PS3 dts cd music playback settings

Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis

Enthusiast
What settings do i have to do to get dts cd's work on my PS3 connected via tosslink to an Onkyo505e and 5.1 speaker sistem?
Please go easy on me...i'm a noob ... :D
Also please talk to me like i'm a four years old (meaning that i humbly request for a step by step directions "go to the xxx settings and there you'll find xxx ")
THANK YOU MUCH !!!

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
With C.D's i am not sure you can play the multichannel format DTS, i know for a fact you can play pro logicII with C.D's and other pro logic formats. I think you can only play DTS sound through DVD's...I am not 100% sure so maybe someone can clarify this!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
What settings do you currently have? Getting DTS to work can be a pain because there are a few settings that affect it. At the very least, you have to have it set to DTS: on and digital has to be set to bitstream rather than PCM; both should be in the optical digital setup screens.

Semper Fidelis

Semper Fidelis

Enthusiast
What settings do you currently have? Getting DTS to work can be a pain because there are a few settings that affect it. At the very least, you have to have it set to DTS: on and digital has to be set to bitstream rather than PCM; both should be in the optical digital setup screens.
My currently settings are:
-BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital) => Bitstream
-Audio CD Output Frequency => 44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz
-Bitmapping => Type 1
-Audio Output Settings => Digital Out (Optical) => I didn't select anything as audio output formats because i want to let the receiver deal with the decoding issue.
That is all ...
P.S. I have to mention that dts cd used to work a while ago but all of a sudden all that has gone ...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Did you recently install an update to the system? I had the same thing happen when I installed 2.00 or 2.01 - some audio option changed and it took me a while to figure it out. I will have to take a look at my system when I get home later and let you know what the settings are. I have a few DTS-CDs to try to make sure it works.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to say, I tried this out a few times and I could not get a DTS-CD to work. DTS DVDs work fine, but DTS-CDs are a slightly different animal.

Griffy

Griffy

Audiophyte
The PS3 will play DTS music cd's fine, if your AV amp can decode them, which shouldn't be much of an issue :cool:
Play the cd in the PS3

If you only get noise, try the following: Under "Audio Output Settings" select HDMI or Optical. When using HDMI, stipulate you want to use manual settings. Pretty sure you can edit the output for optical too. Deselect LPCM 2ch 88.2 and 176.4, leave only 44.1. Under "Music Settings" set Audio CD Output Frequency to "44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz".

Voila! Lovely DTS sound from a cd!

I've been playing Diana Krall DTS and it sounds fantastic

Griffy

Griffy

Audiophyte
PS

Don't get confused by the bitmapping option for cd's. Details for the different options are below.

Off - Have a Guess? Disable bitmapping

Type 1
Set to use a technique called “dithering” to reduce noise or distortion produced during audio output

Type 2
Set to use a technique called “noise shaping” to reduce noise in the audible range

Type 3
Set to use a special dithering technique developed specifically for the PS3 system to enhance audio playback

I'm told type 3 is about the most effective for most playback sources, but there's no harm in trying out all settings with a good source and see what your own ears think ;)

(When playing audio CDs, these functions are available only when audio is being output at a frequency of 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz. Set [Audio CD Output Frequency] under (Settings) > (Music Settings) to [44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz]. )

C

Consciousness

Enthusiast
Copy DTS CD to PS3?

Thanks Griffy for your wonderful knowledge, i would not have figured these convoluted settings in a million years! I am now listening to my favorite DTS CD (Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms). However, is there any way to copy this cd which is simply uncompressed wav files to the hard drive on the PS3?

The reason i'm asking is because i have been using a program called mkv2vob to encode HD movies (.mkv) in a format the PS3 recognizes and it saves them as a file with .mpg extension but retains the DTS or DD5.1 audio. When i select it from my media server software (Google Media Server) i can then either stream it or PRESS TRIANGLE and have the option to copy to the HDD. With audio cd's it only gives the .aac, .mp3 and atrac options for copying.

Any ideas? Again, thanks for all your help.:D

A

audiomadman

Audiophyte
Sorry to say, I tried this out a few times and I could not get a DTS-CD to work. DTS DVDs work fine, but DTS-CDs are a slightly different animal.
I didn't know you could play DTS on CDs. You learn something everyday!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I didn't know you could play DTS on CDs. You learn something everyday!
They are special discs. They are CDs, but you need a player that can pass the digital stream to the receiver for them to work. You can't just play it on any CD player in other words, but any DVD player that is DTS capable will play them or a CD player with digital out.

H

Hithappens

Audiophyte
Thanks guys

Someone just handed me Hell Freezes Over DTS. I thought cool I'll bet the PS3 will decode it. Popped it in, got the white noise, bummed out, read Griffy's post and hello Seven Bridges Road!!!

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Someone just handed me Hell Freezes Over DTS. I thought cool I'll bet the PS3 will decode it. Popped it in, got the white noise, bummed out, read Griffy's post and hello Seven Bridges Road!!!
Excellent! I'm glad that you found what you were looking for, and thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Welcome to the forum, btw!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Excellent! I'm glad that you found what you were looking for, and thanks for taking the time to let us know.

Welcome to the forum, btw!
Finally got around to trying this and it fixed it for me too. It was the "44.1/88.2/176.4 kHz" setting specifically that if not set, will prevent these discs from playing.

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
That's great that the DTS-CD can play, but has anyone successfully got a DTS-encoded WAV file to stream on their PS3? I have a bunch of these files and none will play while being streamed. They need to be burned to disc.

john72953

john72953

Full Audioholic
PS

Don't get confused by the bitmapping option for cd's. Details for the different options are below.

Off - Have a Guess? Disable bitmapping

Type 1
Set to use a technique called “dithering” to reduce noise or distortion produced during audio output

Type 2
Set to use a technique called “noise shaping” to reduce noise in the audible range

Type 3
Set to use a special dithering technique developed specifically for the PS3 system to enhance audio playback

I'm told type 3 is about the most effective for most playback sources, but there's no harm in trying out all settings with a good source and see what your own ears think ;)

(When playing audio CDs, these functions are available only when audio is being output at a frequency of 88.2 kHz or 176.4 kHz. Set [Audio CD Output Frequency] under (Settings) > (Music Settings) to [44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz]. )
I was about to ask this question on the various types of bitmapping options for the PS3. Your reply above has answered it! Thanks.

John

C

CRAW

Audiophyte
That's great that the DTS-CD can play, but has anyone successfully got a DTS-encoded WAV file to stream on their PS3? I have a bunch of these files and none will play while being streamed. They need to be burned to disc.
Sorry to dig up this older thread with my first post, but does one have to convert the .dts files to WAV format before burning to a disc for the PS3, or can I simply burn the .dts files to the disc and play it on the PS3?

Thanks a million in advance. After countless hours of searching the internet for this topic I was lead here and I'm tickled pink!

:)

N

Nigelwyn

Audiophyte
Thanks to Griffy. Having tried for 2 days mucking around with the settings I put in yours and it worked. Very pleased.

G

Gov

Senior Audioholic
My turn to dig up this thread. Great info here!! Thanks! Has any one tried the type 3 bitmapping setting on their PS3? Any difference from type 1?

Also, is it even necessary to "Deselect LPCM 2ch 88.2 and 176.4" for DTS-CD playback as long as you change the music setting to 44.1 / 88.2 / 176.4 kHz?

Thanks

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis