MGS4 to require 4.6G install!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I just read this on a game site. Not a big deal to me, I have 19G free still, but this is apparently to reduce load times, and presumably for cutscenes to run smoothly. That is a lot of data though. I know for Folklore the install took about 40 minutes, and I don't think it was that large...

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I just read this on a game site. Not a big deal to me, I have 19G free still, but this is apparently to reduce load times, and presumably for cutscenes to run smoothly. That is a lot of data though. I know for Folklore the install took about 40 minutes, and I don't think it was that large...
Why can't the developers make this game without a download. MGS4 is an exclusive so I would imagine it is one of Sony's developers making this game. I am still not convinced with the power of the cell for gaming even though it is great for multimedia. Did you have to do a download for GTA IV?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, there was no install for Uncharted either and the graphics are phenomenal - the game is short though and I know MGS almost certainly won't be. I didn't buy GTA, not really my kind of game.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
At least with the 360 I don't have to install the demos, and I don't have to install any game data when I first play a game.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
I would assume that MGS4 will be a massive game. This is a huge title for Sony, they cant %$#@ this game up.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Konami's one of the biggest publishers in the world:
http://games.ign.com/objects/025/025039.html

The mind behind the MGS games is Hideo Kojima, a very famous game designer.
Konami biggests interests lay in Sony even though they develop for other consoles and handhelds. The best games, they develop for them. Konami's game list for Microsoft is very few and the games they made suck. They tend to support the Asian Company's, Nintendo, Sony etc. They develop a lot for the Wii, but the titles for that system will never bring as much attention as MGS4.

Last edited:
E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Have you guys seen the gameplay video? If so, what are your thoughts on the game from watching it?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
I am still not convinced with the power of the cell for gaming even though it is great for multimedia. Did you have to do a download for GTA IV?
If you have played Uncharted for PS3 on a nice HDTV and paid much attention, it is the single most impressive graphics rendering in any game on any platform I have seen - even embarrassing Crysis on the PC, with the shear level of environmental micro-rendered detail and generous raw polygon usage. However, as far as I know, Uncharted is the only game currently released that uses a significant portion of CELL(about 30 percent according to an interview with the publisher), with most games using the mediocre RSX back end GPU only(apparently, it's very easy to progam/use as compared to optimizing for the CELL).

-Chris

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
If you have played Uncharted for PS3 on a nice HDTV and paid much attention, it is the single most impressive graphics rendering in any game on any platform I have seen - even embarrassing Crysis on the PC, with the shear level of environmental micro-rendered detail and generous raw polygon usage. However, as far as I know, Uncharted is the only game currently released that uses a significant portion of CELL(about 30 percent according to an interview with the publisher), with most games using the mediocre RSX back end GPU only(apparently, it's very easy to progam/use as compared to optimizing for the CELL).

-Chris
Before the PS3 was released Sony declared that the cell was the second coming in the world of gaming and that it would be graphically superior to what the 360 and PC could ever do. That is not the case. After all the hype cleared and developers realized how hard it is to program and optimize the cell, so far all sony has showed is weaker multiplatform games compared to the 360 and at par graphics with exclusives. Sony has not done anything yet to blow the 360 or the PC out of the water. I still take the stance the cell is overhyped for gaming. Maybe as time goes by and developers get a better feel of the architechure, that might change but as of right now, after well over a year there has been little progress IMO. I have done little research on MGS4 but I am sure this game has the potential to be the best game for the PS3, I will be curious how much of the cell is used in this game.

Last edited:
WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Before the PS3 was released Sony declared that the cell was the second coming in the world of gaming and that it would be graphically superior to what the 360 and PC could ever do. That is not the case. After all the hype cleared and developers realized how hard it is to program and optimize the cell, so far all sony has showed is weaker multiplatform games compared to the 360 and at par graphics with exclusives. Sony has not done anything yet to blow the 360 or the PC out of the water. I still take the stance the cell is overhyped for gaming. Maybe as time goes by and developers get a better feel of the architechure, that might change but as of right now, after well over a year there has been little progress IMO. I have done little research on MGS4 but I am sure this game has the potential to be the best game for the PS3, I will be curious how much of the cell is used in this game.
Well, as far as Uncharted goes, the CELL is used quite a bit to achieve the extreme detailed environments - beyond anything I have seen done elsewhere - and use very high polygons on the characters at the same time(as opposed to having to sacrificing one or another). It would be nice if MGS4 was at least equal. I would expect the new Final Fantasy to be superior, using a high percentage of the CELL CPU, based on SquareSoft(SqaureEnix)'s early advanced support of the PS2, historically.

-Chris

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
What I have found from reading developers opinions on both systems is many of them are looking for the system that has the best development tools not necessarily which system has the more potential.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Hopefully, the Uncharted "engine" will be used in future games. That coupled with the Motorstorm engine and recently optimized for PS3 Unreal engine should yield some better looking games on PS3.

God of War 3 will probably raise the bar too...

unreal.freak

unreal.freak

Senior Audioholic
When i had UT2004 on my PC it was a total of 10gigs. I think the intitial install was around 5 gigs. MGS4 seems right on track.

Peace,
Tommy

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Would somebody like to inform a gaming newbie as to what MGS4 stands for?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Would somebody like to inform a gaming newbie as to what MGS4 stands for?
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

The last of the MGS story involving Solid Snake. From the preliminary reviews (magazines already have the final game for review) they say it has the most advanced AI ever seen in a video game.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
What I have found from reading developers opinions on both systems is many of them are looking for the system that has the best development tools not necessarily which system has the more potential.
That is probably true. The Uncharted game I cited earlier, took 2 or 3 years to produce, and you can see the levels get more sophisticated in terms of rendering the environment as you progress through the game(as if they were learning more about how to optimize as they designed the game). Certainly does not seem like a situation practical to mainstream game production.

-Chris

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
If I owned a PS3 this is one game I would be looking forward to the release!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis