My class's rocket launch (pictures included)

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
One of my classes focuses on building a rocket and flying it. We compete against other schools for $5k each year. We won last year.

This weekend we reached 6000ft. We're only required to reach 1 mile (5280 ft). We missed our landing target by only 10ft. Not bad for a first launch. :D

FWIW, the only "systems" on this particular launch were avionics and recovery. We did launch both a subscale & fullscale, but the full scale is cooler to view pictures of.

Next weekend we're hoping to have everything ready to go: payload, GPS, cameras, etc.

I'll try to post more photos of that.

Last edited:
Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
I think this is a fabulously cool hobby...and can get as expensive as audio! :eek:

Nice shots. Thanks for sharing.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
Very Interesting!!!!

Please tell me more about the technology behind this?

Regards

-Harald

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
damn! landing target? you have guidance thingies on these? what has happened to todays 'toys'? :) during my time, rockets fly up never to be seen again.

10 feet? nothing a nuclear warhead can't solve. kidding of course.

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Forgot to mention earlier that this thing was traveling at about 750 ft/s, ~511mph. :eek:

I'm actually in charge of the avionics. That covers everything from tracking/data recording/gps/video/paylaod deployment. :)

Here's a link to our website (this is from last year's group, ours is still in the works).
http://www.eng.uah.edu/~sli/

Oh, those aren't pics I took. I didn't bring my camera, but will next time.

annunaki

annunaki

Forgot to mention earlier that this thing was traveling at about 750 ft/s, ~511mph. :eek:

I'm actually in charge of the avionics. That covers everything from tracking/data recording/gps/video/paylaod deployment. :)

Here's a link to our website (this is from last year's group, ours is still in the works).
http://www.eng.uah.edu/~sli/

Oh, those aren't pics I took. I didn't bring my camera, but will next time.

Looks like another one of those things I would love to dabble in if I had the time. :)

What is the thrust-to-weight ratio on one of those things? Any estimates as to how long it takes to reach maximum velocity?

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
That looks like so much fun, I feel silly for getting a degree in history instead of aeronautics, not that I could get accepted to an aeronautics program in the first place. How's your micro spy drone project coming along?

ErinH

ErinH

Audioholic General
Looks like another one of those things I would love to dabble in if I had the time. :)

What is the thrust-to-weight ratio on one of those things? Any estimates as to how long it takes to reach maximum velocity?
I'd have to check the data. I haven't gotten my hands on it yet.

How's your micro spy drone project coming along?
pretty good so far. We just gave our 2nd presentation to the Army and other "customers". I think we're way ahead of the other groups, but that's because we got a secret weapon.... shhhhh. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis