250 GB, 5400 RPM PS3 Hard Drive for $100!

Matt34

Matt34

For you computer smart people, would this work in my Dell XPS 1210 laptop? Right now I'm nearing the limits of the factory 80gig HD.

Don't let JohnD see that HD/toshiba comment.:p

Taifun

Taifun

Junior Audioholic
Matt,

Is your current drive SATA or IDE?

Also you will need to check if your laptop's BIOS/chipset can handle that size drive.

HTH

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
The XPS laptop does take a 2.5" SATA drive, so from that standpoint, yes it will work. You may still want to check the bios thing like the previous post recommended.

Matt34

Matt34

Matt,

Is your current drive SATA or IDE?

Also you will need to check if your laptop's BIOS/chipset can handle that size drive.

HTH
It's a SATA drive, I'll have to look and see if about the BIOS.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
of course it can handle that size drive, it's an XPS, besides 250 gig isn't all that big anymore, and I'm sure that laptop could have been ordered from the factory with a 250 gig HDD.

G

gus6464

Audioholic Samurai
of course it can handle that size drive, it's an XPS, besides 250 gig isn't all that big anymore, and I'm sure that laptop could have been ordered from the factory with a 250 gig HDD.
250GB is the max size you can get on a 2.5" hard drive.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I am wondering why you are adding another hard drive to your PS3. Is it for more storage for games or music? If it is for music you can use your wireless network (if you have one) to stream your music from your computer. Doing this might save you some money:)

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I am wondering why you are adding another hard drive to your PS3. Is it for more storage for games or music? If it is for music you can use your wireless network (if you have one) to stream your music from your computer. Doing this might save you some money:)
The games take up substantial room (saving and such) and just as well, the networking is very difficult to manage in my limited experience with the PS3.

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
The games take up substantial room (saving and such) and just as well, the networking is very difficult to manage in my limited experience with the PS3.
I do agree games take up a good amount of space, but my 60 gig still has a ton of room with 4 games and 10 demos. There is only one option that you have to awitch on your PS3 and a couple of options to switch on your computer.

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
I just can't leave stuff alone... I'm sure 60 gigs could last me quite a while, but I like the idea of having plenty of storage available, even though I may not need it right now. I've also got my eye on this Play TV deal... it's not available in the US yet, but I think it would make good use of the extra room.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/tag/PlayTV/

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
I just can't leave stuff alone... I'm sure 60 gigs could last me quite a while, but I like the idea of having plenty of storage available, even though I may not need it right now. I've also got my eye on this Play TV deal... it's not available in the US yet, but I think it would make good use of the extra room.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/tag/PlayTV/
I agree. I can't wait for that to come to the states. But technically if it is available on the computer it is also available on the PS3 using your network.

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
I agree. I can't wait for that to come to the states. But technically if it is available on the computer it is also available on the PS3 using your network.
Okay... (Warning! Dumb Question Coming!) How do I access things on my PC from the PS3? I'm currently networked via an ethernet cable, but could also go wireless. (for whatever reason, I figured a wired connection to the PS3 might be more consistent.) I thought I had a decent grasp of how a network worked, but I'm sure I'm missing something here...
My goal, and primary need for the extra PS3 storage is that I'd like to rip my CD collection (200 discs, tops) to the PS3 and begin a music library.(...Not "PRON":D) I have a fair amount of music already on my PC (iTunes), but I did not realize I could access them from the Playstation... I thought I had to start over...
Since some of my discs are SACD's, I have to assume we're not ripping to the PS3 in the MP3 format, since I don't think MP3's can handle multi channel audio tracks. (Another reason I thought I might need more storage.)
Once again, these are just assumptions on my part, so I could be way wrong. Yes... I know what they say about assuming... Thanks in advance for any insight.

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Okay... (Warning! Dumb Question Coming!) How do I access things on my PC from the PS3? I'm currently networked via an ethernet cable, but could also go wireless. (for whatever reason, I figured a wired connection to the PS3 might be more consistent.) I thought I had a decent grasp of how a network worked, but I'm sure I'm missing something here...
My goal, and primary need for the extra PS3 storage is that I'd like to rip my CD collection (200 discs, tops) to the PS3 and begin a music library.(...Not "PRON":D) I have a fair amount of music already on my PC (iTunes), but I did not realize I could access them from the Playstation... I thought I had to start over...
Since some of my discs are SACD's, I have to assume we're not ripping to the PS3 in the MP3 format, since I don't think MP3's can handle multi channel audio tracks. (Another reason I thought I might need more storage.)
Once again, these are just assumptions on my part, so I could be way wrong. Yes... I know what they say about assuming... Thanks in advance for any insight.
Not sure about mac owners, but the best way for PC users is to use windows media player 11, go to library and enable sharing then you can see it as a media server from the PS3. Then from the PC you are on, just add the folders that have pics, music, and videos that you want to share, and you can see them from the PS3.

H

hifisyd01

Audioholic Intern
Not sure about mac owners, but the best way for PC users is to use windows media player 11, go to library and enable sharing then you can see it as a media server from the PS3. Then from the PC you are on, just add the folders that have pics, music, and videos that you want to share, and you can see them from the PS3.
Thanks! I did this early this morning and it worked like a charm. Now I just need to import my files from iTunes and Picasa into Meida Player and I'll be good to go! Thanks again for the advice! :cool:

N

nick1000000

Full Audioholic
Damn, he beat me to it. But yes he is correct. I do it for the fact that I don't have to double up my storage. Although having lots of backups for CD's and movies is a good idea.

Isn't it obvious? PR0N
It works the same way! If for some crazy reason there is pron on the computer it will stream over just like the music will. But no one wants to do that!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis