Woman sues Best Buy for $54 million

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This may be old news to some of you, but I first heard about this over the weekend. A woman is sueing Best Buy for $54 million because they sold her laptop computer instead of repairing it. It seems that it had sensitive personal info on it, like her income tax 1040 form :eek:, and BB repeatedly lied about why her computer was missing.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
LOL, Best Buy was too many steps behind. I bet they are kicking themselves now.

C

chadnliz

Senior Audioholic
She must be married to that Judge who sued the Dry Cleaner over his pants for over $100 Million.........BTW that judge is being removed from the bench.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I read about that.
That's funny in some ways.
But in other ways... many other ways.... really sucks.

Now the question will be... will she take another laptop to them???? :D

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I saw an interview with her and of course she said it's not about the money but rather the principle behind how she was treated and the potential issue of identity theft. That's all well and good but 54 million is quite a bit ridiculous.

The suit will go nowhere and her attorney was not at all impressive in the interview, in fact it seemed like he didn't have any rational explanation for the suit or the requested damages. All he sees is the potential for 1/3 of a giant settlement.

She was apparently compensated by Best Buy over and above the cost of the laptop. Potential identity theft from data left behind is a real concern but in no way rises to $54M. It's just your typical abuse of the legal system which will go nowhere.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I saw an interview with her and of course she said it's not about the money but rather the principle behind how she was treated and the potential issue of identity theft. That's all well and good but 54 million is quite a bit ridiculous.

The suit will go nowhere and her attorney was not at all impressive in the interview, in fact it seemed like he didn't have any rational explanation for the suit or the requested damages. All he sees is the potential for 1/3 of a giant settlement.

She was apparently compensated by Best Buy over and above the cost of the laptop. Potential identity theft from data left behind is a real concern but in no way rises to $54M. It's just your typical abuse of the legal system which will go nowhere.
Yes, $54 million seems excessive, but I don't think this is a typical abuse of the legal system at all.

The $54 million was deliberately chosen because of a previous lawsuit in the local Washington area that may not have gotten widespread attention. A local civil court judge sued a dry cleaning shop over the loss of a pair of pants worth no more than $250, but he sued them for $54 million. The case was eventually thrown out of court and this judge no longer has a job.

The woman with the laptop decided that $54 million was a sure way to get attention from the news media and generate bad publicity for Best Buy. They certainly deserve it. Whether this woman's laptop was sold deliberately or by accident is unclear now. There is some reason to believe that BB has done this before and may have an established pattern of selling used gear as if it were new. This is fraud and I think Best Buy deserves large punitive damages as well as boatloads of bad publicity.

Senior Audioholic
Yes, $54 million seems excessive, but I don't think this is a typical abuse of the legal system at all.

The $54 million was deliberately chosen because of a previous lawsuit in the local Washington area that may not have gotten widespread attention. A local civil court judge sued a dry cleaning shop over the loss of a pair of pants worth no more than $250, but he sued them for $54 million. The case was eventually thrown out of court and this judge no longer has a job.

The woman with the laptop decided that $54 million was a sure way to get attention from the news media and generate bad publicity for Best Buy. They certainly deserve it. Whether this woman's laptop was sold deliberately or by accident is unclear now. There is some reason to believe that BB has done this before and may have an established pattern of selling used gear as if it were new. This is fraud and I think Best Buy deserves large punitive damages as well as boatloads of bad publicity.
I would have to agree. The threat of being sued out of existence is the only thing that keeps huge corporations in check. In reality the money is a rather minor threat but the bad publicity that a huge lawsuit generates is the real threat.

This is why capping damages and other tort reform laws are bad for consumers and victims of negligence.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Sometimes the only way you get corporations to listen is by taking money out of there pockets by using class-action suits. They should pay to replace the laptop and a substantial amount for the potential identity theft, but not anywhere near $54 million for one person. She's no hero.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
You really have to show the company or person you are suing that you are serious about that or they will only treat you as a kid: "take that and stop whining".

My girlfriend fell rolleblading in ottawa and she is suing the city for 125K$. There is no other way. Other than that it's going to trail for years. It's never going to reach that amount for sure! At least we have a good lawyer! :p

majorloser

majorloser

When It's Important to You

Rely on the law offices of.....

Dewey, Cheatem & Howe

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord

$54,000,000 is way too much money. She should be fairly compensated for her computer and her time. The liars at BB should have their tongues cut out.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis