s in what you’re buying.

If you not familiar with it, ascorbic acid is a form of vitamin C that makes a great food preservative.
A lot of the really, really important drugs like Antibiotics and Anticoagulants and Albumin are made in China and other countries. Most of the drugs are made outside the US with NO FDA Inspections!

So if we ever get biochemical attacks (Anthrax) and we have to rely on Cipro and Doxycycline and other antibiotics, which could be made in China, which could be contaminated or just plain FAKE, we are screwed.

That Denon-made-in-China is going back! (Just kidding).

The Denon DVD-3800BDCI and other DVD players have great PQ & SQ.

If I had known that it were made in China, I wonder if I would have bought it anyway?

I wonder if all the new Marantz DVD players are also made in China?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's a sad thing to see so much manufacturing moving to the Chinese (Or, as I like to call 'em, The Godless Commie Slavemasters). Unfortunately, it's reality. The scariest thing is in drugs (Commie Heparin, anyone?), pet food (is your dog still alive?), toothpaste (how's that ethylene glycol taste?), kid's toys (eat lead, Mikey).
Guess we'll have to get used to paying more if we want more things made in the U.S.

No, I think most people would agree with you. We just don't say it.:D

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja

I agree that it is unfortunate that so much manufacturing has gone to the Chinese. It is not a good thing to become so dependent upon the products of one country. You can blame the so-called "free trade" deals for this sort of thing, which obviously benefit owners of large corporations and the politicians who get bribes...excuse me, "legitimate campaign contributions"...from them. Protective tariffs are not always simply an "evil" way to manipulate where a product is made, though they sometimes have been.

Of course, you are right that there are a lot of bad things and bad production methods in China. But not everything made in China is bad, and it isn't all done with slave labor. What I have been suggesting is to distinguish between what is good and what isn't from a particular country, and not simply condemn every product from a country because of the practices of other companies in the same country. There have been sweatshops in the U.S., but you wouldn't condemn everything with a "made in U.S.A." label, would you?

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
My Marantz receiver was made in China and I have no complaints about the quality.

I'd prefer to buy American over Chinese products from both the labor point of view and the balance of trade point of view. It not fair, however, to single out China. There are sweat shops in this country and probably every other country.

Jim

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall
I wondering if those three Denon receivers I had were made in china and the workers were real ticked off :eek: Very interesting thread ;)

TheFactor

TheFactor

Audioholic Field Marshall

I'm also wondering if all those wonderful products were or are readily available to the Chinese :cool:

Last edited:
F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The Chinese are getting to be pretty good manufacturers. I had a visit from a retired sales rep that used to call on me yesterday. He retired when his employer folded. I missed one of the products he sold me so I had some made in China with better specs. I showed it to him. He smiled and commented that it was a lot better than the ones his old employer used to make in New York.

I do wish the the Federal government would reduce or eliminate income tax and replace the defecit with import duties. That way taxes would be optional. We would only pay them when we decided to buy something imported. It would also help American manufacturers do more manufacturing in America. It would also make tax collection cheaper and easier for the government. Washington hasn't figured that one out yet.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis