Best male singing voice ever...who has it?!

K

Krafty1

Audiophyte
Marvin Gaye (Sexual Healing, Let's Get It On...enough said)
Nat King Cole
James Taylor
Love listening to Dave Matthews vocal acrobatics

James Hetfield (very powerful voice)
Steven Tyler

Best voice ever though not in the genre selection:
Pavarotti....and he makes it look effortless.

Krafty1

Rip Van Woofer

Rip Van Woofer

Audioholic General
From the classical ranks:

Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau
Enrico Caruso (well, duh!)
Luciano Pavarotti
Ben Heppner
Bryn Terfel (sp?)

...and, on a good day in the shower, mine! ;)

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Freddie Mercury
Joe Lynn Turner
Jon Butcher (Maybe not the most talented but most recognizable)
Jimmy Jameson (Yeah that guy from Survivor) (The band not the TV show)

In that order- today anyway

Josh Grobin? Wow, I don't think so.

J

jzac

Audioholic
Good ones...

Well, almost everyone in this list are absolutely superb. Josh Groban won't make it in the list for either Rock or R&B categories... it will be for easy listening, but man, can he sing good! Talk about a well trained voice...phew! That other stunning voice for opera-style is Andrea Brocelli. WOW is all I say for him.

What about some old' timers like Barry White and Teddy Pendergrass for R&B? I'm sure the women will say a big YEAH! :D Maxell is another cool voice. Where the heck did he disappear after 1998? :( Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 is another cool dude voice.

annunaki

annunaki

I see what some deem as rock others would classify as "easy listening". :) I would say my vote(s) go for Freddie Mercury because of his range, Maynard James Keenan from Tool for range/uniqueness, and Brandon Boyd from Incubus, just great all around talent (vocally).

I see Mr. Babcock is sticking to his "heavy" roots with his vote for Halford from Judas Priest. :D :p

C

Colonel_Tomb

Audioholic Intern
flyv65 said:
You young whippersnapper! Actually, my favorite Van Morrison stuff was popular, but never hit it big (you know, Tupelo Honey, Into the Mystic- the good stuff that *didn't* go top 40).

Bryan...older and wiser...
LOL, that "Brown-Eyed Girl" comment wasn't even worthy of a response. I take it this guy never heard "Caravan" or "Saint Dominic's Preview" or "Dweller on the Threshold" or "The Healing Has Begun" or . . . well, good god, it's amazing how superficial people can be.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Colonel_Tomb said:
LOL, that "Brown-Eyed Girl" comment wasn't even worthy of a response. I take it this guy never heard "Caravan" or "Saint Dominic's Preview" or "Dweller on the Threshold" or "The Healing Has Begun" or . . . well, good god, it's amazing how superficial people can be.
I'm sorry I guess I just define "best ever" as something nobody else can do. every bar band on the planet has a version of "Brown Eyed Girl" ready to roll but you don't see anyone trying Journey's "Faithfully", Bob Seger's "Main Street", Def Leppard's "Two Steps Behind", or "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues..

why not ? because you don't attempt what you cannot do or would be embarassed to even try.

If Guido up the street can do Van Morrison, it's hard to call him anything other than good.

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
Leprkon said:
If Guido up the street can do Van Morrison, it's hard to call him anything other than good.
Ahh, regarding Brown Eyed Girl, I could say imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. But, IMO, that song is not necessarily what defines Morrison as a vocalist, (though consider as popular as it still is, it charted over 35 years ago). I would lean towards such songs as Jackie Wilson Said, Domino, Tupelo Honey, Moondance, Have I Told You Lately, even Gloria as better examples of his vocal triumphs. All one has to do is to consider popular songs over the last 40 years or so to see what kind of vocal influence Van Morrison has had on popular music. Very few vocalists, from any era, can lay out such a claim.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

annunaki said:
I see what some deem as rock others would classify as "easy listening". :) I would say my vote(s) go for Freddie Mercury because of his range, Maynard James Keenan from Tool for range/uniqueness, and Brandon Boyd from Incubus, just great all around talent (vocally).

I see Mr. Babcock is sticking to his "heavy" roots with his vote for Halford from Judas Priest. :D :p
Busted!:D Halford can really sing though, and especially in the early days, Priest had a few ballads. Songs like Before the Dawn, Last Rose of Summer, and their cover of Diamonds and Rust are a good showcase for his voice.

I agree with including Freddie Mercury. He was truly one of the greats. I read that Queen is reforming with Paul Rodgers of Bad Company as the vocalist! :eek: :confused: I like him, but it'll be hard to fill Freddie's shoes.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Rob Babcock said:
I agree with including Freddie Mercury. He was truly one of the greats. I read that Queen is reforming with Paul Rodgers of Bad Company as the vocalist! :eek: :confused: I like him, but it'll be hard to fill Freddie's shoes.
maybe Paul won't fill his shoes, but I bet it will still sound really good. I thought "Somebody to Love" the song they did with George Michael :eek: actually sounded decent. If Queen can make ex-Wham-o listenable, imagine when they start with a real rock icon ! :D

I wonder if Paul would move to rhythm guitar, rather than his normal bass... :confused:

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Rodgers also can play keyboard. I'm guessing that's the niche he'll be filling instrumentally.

I've been a huge Queen fan since my teens. I'm a bit hesitant to jump on the bandwagon of this new line-up, but I'm sure I'll be among the first in line to pick up the new release.

Any word on release dates?

Hawkeye said:
How about David Lee Roth...
I saw him live after Van Halen (can't remember how long after, but he was balding and Steve Vai was playing guitar). It was absurd. He had his backup band singling 80% of his songs (yes, not just the choruses) while he did jump-kicks and did his little girlie squeal. Lost all respect for him after that...

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
hawke said:
I saw him live after Van Halen (can't remember how long after, but he was balding and Steve Vai was playing guitar). It was absurd. He had his backup band singling 80% of his songs (yes, not just the choruses) while he did jump-kicks and did his little girlie squeal. Lost all respect for him after that...
Yes I would agree. I was referring to his early Van Halen days. Actually its reported he's taking classes to become an EMT, a noble cause indeed. Can you imagine needing an ambulance and HE shows up??? That in itself would probably put me into cardiac arrest. Certainly one of the more bizarre things I've heard lately.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,14392,00.html

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
Yes I would agree. I was referring to his early Van Halen days. Actually its reported he's taking classes to become an EMT, a noble cause indeed. Can you imagine needing an ambulance and HE shows up??? That in itself would probably put me into cardiac arrest. Certainly one of the more bizarre things I've heard lately.
I heard that some time back as well. For some reason I'm picturing him stumbling out of the van in a sequened spandex EMT jumpsuit singing "Just a Gigelo". Ick, I'll spend the rest of the day trying to get that image out of my head.

20to20K

Full Audioholic
I'm gonna get lambasted for this...

...but Micheal Jackson is a VERY skilled vocalist. I'm not crazy about
a lot of his music, but I can't deny his vocal talent. Others I enjoy
listening to are Peter Gabriel, Micheal McDonald, the lead singer of
Simply Red who's name escapes me, Hamish Stuart (AWB) and Philip
Bailey (EWF).

I'm not listing dead guys...dead guys can't sing!

Q

Quig

Audioholic Intern
Off the top of my head...

James Hetfield -Metallica
Eddie Vedder -Pearl Jam
Bob Seger
Van Morrison

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
20to20K said:
...but Micheal Jackson is a VERY skilled vocalist. I'm not crazy about
a lot of his music, but I can't deny his vocal talent. Others I enjoy
listening to are Peter Gabriel, Micheal McDonald, the lead singer of
Simply Red who's name escapes me, Hamish Stuart (AWB) and Philip
Bailey (EWF).

I'm not listing dead guys...dead guys can't sing!

Yes, but it is the dead guys that I remember the most, and besides, I am sure they are singing somewhere (or at least I hope they are singing somewhere).

J

JJNab

Audioholic Intern
Not enough votes for David Bowie here, in my opinion. Not to degrade the other choices, especially Steve Tyler (NOT Perry!) and Van Morrison. Just my $0.02. JJ

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis