Total Eclipse tonight!!!!

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
I hope you guys/gals found time to watch the total eclipse tonight!! It was an absolute sight to behold!! The dark shades of red during totality were absolutely beautiful!! I recently bought a little pocket sized digital camera and I thought I'd try to take some pictures of the moon. After much experimenting with settings and many failed attempts.... I did manage to turn out some photos. It's my first digital camera so I'm not exactly an early adopter as it relates to photography....Hahahahah

This is while the eclipse was in progress. I wish I had another chance at this because I had the shutter speed set too fast to expose the eclipse progress properly. Once I finally figured out what I did wrong on these, I was in totality. (Clouds rolled in after totality and I missed my chance to take better ones as the moon exited from the shadow)

This is a partial eclipse shot...........

These are a couple at/near totality..............Saturn is to the lower left of the moon, and I believe that is Regulus above. Thanks 10010011 for straightening me out...LOL

Here is another......

All in all..... my little pocket cam did much better than expected. Especially for a non-photographer hack like myself....LOL

The best results were at 2 second shutter speeds. It's all my cheap little tripod could handle without blurring horribly. Even at that speed 3 out of 4 blurred....LOL I even tried up to 15 second exposures, but it blurred every time. (too much wind) The longer exposures really brought out the colors nicely.....to bad they didn't turn out!!

PS....it was FREEEEEZING outside!!

Last edited:

Senior Audioholic
Nice job!

The astronomy club I am a member of had a public viewing of this event here. Almost clouded out but by the time it got going it had cleared up nicely.

The brighter object down and to the left of the moon in your last two shots is the planet Saturn.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Nice job!

The astronomy club I am a member of had a public viewing of this event here. Almost clouded out but by the time it got going it had cleared up nicely.

The brighter object down and to the left of the moon in your last two shots is the planet Saturn.
Thank you.....

Geeeesh...... it's been so long since I've been out....the entire sky has rotated past and left me in the dust. Now that you mention it.... I did notice Orion and it was pretty far to the west for Castor and Pollux/Gemini to be near the moon tonight. I should have paid attention!! I was just focused on the moon. I guess that makes the star above the moon Regulus? .:eek:

I'll have to make an edit...

Last edited:
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
wow nice shots. I was tempted to take some pics as this happened past my daughters bedtime and she really wanted to see it but I figured they wouldn't come out well. Now I can show her these. Thanks Buckeye.

B

Buckeye_Nut

SWEEEET....I found a better/longer exposure of the eclipse in progress!! I was disappointed in the others because the shadow didn't expose, but you can see the partial eclipse well in this photo.

B

Buckeye_Nut

wow nice shots. I was tempted to take some pics as this happened past my daughters bedtime and she really wanted to see it but I figured they wouldn't come out well. Now I can show her these. Thanks Buckeye.
Thanks... I had a lot of fun taking them in spite of the 0 degree wind chill.:eek:

14°F
Feels Like
0°F................................. BRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Wow...nice pics Buck...
Here's what i got:

Not doing good job myself...:D

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
We took the Galileo telescope out and watched it... Pretty cool. I didn't think to stick my camera on it... dang!
I was about to get into my bedroom when my wife insist on enjoying the eclipse. Well, i took my tripod and camera out and set it outside. Once i look through the viewfinder, i was hooked. I took so many pics while i was outside..it's freezing cold though..Here's another one..

B

Buckeye_Nut

Wow...nice pics Buck...
Here's what i got:
Very nice! I especially like how you caught the shadow cleanly during the partial phases.

ME??....I had no idea what I was doing, and was lucky to capture anything at all. LOL

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
A lot of tries and errors Buck...lol...between the cold wind and peeking through the viewfinder, it is extremely difficult to adjust the manual focus. I used a remote control to release the shutter..(not the tv remote control mind you..:D)...Nikon has a remote control that sells for 5 bucks, nice and tiny...Thanks...

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
Nice Pictures! Unfortunately I was clouded out last night. I missed the Venus/Jupiter close conjunction and now the lunar eclipse due to clouds. Hopefully the skys will cooporate at the next lunar eclipse visible from North America in 2010.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I looked at it last night..... and I'm blind. :D :D

j/k :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I got to see it while I was in St. Louis. We were having dinner at Kobe restaraunt and we could see it out the window :) Very cool.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis