DVR Issue - LOUD crackling/popping noise

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Alright - I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem. Short of taking my cable box back (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) and getting another one, I thought I would toss this out to the community.

I'm running my cable box via component cable through my Yamaha V361 receiver, and from there to the TV, all via 480i setting from the SA set top box (older tube TV with component video input).

Watching live TV there is no problem. It's a DVR unit, so I record plenty of programs here and there. The issue is, when I am watching a recorded program, having the luxury to of course, fast forward, rewind, pause, etc., I have been getting these god awful popping/scratching sounds when I press 'Play' from either pause or FF or RW function.

These are very loud and possibly damaging to my speakers I fear. My only solution thus far (which is a PITA), has been to hit the 'Mute' button before pressing play, and after the show is running again, un-mute it and all is good.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this - oh, and the audio is connected as digital optical from the set top box to the receiver.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
Alright - I wonder if anyone else has experienced this problem. Short of taking my cable box back (Scientific Atlanta 8300HD) and getting another one, I thought I would toss this out to the community.

I'm running my cable box via component cable through my Yamaha V361 receiver, and from there to the TV, all via 480i setting from the SA set top box (older tube TV with component video input).

Watching live TV there is no problem. It's a DVR unit, so I record plenty of programs here and there. The issue is, when I am watching a recorded program, having the luxury to of course, fast forward, rewind, pause, etc., I have been getting these god awful popping/scratching sounds when I press 'Play' from either pause or FF or RW function.

These are very loud and possibly damaging to my speakers I fear. My only solution thus far (which is a PITA), has been to hit the 'Mute' button before pressing play, and after the show is running again, un-mute it and all is good.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this - oh, and the audio is connected as digital optical from the set top box to the receiver.
Cable boxes are really strange creatures. I really don't understand why this one piece of equipment cannot be correctly manufactured. I've had so many problems (including the one you described) over the years- particularly with DVR boxes. At one point I traded in 3 boxes in a 6 week period b/c they weren't working correctly.

My current box likes to randomly reset itself twice a week at 5 am. No rhyme or reason- just resets itself.

As for your issue- I'd take the thing back and have it replaced. I would also respectfully request (read: politely demand :)) a brand new box if possible. These things get recycled and beaten up so badly and the techs have no idea how to refurbish them properly. The only reason I keep my poltergeist-infested box is b/c it's brand new (actually saw the guy take it out of the factory-sealed packaging) and the only problem it has is the random resetting.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, that's what I figured. Thanks Adam. Unfortunately, unlike every other piece of A/V equipment one can incorporate into his/her system, we are stuck with whatever POS the local provider happens to carry and have no ability to pick and choose - what is often a fairly critical piece of the puzzle for some. I've often heard many negative things WRT Scientific Atlanta, and my old non-HD box never gave me grief at all, so I figured maybe just some unlucky customers.

I've got to go up to the center anyway and obtain a second box for the bedroom, so might as well take this one out and try and swap it. Problem with that is, like you - I fear that I might bring home more problems with another unit, maybe problems even worse than what I have now. :(

Hi Ho

Hi Ho

Audioholic Samurai
I don't get why cable providers seem to do so poorly with hardware. They all seem to suck! Comcast in this area is terrible. Their boxes are full of bugs and fail often. Dish Network has it right. Their hardware is top notch. Why can't cable companies figure this out?

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I don't get why cable providers seem to do so poorly with hardware. They all seem to suck! Comcast in this area is terrible. Their boxes are full of bugs and fail often. Dish Network has it right. Their hardware is top notch. Why can't cable companies figure this out?
The biggest problem with cable companies is the recycling of hardware. My understanding with dish network and directTv is that you buy the receiver new and then it's yours to keep as long as you want. With a cable box you're lucky if you're only the 2nd or 3rd person to have had that box. These boxes are poor quality to start with, and then just get repeatedly passed around among multiple users.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis