Wife is looking for a new camera

Matt34

Matt34

Currently at the top of her list is a Nikon D40. She is looking for something easy to use but also takes better pictures than my Nikon coolpix 5600 and her Canon Powershot S50.

We think we found a real good price for the D40 here....($298 shipped)

http://www.cameraaddict.com/viewproduct.aspx?ID=3616605&l=ShopCartUSA

I know we have some photographers here so what's your opinion on this camera and the price?

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Nikon DSLRs are nice and can take you a long way if you buy the right lenses. At my home we have 3 Canons: SD400 Elph (wife), Powershot S45 (mine), and Rebel XT (vacation camera or portraits). We bought the SLR because we got a good deal on the point and shoots after trying out all other brands and found Canon to be the best. You would think of Nikon to make good point and shoots seeing how their DSLRs are superb but that is not the case.

My only advice would be that if you buy the Nikon get ready to stick with Nikon forever since you can only use Nikon lenses on Nikon cameras. Tamron makes some very good inexpensive lenses for Nikons and Canon cameras so they are worth you check out. We have 3 lenses other than the stock lens: 300mm telephoto lens, 28-75mm lens, and a macro lens. So far we haven't encountered a situation where none of those three lens will work. Also when you buy lenses make sure they have either Image Stabilization or some sort of shake compensation as motion blur with SLRs can be a pain because of the fast shutter. But honestly you absolutely cannot go wrong with Nikon and for that price that camera is a keeper. If you want to know more about some good starter lenses let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

A starter came with a good lens will take you a lot farther than a more expensive camera with a so-so lens so you should not skimp on that.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Don't commit to any brand without investigating all your options. I don't know how you settled on the Nikon D40 but be sure to check out the Canon Rebels, Pentax K100 (or upcoming K200), etc. You want to make sure the camera feels right in your hands, and that the interface suits you and your wife.

Lens wise, Nikon and Canon have the most complete lineup of modern lenses, prices vary though and often Nikon tends to be a bit pricier for some things but at the lower and consumer end I don't think the differences are all that big. Pentax makes clever design decisions with regard to interface and features that other cameras don't quite match, but to day their modern lens catalog is more limited (they have decades of lenses compatible with their DSLRs though).

If you ever get in to it and want to find other lenses to use on the D40, it will not AF with lenses that lack AF-S; their silent, high speed in lens focusing motors. So that rules out a lot of older (and some current) lenses that might be more affordable. The reason for this is nikon left the focusing drive motor out of the D40 body which some lenses require.

Also I don't know anything about cameraaddict, but that price is low, too low. If it's too good to be true it usually is. Check them out on resellerratings or ask on a photo forum and you might get more feedback on them. If I've never heard of it though, I'd be very hesistant to buy from it IMO. The best and safest places to shop are places like Amazon.com, Bhphoto.com, adorama.com, keh.com, calumet, keh and there are some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about image stabilization in lenses. It's nice but not needed, and a faster lens would usually pay off more than a slow lens with some kind of stabilization. Nikon and Canon in particular are putting stabilization in a lot of their lenses now though, so it's easier to get affordably.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
All the Tamron Nikon lenses have the focusing motors in them now. I have also tried lots of lenses and found that the ones made by the camera manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony) tend to more expensive and still lack features when compared to third party manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
All the Tamron Nikon lenses have the focusing motors in them now. I have also tried lots of lenses and found that the ones made by the camera manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Sony) tend to more expensive and still lack features when compared to third party manufacturers like Sigma and Tamron.
Depends on what features you're talking about. The third party lenses do tend to be a great deal, and often they're quite good performers. If you're really budget conscious third party is the way to go.

But if you want faster/higher older quality stuff used, you have plenty of lenses you can buy from Nikon and it will be less than anyones modern equivalent usually, it just won't focus. I believe some may not meter correctly either but I don't have a D40 and I'm a bit fuzzy on those details.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
Depends on what features you're talking about. The third party lenses do tend to be a great deal, and often they're quite good performers. If you're really budget conscious third party is the way to go.

But if you want faster/higher older quality stuff used, you have plenty of lenses you can buy from Nikon and it will be less than anyones modern equivalent usually, it just won't focus. I believe some may not meter correctly either but I don't have a D40 and I'm a bit fuzzy on those details.
What SLR do you have?

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I currently shoot with a Canon 1D MK II I've had for just over 3 years now.

My words about looking at future upgrade opportunities are words of caution. Some people buy a digital SLR but then find they want to move forward in to it as a more serious hobby. It's good to make sure you make as informed a decision as you can when buying your first one, even if you don't expect to go anywhere with it, since if you change your mind in 6 months or 2 years it can cause you a lot of headaches.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
I currently shoot with a Canon 1D MK II I've had for just over 3 years now.

My words about looking at future upgrade opportunities are words of caution. Some people buy a digital SLR but then find they want to move forward in to it as a more serious hobby. It's good to make sure you make as informed a decision as you can when buying your first one, even if you don't expect to go anywhere with it, since if you change your mind in 6 months or 2 years it can cause you a lot of headaches.
Wow nice camera. We are thinking of upgrading as well because I am tired of the light plastic body of the Rebels and want something more solid like the 40D. We are Canon fans so we really don't see ourselves owning anything but Canon.

Matt34

Matt34

Nikon DSLRs are nice and can take you a long way if you buy the right lenses. At my home we have 3 Canons: SD400 Elph (wife), Powershot S45 (mine), and Rebel XT (vacation camera or portraits). We bought the SLR because we got a good deal on the point and shoots after trying out all other brands and found Canon to be the best. You would think of Nikon to make good point and shoots seeing how their DSLRs are superb but that is not the case.

My only advice would be that if you buy the Nikon get ready to stick with Nikon forever since you can only use Nikon lenses on Nikon cameras. Tamron makes some very good inexpensive lenses for Nikons and Canon cameras so they are worth you check out. We have 3 lenses other than the stock lens: 300mm telephoto lens, 28-75mm lens, and a macro lens. So far we haven't encountered a situation where none of those three lens will work. Also when you buy lenses make sure they have either Image Stabilization or some sort of shake compensation as motion blur with SLRs can be a pain because of the fast shutter. But honestly you absolutely cannot go wrong with Nikon and for that price that camera is a keeper. If you want to know more about some good starter lenses let me know and I can point you in the right direction.

A starter came with a good lens will take you a lot farther than a more expensive camera with a so-so lens so you should not skimp on that.
Don't commit to any brand without investigating all your options. I don't know how you settled on the Nikon D40 but be sure to check out the Canon Rebels, Pentax K100 (or upcoming K200), etc. You want to make sure the camera feels right in your hands, and that the interface suits you and your wife.

Lens wise, Nikon and Canon have the most complete lineup of modern lenses, prices vary though and often Nikon tends to be a bit pricier for some things but at the lower and consumer end I don't think the differences are all that big. Pentax makes clever design decisions with regard to interface and features that other cameras don't quite match, but to day their modern lens catalog is more limited (they have decades of lenses compatible with their DSLRs though).

If you ever get in to it and want to find other lenses to use on the D40, it will not AF with lenses that lack AF-S; their silent, high speed in lens focusing motors. So that rules out a lot of older (and some current) lenses that might be more affordable. The reason for this is nikon left the focusing drive motor out of the D40 body which some lenses require.

Also I don't know anything about cameraaddict, but that price is low, too low. If it's too good to be true it usually is. Check them out on resellerratings or ask on a photo forum and you might get more feedback on them. If I've never heard of it though, I'd be very hesistant to buy from it IMO. The best and safest places to shop are places like Amazon.com, Bhphoto.com, adorama.com, keh.com, calumet, keh and there are some others I can't think of off the top of my head.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about image stabilization in lenses. It's nice but not needed, and a faster lens would usually pay off more than a slow lens with some kind of stabilization. Nikon and Canon in particular are putting stabilization in a lot of their lenses now though, so it's easier to get affordably.
Thanks for the responses you two. My wife was lead towards the Nikon because a co-worker is a part time photographer and that was what he recommended.

That site is lower than anyone else by $100+ so it did raise some flags with us. I'll have her read these comments when she gets home.

Matt

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Thanks for the responses you two. My wife was lead towards the Nikon because a co-worker is a part time photographer and that was what he recommended.
And someone else would recommend Pentax, and another Canon. Seriously, don't go off someone's suggestions alone. Unless being able to borrow the coworkers gear is a major factor to her (which for some people it is but I don't think it should be) then make sure you check out all the options in your price range. She may like how the Rebel or Pentax feels in her hands better, or one of those might be more intuitive to her, etc. That's way more important than what any other photographer uses or recommends.

Think of it like speakers, you can ask for suggestions and people will tell you what they listen to and how you should like it too, but without trying it you have no idea if it's really right for you.

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
Nikons are certainly good and I have only owned them in the past for 35mm, but I have an older Canon digital rebel and they are hard to beat. Canon's optics are top notch too.

majorloser

majorloser

There's Canon........then there's everybody else. :D

(Yes, there's camera fanboys too)

Matt34

Matt34

She will do her research and test them out.....she's not as impulsive as me.;)

P

penpitt

Audioholic
Many times places that are selling items at very low prices are selling gray market goods. They are legal to sell but if a warranty issue arises you may be SOL because the manufacturer will not honor it. I have used BHphotovideo for numerous transactions and have been quite satisfied with them. Their website will even tell you if it is USA manufacturer warranty or a gray market item.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
Many places do sell gray market items, but they should specify it clearly and that's still cheap, even for gray market. It's entirely possible it's like one of those many Brooklyn scam stores that will sell you the camera, then later ask you if you want the box, body cap, battery, etc for extra money.

The price really isn't low enough to make me really think it's one of those, but the point I'm making is there are a lot of people who will try to rip you off at these "stores." I'd be careful, if they're selling it that cheaply and not specifying it's gray market (aka international or not US and not USA warrantied).

I've heard of Canon honoring international warranties in the US, but there are no guarantees from them and I've not heard of other manufacturers do that.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
First thing first!! Beware of that cameraaddict.com store...please google it before you purchase from them. I'd buy from a reputable online store like b&h rather than other cheaper price places..for $100 it is not worth the much higher risk.

I tried both Canon XTi and Nikon D80, both are great camera. Let me just put it out like this:
1. Canon's shutter release is harder to reach for me and make my finger tired after a few hundred shots, not the case in Nikon. Btw: I have smaller hands and shorter fingers.
2. Canon is lighter but feel a bit plasticky. Nikon is heavier hence feels like it's better built. This is not the case for Nikon D40 and the Canon Rebel (not the xTi)..they both feel similar.
3. Canon has wider ranges of lenses to be had, but Nikon is catching up fast now (correct me if i am wrong here). Third party lenses are also very widely available. So lenses limitations concern shouldn't be the case now.

Here are some questions for yourself and wife that need to be reviewed:
1. What are her major object shots? Panorama?People?Details? This will drive the kind of lens she will need. Both Canon and Nikon have great options. My prime lens is the Nikon 50mm f1.4 since i like portraits and close ups pictures. I also use extension tubes since i can't afford the makro lens yet.
2. Is she going to print out anything from her photos? If she does, and the size of the print is like 4x6, then the 40D will have no problems.

Remember that the body doesn't matter as much as good collection of lenses and filters. The analogy is like this: you have a HD player but you don't have a true HDTV. You will not see great pictures. The second thing is that it is the eye of the artist (photographer) that can see great shot before actually taking it is the most important of all. Camera is just the mean to capture what he/she wants.

Conclusion: You can't go wrong with either Nikon or Canon (with a comparable specs). You just have to think about what lenses will be in your collections based on your shooting preferences. When your wife become a pro and wanting better camera, the camera body can be sold but the lenses will stay (consider it your investment).

Disclaimer: This is a personal opinion and I welcome any critics or comments.

Masak

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have used my canon digital rebel for years (the first rebel from canon) and just the other day, my brother was looking to buy his own SLR. of course, I told him to wait for the digital rebel Xsi (coming out in april).

apparently he was as impulsive as me, he bounced around the Nikon D40, D40x and the digital rebel xti. in the end, he ended up with the Nikon D60.

it's small, it's fast ... but I didn't tell him that I would still have preferred the xsi.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis