Supreme Court & Second Amendment

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
When her ideals are so beyond the social norm of our society kook becomes a very fitting title.
Many current mainstream ideas were way beyond the social norm of ancient times. To give one example, slavery was considered normal in many societies long ago. By your standards, those who lived in ancient societies who thought slavery was wrong were "kooks". Disagreeing with one's society does not make one wrong.

If you want a modern example, in Saudi Arabia, Christianity is so far from the social norm, it is illegal to preach it. So, by your criteria, Christians in Saudi Arabia are kooks, too.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In London, the police don't carry guns. I never understood how that was supposed to work.:confused:
Generally speaking, police only need guns when criminals have them. In the U.S., criminals, if they want them, have guns, so it is absolutely necessary for police in the U.S. to have guns. In the UK, guns are relatively rare, so the police don't generally need guns. They do, of course, have special forces that have guns, and they are dispatched when dealing with armed criminals.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Generally speaking, police only need guns when criminals have them. In the U.S., criminals, if they want them, have guns, so it is absolutely necessary for police in the U.S. to have guns. In the UK, guns are relatively rare, so the police don't generally need guns. They do, of course, have special forces that have guns, and they are dispatched when dealing with armed criminals.
Yep. Sometime around 1776 the Brits learned that it was unwise to let their citizens carry firearms! ;)

Matt34

Matt34

Many current mainstream ideas were way beyond the social norm of ancient times. To give one example, slavery was considered normal in many societies long ago. By your standards, those who lived in ancient societies who thought slavery was wrong were "kooks". Disagreeing with one's society does not make one wrong.

If you want a modern example, in Saudi Arabia, Christianity is so far from the social norm, it is illegal to preach it. So, by your criteria, Christians in Saudi Arabia are kooks, too.
I fully understand that ideals change over periods of time and vary from culture to culture. No where did I refer that wasn't the case hence why I said "our society."

For example, another group of people I consider kooks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Actually in Saudi Arabia, Christians are not seen as kooks, on the contrary they're seen as dangerous, kooks are dismissed, those that say your religion is not the way are considered subversive, to be killed or at least tortured and jailed.

As for the other group that Matt pointed out: those aren't Christians, they might call themselves that, but I can tell you this: biblically speaking they're not. When you don't follow the tenets of what you say you believe I think the proper term for that is hypocrite and I'm not saying we're perfect, but if you continue in an action that brings ill repute to you and what you claim is your faith you're acting in a un-Christian manner. Christianity is defined by what's written in our doctrine, not a bunch of self-professed believers doing in public what is shameful, following a self-styled leader that brings ill repute to what we believe.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
So how do they prevent criminals from obtaining guns in the UK? It sounds like they might be onto something worth emulating here. A society in which only a few special forces have guns sounds much more pleasant than one in which practically everybody does. At least they don't have to deal with drive-by shootings, road-rage shootings,or maniacs blasting away in crowds (another of those today, and in a hospital besides!:()

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
So how do they prevent criminals from obtaining guns in the UK? It sounds like they might be onto something worth emulating here. A society in which only a few special forces have guns sounds much more pleasant than one in which practically everybody does. At least they don't have to deal with drive-by shootings, road-rage shootings,or maniacs blasting away in crowds (another of those today, and in a hospital besides!:()
I think that's a reflection on our society in general and has nothing to do with whether guns are part of the culture or not. We are a society of maniacs to begin with.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think that's a reflection on our society in general and has nothing to do with whether guns are part of the culture or not. We are a society of maniacs to begin with.
Hey, it could be worse. We could be French :D.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
I fully understand that ideals change over periods of time and vary from culture to culture. No where did I refer that wasn't the case hence why I said "our society."

For example, another group of people I consider kooks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westboro_Baptist_Church
Just to be clear about your earlier post: Are you saying that anyone who is very out of step with U.S. society, as it is in 2008, is a kook?

Incidentally, I could have taken an alternative tack, and mentioned the fact that there are a lot of U.S. citizens who would like guns strongly controlled. But what I am interested in is getting at the issue of your criteria for being a "kook", and so I did not mention this previously.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
If you will pardon the homely expression, I think the barn door has been left open too long already for that to be possible any time soon. There are too many guns in the U.S. to effectively get rid of them in the near future, even if people were generally inclined to do that. In the U.K., they were, I believe, never that common, so they did not have to get rid of them, as one gets rid of what is there, not what is not there. In the U.S., guns were used for taking land from the natives, so there were a lot of them from before the U.S. became the U.S. And they have never gone away or out of style, so to speak, so people have continuously upgraded.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
They're French.
So what's the deal with anti-French bigotry? Is that considered okay here, while it is not okay to be anti-black or anti-Jewish? Or is it okay here to be anti-anyone, or, to quote Gunnery Sergeant Hartman from Full Metal Jacket:

There is no racial bigotry here. I do not look down on *****************. Here you are all equally worthless.

Last edited by a moderator:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
So what's the deal with anti-French bigotry? Is that considered okay here, while it is not okay to be anti-black or anti-Jewish? Or is it okay here to be anti-anyone, or, to quote Gunnery Sergeant Hartman from Full Metal Jacket:
It's ok to be whatever you want.

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Just thought I'd stir the pot some more on this one...

Shooting in Butte , Montana
Shotgun preteen vs. illegal alien Home Invaders :

Butte, Montana November 5, 2007

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12
gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee crouch
aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical
help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to
the chest.

Ever wonder why good stuff never makes NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, or ABC news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and
herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants.......and she wins, she is still alive.

Now that is Gun Control !

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Just thought I'd stir the pot some more on this one...

Shooting in Butte , Montana
Shotgun preteen vs. illegal alien Home Invaders :

Butte, Montana November 5, 2007

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12
gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee crouch
aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical
help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to
the chest.

Ever wonder why good stuff never makes NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, or ABC news........an 11 year old girl, properly trained, defended her home, and
herself......against two murderous, illegal immigrants.......and she wins, she is still alive.

Now that is Gun Control !

And This has made my day!:) Good for her! I'd like to hear what the anti-gunners have to say.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis