Status
Not open for further replies.
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I have no issues with pot whatsoever. I don't use it, nor will I ever, because I choose to retain control over my mind and mental processes and stay sharp and focused. But hey, if someone wants to puff their lives away I don't see any problem with that; we need people to pick up our garbage and staff the fast food resturants too. ;)

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
But hey, if someone wants to puff their lives away I don't see any problem with that; we need people to pick up our garbage and staff the fast food resturants too. ;)
I think you'd be surprised how many high stress/ high pay/ high responsibility jobs drug addicts have. My fiance works at a rehab facility. If you doubt this, check out the recent problems the Boston firefighters have had.....

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
By the way, this is from Brown University, no bastion of anything conservative:

http://www.brown.edu/Student_Services/Health_Services/Health_Education/atod/marijuana.htm

"Are there short-term dangers of smoking marijuana?
Discomforts associated with smoking marijuana include dry mouth, dry eyes, increased heart rate and visible signs of intoxication such as bloodshot eyes and puffy eyelids. Other problems include:

Impaired memory and ability to learn
Difficulty thinking and problem solving
Anxiety attacks or feelings of paranoia
Impaired muscle coordination and judgment
Increased susceptibility to infections
Dangerous impairment of driving skills. Studies show that it impairs braking time, attention to traffic signals and other driving behaviors.
Cardiac problems for people with heart disease or high blood pressure, because marijuana increases the heart rate
It is virtually impossible to overdose from marijuana, which sets it apart from most drugs.

Are there long-term consequences to smoking marijuana?
Respiratory problems
Someone who smokes marijuana regularly can have many of the same respiratory problems as cigarette smokers. Persistent coughing, symptoms of bronchitis and more frequent chest colds are possible symptoms. There are over 400 chemicals that have been found in marijuana smoke. Benzyprene, a known human carcinogen, is present in marijuana smoke. Regardless of the THC content, the amount of tar inhaled by marijuana smokers and the level of carbon monoxide are 3 to 5 times higher than in cigarette smoke. This is most likely due to inhaling marijuana more deeply, holding the smoke in the lungs and because marijuana smoke is unfiltered.

Memory and learning
Recent research shows that regular marijuana use compromises the ability to learn and to remember information by impairing the ability to focus, sustain, and shift attention. One study also found that long-term use reduces the ability to organize and integrate complex information.

In addition, marijuana impairs short-term memory and decreases motivation to accomplish tasks, even after the high is over. In one study, even small doses impaired the ability to recall words from a list seen 20 minutes earlier.

Fertility
Long-term marijuana use suppresses the production of hormones that help regulate the reproductive system. For men, this can cause decreased sperm counts and very heavy users can experience erectile dysfunction. Women may experience irregular periods from heavy marijuana use. These problems would most likely result in a decreased ability to conceive but not lead to complete infertility.

Is marijuana addictive?
No one would argue that marijuana is as addictive as alcohol or cocaine. However, it's wrong to say that it is not at all addictive. More and more studies are finding that marijuana has addictive properties. Both animal and human studies show physical and psychological withdrawal symptoms from marijuana, including irritability, restlessness, insomnia, nausea and intense dreams. Tolerance to marijuana also builds up rapidly. Heavy users need 8 times higher doses to get the same effects as infrequent users.

For a small percentage of people who use it, marijuana can be highly addictive. It is estimated that 10% to 14% of users will become heavily dependent. More than 120,000 people in the US seek treatment for marijuana addiction every year. Because the consequences of marijuana use can be subtle and insidious, it is more difficult to recognize signs of addiction. Cultural and societal beliefs that marijuana cannot be addictive make it less likely for people to seek help or to get support for quitting."

I'll say it again Brown University, nothing conservative in this place.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Can't ....resist.....replying...... ehh..nooo..... fine!!!

Drug users are just about the lowest form of scum there is, above them are the dealers and below them are child molesters.
I don't agree with any of your points, but, if you really do mean this, I am impressed that you don't drink alcohol. It's easy to pass on pot, but, I find alcohol pretty hard to pass up. I'm not a big drinker, but, just the social contexts of it (grabbing a drink with friends, business people, etc.) makes it difficult for me to stop all together.

Putting any smoke into your lungs whether it's pot or tobacco is foolish. As for legalizing pot, we have enough problems and health issues with what's legal, so why add fuel to the fire? Drugs have away of getting into kids hands, why make it easier? Our health system is in shambles, why burden it with even more patients. I like alcohol (very, very moderately), but if it's banned tomorrow....hey that's life, I won't be controlled by a liquid or a piece of weed. As for medicinal use, that's up tp the authorities, but don't ask it be accepted from a moral perspective and expect everyone to go along with you. I'm a parent and I'm very involved in my kid's life, I for one don't want him to have easy access to it. I still, from time to time, run into "acquaintances" from high school, those that were into the pot scene haven't amounted to much, some still use pot as a crutch to deal with life or as an excuse for their sorry state of affairs. As for the benign uses of pot I give you Ricky Williams as exhibit A: Gifted, wealthy, promising career, all down the drain for the love of a stinky piece of weed, how weak can a man get? Or is his problem addiction? Oh wait pot's not addictive, right?
Well, alcohol prohibition didn't work, and this isn't either. Marijuana is easier to get as a minor than alcohol is, because it's unregulated. If it was legalized and regulated, marijuana would probably be harder than alcohol to get, or equally. I'd imagine the usage to drop, like it did in Amsterdam, mostly from the loss of novelty though. In comparison to alcohol though, I'd rather have my kid smoking pot than getting trashed.

Everything in moderation. If you tell your kid that drinking underage is evil (while you down a beer), and then say pot is going to really mess up his life... when you finally do the let off the leash (or your kid figures out how to sneak around) and your tries some drugs (alcohol, pot, whatever), his lack of realistic exposure will be dangerous. He won't know how much he can drink, he won't know how to handle being drunk, and the same for everything else. I'm not saying you should accept illegal activity from your child, but I strongly believe that being realistic with them is essential. It's usually the parents that are overly strict and not realistic that end up with kids that go off the college and end up going crazy, I've seen it a bunch, it's basically clockwork. They try pot and say "if my dad lied to me about this, what else did he lie to me about?" I think honest conversations with kids about drugs is a better preventative measure. Because, if the kid has half a brain, he's going to know the wine mommy and daddy down kills many, while the pot uncle mike smokes when no one is looking hasn't killed him or anyone else. I don't have kids yet, and I'm going to discourage excessive drug use and most drugs at all, but I'm going to be honest. I'm not going to lie and end up with a kid in the hospital wondering what I did wrong.

As far as Ricky Williams, that story has baggage we don't know about. There has always been a 'F the system' attitude from him. Maybe that was just his final F U.

The one and only issue I have with pot has nothing to do with pot itself: Where it is found, other drugs are often found also, and these can be vastly more dangerous. One of the biggest concerns is someone buying from a dealer they don't know and trust, and getting pot laced with PCP (really nasty stuff!:eek:)
Marijuana sells itself, there isn't a need to lace it. For a dealer, there really isn't an upside. If they lace it, they'll make less profit, and smoking most drugs is pretty inefficient and wasteful in itself. If for some reason they did, the user would figure it out pretty fast since the bud would have to be dusted in whatever.

Also, the idea that other drugs are found around marijuana is kind of a wrong. There are marijuana dealers that take pride in their bud and only deal that ... and then there are 'hard drug' dealers that sometimes have marijuana (but rarely, and generally bought from a marijuana dealer rather than direct from a grower), but, generally only sell coke or whatever else their clients like. Someone who is really into marijuana enough to buy it, isn't going to be into coke. They take opposite personalities. Alcohol and coke are a more common mixture. People who like to party all night generally don't like pot because it makes them sleepy later on, whereas cocaine allows them to drink all night (because it offsets the alcohol).

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I think you'd be surprised how many high stress/ high pay/ high responsibility jobs drug addicts have. My fiance works at a rehab facility. If you doubt this, check out the recent problems the Boston firefighters have had.....
Please.... :rolleyes: This ain't my first rodeo amigo, I've been around a few places in life and know the drill. One of my own good friends smoked his way through law school at Fordham in NYC, and is now a successful lawyer working in Miami, so what? Are you going to seriously argue that drugs do not lessen one's ability to think clearly and focus? That in many more cases than not, long-time users/smokers are generally found in the lower two-fifths of the bottom of our society? At least those who champion the use of it, more often than not are not the ones gunning for that top engineering position at JPL, or working on their post-doctorate in neurology. Hell, neither am I for that matter, but just illustrating a point.

So go ahead, refute it - your ignorance would be my entertainment. :)

EDIT: Oh, and by the way my wife works as a counselor for the Drug Abuse Comprehensive Coordinating Office here in Tampa, and has worked in various Drug Education and Prevention programs up and down the Eastern US. You lose. :D

Last edited:
jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Can't ....resist.....replying...... ehh..nooo..... fine!!!

I don't agree with any of your points, but, if you really do mean this, I am impressed that you don't drink alcohol. It's easy to pass on pot, but, I find alcohol pretty hard to pass up. I'm not a big drinker, but, just the social contexts of it (grabbing a drink with friends, business people, etc.) makes it difficult for me to stop all together.
I do drink wine and beer and the once in a while mixed drink or a sip of good bourbon. The alcohol/pot comparison is not valid. Is alcohol addictive? you bet. Does it destroy lives? absolutely. Does drinking too much cause harm to your body. No doubt about it. Is a glass of beer or wine as bad for your body as one joint is? No way no how and actually quite the opposite.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Well, alcohol prohibition didn't work, and this isn't either. Marijuana is easier to get as a minor than alcohol is, because it's unregulated. If it was legalized and regulated, marijuana would probably be harder than alcohol to get, or equally. I'd imagine the usage to drop, like it did in Amsterdam, mostly from the loss of novelty though. In comparison to alcohol though, I'd rather have my kid smoking pot than getting trashed. Everything in moderation. If you tell your kid that drinking underage is evil (while you down a beer), and then say pot is going to really mess up his life... when you finally do the let off the leash (or your kid figures out how to sneak around) and your tries some drugs (alcohol, pot, whatever), his lack of realistic exposure will be dangerous. He won't know how much he can drink, he won't know how to handle being drunk, and the same for everything else. I'm not saying you should accept illegal activity from your child, but I strongly believe that being realistic with them is essential. It's usually the parents that are overly strict and not realistic that end up with kids that go off the college and end up going crazy, I've seen it a bunch, it's basically clockwork. They try pot and say "if my dad lied to me about this, what else did he lie to me about?" I think honest conversations with kids about drugs is a better preventative measure. Because, if the kid has half a brain, he's going to know the wine mommy and daddy down kills many, while the pot uncle mike smokes when no one is looking hasn't killed him or anyone else. I don't have kids yet, and I'm going to discourage excessive drug use and most drugs at all, but I'm going to be honest. I'm not going to lie and end up with a kid in the hospital wondering what I did wrong.

As far as Ricky Williams, that story has baggage we don't know about. There has always been a 'F the system' attitude from him. Maybe that was just his final F U.

What is moderation? What are the long term effects? You'd rather have you kid stoned than drunk!?? Thank God you don't have any!! "If the kid has half a brain," this is hilarious, yes I can tell you have no experience with children and as such your talking with 0 experience, "I'm going to discourage excessive drug use," why not just discourage it all together? Why not give your kid a fighting chance to get to the top and not run the risk of turning into some "could-have been" loser? My brother in law is in the medical field, he practiced in Europe back in the 80s, he's well versed in Amsterdam's drug culture, it's used as a case study, the details are horrendous. What mommy and daddy drink kills people? Well mommy and daddy shouldn't drink and drive or get high and drive and Uncle Mike is probably too stoned to care what happens to junior. Mommy and daddy have an obligation and duty to their offspring, the sample you set at home is what will guide your child. I wonder why children whose parents are involved in their informative years are least likely to need drugs to cope with life? If you do a decent job as a parent you don't have to worry about letting a kid "off a leash," all it takes is parental responsibility. My parents never did drugs, my father could and can always look me in the eyes and I know he wouldn't lie, I guess I was brought up that way, my kid is being raised the same, I figure if my parents did right by me, the least I can do is the same for mine, honesty and discipline go hand in hand.

Some of you guys should seriously consider not having children, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
As for Ricky not having a drug problem:

"Williams said there were 'a hundred reasons' for his retirement and that his desire to continue smoking marijuana without inhibition was merely one of them.

"He said he was not addicted to the drug, but merely that he didn't believe in government and NFL laws banning it. He said he had already decided to quit football even before testing positive a second time for marijuana use last season and incurring a $650,000 fine. He appealed that fine, flying to New York to argue his case before an arbiter with his attorney, but received word last week that his appeal had been denied.

"While the appeal was pending, Williams said he continued smoking marijuana while on tour with rocker Lenny Kravitz in Europe and failed a third test upon his return. He said he had been using a masking agent to cleanse his system while being randomly tested for two seasons, but said he didn't even bother before the last such test after returning from Europe."

"Williams failed his first drug test soon after arriving in Miami in 2002. He spent much of his two seasons with the Dolphins in the league's drug program, seeing a therapist weekly and subjected to eight to 10 random urine tests a month at his home.

"Williams said he continued smoking throughout his time as Dolphins, stopping only for a month here and there, but passed random tests by drinking 32 ounces of a masking agent called Extra Clean and chasing it quickly with 32 ounces of water...

"Williams, who suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesperson for the anti-depressant Paxil, said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using Paxil because it didn't agree with his diet.

"'Marijuana is 10 times better for me than Paxil,' he said.

"Williams said he doesn't see anything wrong with marijuana because it is 'just a plant' and his hero, Bob Marley, admitted to smoking it daily. Williams has Marley tattoos all over his body, named his first child Marley and is friends with Marley's children."

That doesn't sound like someone who has a drug problem.:rolleyes:

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
What is moderation? What are the long term effects? You'd rather have you kid stoned than drunk!?? Thank God you don't have any!! "If the kid has half a brain," this is hilarious, yes I can tell you have no experience with children and as such your talking with 0 experience, "I'm going to discourage excessive drug use," why not just discourage it all together? Why not give your kid a fighting chance to get to the top and not run the risk of turning into some "could-have been" loser? My brother in law is in the medical field, he practiced in Europe back in the 80s, he's well versed in Amsterdam's drug culture, it's used as a case study, the details are horrendous. What mommy and daddy drink kills people? Well mommy and daddy shouldn't drink and drive or get high and drive and Uncle Mike is probably to stoned to care what happens to junior. Mommy and daddy have an obligation and duty to their offspring, the sample you set at home is what will guide your child. I wonder why children whose parents are involved in their informative years are least likely to need drugs to cope with life? If you do a decent job as a parent you don't have to worry about letting a kid "off a leash," all it takes is parental responsibility. My parents never did drugs, my father could and can always look me in the eyes and I know he wouldn't lie, I guess I was brought up that way, my kid is being raised the same, I figure if my parents did right by me, the least I can do is the same for mine, honesty and discipline go hand in hand.

Some of you guys should seriously consider not having children, really.
It's difficult to communicate on the Internet, and I sense in your post that I'm suggesting you should support your kid in underage drinking and whatever else, which I'm not. I'm just saying I find that, as a young adult, the parents that were crazy strict and pumped a lot of propaganda at their kids (again, I'm not calling you out, I'm speaking generally), are the ones with kids now that I see sloshed in a bar, or picking up a rather expensive bump habit. It's not a rule, but, it's pretty obvious and just about any kid that's been to college has seen the girl who just got off the leash and is now going crazy... and getting into trouble. What I fear, if I was a parent one day, is that if I said to my kid 'marijuana is going to give you bronchitis, it's going to make you into a bum, it's going to have all kinds of dangerous health problems' .... when they start to think of themselves, and they see that their smoking friends don't have bronchitis, they have friends that get A's that smoke on the regular, and they have had teachers, doctors and all kinds of people admit to smoking without ill effects... they might stop and go: 'If dad lied to me about this, what else is he lying to me about?' My approach wouldn't be to support it, but rather to be honest. Marijuana CAN become a problem for people who use it in excess or let it run their lives, even if it's less likely than addictive drugs. I'll make that very clear, but I'm not going to feed them bunk about it.

I also suspect that by the time I have kids it will be at least decriminalized, as it has started to be in parts of the country already. Politics are moving that way, especially now that younger politicians are gaining steam. Even Obama admits to smoking weed, inhaling, and doesn't feel it's a big issue for america (he believes that the war is much bigger of an issue). I'm not saying support Obama, I'm just saying that here is an example.... and that's a guy playing it 'safe' to get into office. If he ever got in, who knows.

On the low level, a lot of police go out of their way to avoid marijuana arrests... at least where I live. The jails are too full, and the punishment outweighs the crime. Drunks are a lot bigger of an issue for them, driving around and getting violent or whatever. For a cop to arrest a kid with a bong listening to music in his bedroom, *shrug* I think they'll pass. In my experience here at school, I've heard countless stories and seen countless cops let people go with small amounts. It's not worth the paperwork. Surely other cops will disagree, but, in my experience, most of them are more worried about drugs that aren't peaceful. The days of the evil marijuana drug lord are kind of bunk now, as a lot of stoners buy from local US growers to avoid that whole thing in the first place. There sure are enough of them.

Last edited:
C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
As for Ricky not having a drug problem:

"Williams said there were 'a hundred reasons' for his retirement and that his desire to continue smoking marijuana without inhibition was merely one of them.

"He said he was not addicted to the drug, but merely that he didn't believe in government and NFL laws banning it. He said he had already decided to quit football even before testing positive a second time for marijuana use last season and incurring a $650,000 fine. He appealed that fine, flying to New York to argue his case before an arbiter with his attorney, but received word last week that his appeal had been denied.

"While the appeal was pending, Williams said he continued smoking marijuana while on tour with rocker Lenny Kravitz in Europe and failed a third test upon his return. He said he had been using a masking agent to cleanse his system while being randomly tested for two seasons, but said he didn't even bother before the last such test after returning from Europe."

"Williams failed his first drug test soon after arriving in Miami in 2002. He spent much of his two seasons with the Dolphins in the league's drug program, seeing a therapist weekly and subjected to eight to 10 random urine tests a month at his home.

"Williams said he continued smoking throughout his time as Dolphins, stopping only for a month here and there, but passed random tests by drinking 32 ounces of a masking agent called Extra Clean and chasing it quickly with 32 ounces of water...

"Williams, who suffers from social-anxiety disorder and was a spokesperson for the anti-depressant Paxil, said marijuana helped him once he had to stop using Paxil because it didn't agree with his diet.

"'Marijuana is 10 times better for me than Paxil,' he said.

"Williams said he doesn't see anything wrong with marijuana because it is 'just a plant' and his hero, Bob Marley, admitted to smoking it daily. Williams has Marley tattoos all over his body, named his first child Marley and is friends with Marley's children."

That doesn't sound like someone who has a drug problem.:rolleyes:
No, it sounds like someone who would rather some marijuana than SSRI's (which, are frickin' nasty). If the much weaker, less side-effect drug of marijuana can solve his problem, why would he take Paxil?

http://www.ssristories.com/

He doesn't sound like a loser to me, or even that he has a drug problem. He is saying no to dangerous Paxil and saying yes to something that is milder and works for him. I didn't know much about this story, but, now that you've filled me in... I'm pretty impressed with the guy. In a medical state, he probably would have been fine and just gotten a perscription.

Now, I don't know Ricky... I don't know if marijuana was the right choice for him ... but from reading what you showed me... I'd say marijuana is the better choice than Paxil. That stuff is crazy.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Pot is a pretty cool guy, eh holds plants and isn't afraid of anything.

Couldn't have plants without pots! :D

Gimpy Ric

Gimpy Ric

Like I said before, I smoke to relieve spasms associated with my spinal cord injury and for pleasure. This thread is starting to remind me of the '50's film Reefer Madness, with so much BS spewing from the mouths of those that don't know thier butts from a hole in the ground on this topic.

So if you don't partake, kindly quit trolling this thread ;)

As for me, my cousin who is 10 days older than me turned me on when I was 14 years old. I started drinking at 14 also. Booze was as easy to get as just stealing it from my Mom and Dads liquar cabinet, Pot was harder to get as it wasn't down the hall from my bedroom.

And all this BS in this thread about your health REALLY makes me laugh. I take 3-5 "puffs" off of my little pipe, and I'm done for several hours. Just like drinking, to maintain your buzz, the drug must be continued to be consumed to maintain your "high". I do not smoke all day, although I used to hit the Crown and Cokes at 2 p.m. everyday at any of my favorite watering holes, or at home. Did you know you can get a DUI in a wheelchair? Sad but true.

I quit drinking cold turkey by myself years ago, none of that 12 step crap needed. I guess that shows my own will power and determination. Some have it, some don't. If you can't, Tough stuff ;).

Another thing most non users don't know is that you can only get so high, making constant non stop "binge" smoking stupid. NOBODY HAS EVER SMOKED THEMSELVES TO DEATH! IT CANNOT BE DONE! That high has far far fewer bad side effects than "drinking oneself under the table". With alcohol the more you drink, the drunker you get, until you pass out or die. Not so with pot.

And you can see that I'm not googleing the topic for "facts" because I don't need to. I'm 43 years old now, smoking for almost 30 years. I know all I need to know :cool:.

Why did I post this? So non smokers might have some insight from one user. This is just a message board, so I don't know any of you. But here's a picture of a quadriplegic (me) typing all 550 plus posts I have by mouth, all computer skills self taught after I was paralysed:

Notice the Aperion 532 rear surround on the wall. Gear in the background is Amateur Radios. Another expensive hobby of mine.

Here is another with my Amateur Radio mike setup:

Gimpy with a s**t eating grin, needing some teeth whitening :eek:.

And the house the "Pot Head" lives in:

The Stoner Wheelchair Van:

This is how it is folks, like it or not. But if you ever want to hear my system, smoke some toasty buds, or just hang out in Birmingham, pm me ;). Maybe we'll get on the HF rig and talk around the world without wires.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
@ Gimpy Ric:

Your handicap has nothing to do with pot heads. It is accepted in that situation. But you can't come up with that situation to excuse every one else smoking pot without taking their responsabilities.

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Ric, you're the exception to the rule my friend. You obviously have a need, I'm not a doctor so I couldn't say if it's good or bad for you. As for others that aren't in need, there's no excuse. And for talking out of their butts as pointed out, read what Brown University has to say about short and long term use. And there's no political ax grinding on their site. I don't see any evidence of trolling, just everyone putting forth an opinion.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Ric,
You're not a typical pot head. Doing it for medical reasons is one thing. I gather that if you did not benefit medically from it you would still smoke though. Would you smoke as much or as often? Maybe less often but more?

Strat,
That "could have been" loser remark seems rather harsh. Let's say somebody's loser status is a direct result of pot. Don't you think something else was wrong with them before they got to the pot? As has been pointed out before, some people are prone to addictions. We ain't all wired up the same way.

Halon,
Picking up garbage is just work. We all do it. I know people who picked up garbage for work and they never even saw pot. But they did work. I think you're giving picking up garbage a bad name.

Mind altering substances have been around forever. People always have and always will experiment with them. An unfortunate portion of the population (5% is my guess) just don't fare well. When you get a kid who is willing to try pot even though he's not suppose to, chances are that he is willing to try a bunch of other drugs. Pot is not the problem there. The mindset of wanting to be F'ed up is the problem.

There is nothing wrong with letting a kid's mind and brain develop to physical maturity without the benefits of booze and drugs.

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Strat,
That "could have been" loser remark seems rather harsh. Let's say somebody's loser status is a direct result of pot. Don't you think something else was wrong with them before they got to the pot? As has been pointed out before, some people are prone to addictions. We ain't all wired up the same way.

That remark wasn't in any way, shape,thought or form directed at anyone here, this was in response to CB's remark of children being stoned versus drunk statement, a "normal" 10 year old exposed to marijuana will be a mess by the time he's 14-15 years old, you don't need to be a psychiatrist to figure this out, show me a 10,12,13 year old with self-control...now throw in a potentially habit forming (that denied by many in this camp) substance and you have a recipe for personal disaster, I have seen friends turn to losers from drug abuse, some lost homes, most lost families, many went and are in jail, so I speak from experience, this is not about Reefer Madness it's about making something illegal legal for the benefit of those that medically need it, there's a huge difference. Viagra is a controlled substance, yet you can buy it online easily. Medical pot is available in some states, if it's not in yours, petition to get it made legal.

POST SCRIPT: Ric, my remarks were NEVER directed at you personally, I've lost many a friend and seen the personal carnage brought about by addiciton.

Last edited:
Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Ric, I'm sorry that you have taken so much of this personally, but the fact of the matter is that your situation is unique, and notice that I for one anyway did not comment on medical uses for marijuana, as I have not ever found myself in a situation in life where marijuana would serve as a medical aid. I am commenting on the reckless casual throwing away of one's life in exchange for immersing themselves in a habit - be it pot, cocaine, alcohol, gambling, what have you. Addiction is addiction - PERIOD, and it ruins lives. I don't give three quarters of a rat's a$$ if marijuana is natural and you cannot die from smoking it - it has detrimental effects just the same (again, yourself excluded, as it is indeed apparent that there is the benefit you describe).

Leave "Reefer Madness" to our grandpas and grandmothers who still subscribe to that foolishness, if that's what some base their standpoints on so be it - I base mine on fact, and personal experience. The ratio of successful friends I have had who use drugs regularly (pot) to those who haven't made jack s**t of themselves is very thin. I have lost friends to other, more severe drugs. I have had friends who have become perpetually "stoned", and I don't see how they will ever manage to come back from it. It takes them on the average fifteen seconds to answer a very simple question. My lawyer friend? He quit - says he can't keep up with the demands of his job if he smokes pot regularly.

And no, I'm not meaning to offend anyone who picks up garbage for a living - hell I have had some heinous jobs in my life. I was making a point, half in jest, but I've not been fully drawn into the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis