Onkyo Temperature Monitor

B

brendy

Audioholic
Tried it on my SR503 and it showed temp in degrees celsius and farenheit. :) showed software version when ya held display and hit power, then ya had to hit tone for it tone quickly to show temp.
The temp part most work for only xx3 series and newer :(

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
My room temperture is about 25 degrees celcius on average, dont know what that is in farinheight, im in New zealand. Today i had my reciever on 30 ( about half) on the volume for an hour and it reached 55 degrees celcius/ 125 degrees farenheight. i have had it louder than this for alot longer ( like 4 hours ) and it has never thermal cut out. ive emailed onkyo to see if they will tell me what the normal operating temperture is. :) i dont really class it as a problem because it sounds great even when it is hot.:D

B

BG3

Audioholic
Turn on the unit. Press the display button and while holding it down, press the power button once. Release the display button and then hit the tone button once. It will bring up the temp on the display and you can monitor it and see how high it goes.

Courtesy of "johnbe" at AVS. He says his tops out at 114 F. I have yet to try it, but definitely will this weekend.
This works on the Onkyo TX-NR905. Though, not sure I completely understand the display. Here's what it looks like

T: 46/ 42FAN:----
V: 0.00 SEC:H

So, I'm guessing the temp is in celcius. There are no fans, just a massive heat sink that runs the width. Not sure what the rest means.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Tried it on my SR503 and it showed temp in degrees celsius and farenheit. :) showed software version when ya held display and hit power, then ya had to hit tone for it tone quickly to show temp.
Ah, perhaps operator technique is needed here to get the right displays:D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
This works on the Onkyo TX-NR905. Though, not sure I completely understand the display. Here's what it looks like

So, I'm guessing the temp is in celcius. There are no fans, just a massive heat sink that runs the width. Not sure what the rest means.
Call them, or send an email to them and come back.
If you are going to write them, ask about older models too, if these procedures are standard on this brand.:D

B

BG3

Audioholic

I just ran it @ -18db for 1hr watching the last half of Mr. & Mrs. Smith in DTS & THX Ultra2 Cinema mode for 7.1 using the PS3 as the DVD player and the closet door shut.

T: 60/ 55FAN:----

If there's heat to be had, this method will surely create it. There's plenty of space between all the components, 4-6" but, solutions for venting the closet are being researched.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
Update, today i ran my unit at about half way for about an hour and a half and it reached 73 degrees celcius/ 163 degrees fahrenheit. i then put the small cpu fan i use to draw heay off it back on and it went down to 63 degrees celcius / 145 degrees fahrenheit and stayed there. :) so i suppose it worth havin one on. i had a larger fan on but it was to loud.

R

Rike255

Audiophyte
This works on my 805, but does anyone know what the two temperature measurements mean?

It shows this:
T: 24/ 25FAN:-

What do each of the numbers/letter mean?

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
Most receivers have recommended ...

ambient operating temperature range of -5° C (23° F) to +50° C (122° F).

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
You sure about that Midcow? Link? 23' is 9' below freezing...I wouldn't subject my receiver to that kind of an extreme. And I could fry an egg at 122'. That's HOT for any equipment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
those were minimum and maximum temperature.

You sure about that Midcow? Link? 23' is 9' below freezing...I wouldn't subject my receiver to that kind of an extreme. And I could fry an egg at 122'. That's HOT for any equipment.
YES, those are minimums and maximums; some limit lower to 0° C (32° F).

I wouldn't operate at the extremes either, but I would would be concerned if I were running at 45.6° C (114° F).

The upper temperature maximum is typically the one that should concern people. This can happen if the AVR is in an enclosed cabinet or has insufficient air circulation or clearance. Bascially, anything over 40.6 C (105° F) as a contiuous, long-term operating temperature should be of concern.

As for frying eggs, they can also damage a receiver and I would recommend a skillet. By the way, I am also a gourmet cook of sorts. Go Hasty Bake!

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
YES, those are minimums and maximums; some limit lower to 0° C (32° F).

I wouldn't operate at the extremes either, but I would would be concerned if I were running at 45.6° C (114° F).

The upper temperature maximum is typically the one that should concern people. This can happen if the AVR is in an enclosed cabinet or has insufficient air circulation or clearance. Bascially, anything over 40.6 C (105° F) as a contiuous, long-term operating temperature should be of concern.

As for frying eggs, they can also damage a receiver and I would recommend a skillet. By the way, I am also a gourmet cook of sorts. Go Hasty Bake!
Link? For both operating temps and Hasty Bake. :p

Well, now that we've established that neither you nor I will operate our equipment at 9' below freezing, can we also suggest to all to refrain from doing so? Neither frost nor egg yolk is good for circuitry. :)

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
The way that is worded it sounds like it is the recommended temperature of the room it is operating in because that would be the 'ambient' temperature. Actually it's probably the operating range of the receiver itself.

I keep my house at 75 degrees F pretty much year round. If I want to feel 122F I just wait until July and then walk outside. :) [Actually it rarely gets hotter than 109F here but even that is pretty hard to deal with for more than a short period of time.]

R

Rike255

Audiophyte
^I think he did mean ambient temperature. At least that's the vibe I got from reading his next posts. He's talking about how to get that kind of temperature is by enclosing the receiver, or blocking vents. That would effectively raise the "ambient" temperature around the receiver.

Midcow can you confirm what you meant?

A

aarond

Full Audioholic
most non cpu electronics have thermal switches to shut down equipment when heat-sinks reach 80c(176f) to protect semiconductors. heat outside the case is not a bad thing, the heat sinks are designed to move the heat "up and out" away from the electronics. they use convection cooling where cool air is drawn in from the sides across the heat sinks and out the top. the more clearance above the better the cooling. if i remember correctly onkyo recommends 7" clearance above the 805. when the clearance is not sufficient its the ambient air temp will continue to rise until it loses the ability to cool the electronics. when i had my denon on an open shelf it never got very warm. when i moved it inside a cabinet i could really notice how much heat it was actually producing. i opened holes in the back of the cabinet at the top and bottom for air flow and have never had a problem.

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
AVR temperature

^I think he did mean ambient temperature. At least that's the vibe I got from reading his next posts. He's talking about how to get that kind of temperature is by enclosing the receiver, or blocking vents. That would effectively raise the "ambient" temperature around the receiver.

Midcow can you confirm what you meant?
Sorry for any confusion, the ambient temperature I am talking about is the temperature measurement immediately outside the AVR, not the room temperature in general.

R

Rike255

Audiophyte
Right, the "ambient" temperature referring to the air around the receiver. You don't mean the internal temperature of, say, the heat sink though right?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis