Sunshine on Blu-ray

D

D.R. Payne

Audioholic
I took a chance and bought the BD without seeing it, I am not sorry. This was a great movie. The reviews had led me to believe there would be a bit more Physics in the plot, but it was really a good film even if you are not typically into sci-fi.

Lightning Steve

Lightning Steve

Audioholic
I was going to watch this the other night, but wasn't sure, I will have to watch it now.

A

AdrianMills

Full Audioholic
I expected a B movie with a crappy script wrapped up in Hollywood glitz but I was more than pleasantly surprised. Good script, acting and special effects and an ending which was well executed.

Recommended.

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I just watched "Sunshine" tonight via vpn from a friend from 30 miles away, and aside from a few glitches from him using his media system, I only had a few glitches. Even for having the audio compressed to mp3 the sound was astounding, this is one film I will with out a doubt be purchasing on dvd.

My wife did get kinda bored with the tempo of the movie and fell asleep, but myself and the kids were rather glued to it. imdb.com seemed to catergorize it as an independant film which I believe is true due to the fact that I never heard of it being in the theaters, which if it had come here, I would have been there to see it. Great cinematics, and well above average script writing, yet quite accurate except for the fact that there would never have been a communications black out, but besides that, it was a great film.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
This movie was excellent with a great sense of pace and dread. I didn't know when I initially rented it that it is directed by the same guy who did the original "28 Days Later". My girlfriend and I just watched it and we were literally on the edge of our seats the whole way through, really good panning special effects too. DTS-HD sounded quite nice, LFE wasn't overly pronounced as is wont in a lot of sci-fi films. My only complaint: this BD took a LONG time to boot up and menu navigation was painfully slow; I don't know if it was just general incompatibility with my player or the disc itself, but there it is nonetheless.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
It's on my Netflix list. It's gotten generally good reviews, though some people complain about the ending.

But it's got Michelle Yeoh, so that's enough for me. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I thought Sunshine BD was awesome. My subwoofer got a good workout.:D

R

Ron Temple

Senior Audioholic
I rented the DVD on Tues...watched it, but it froze my Oppo during the climax...took it back and got the BD. We'll watch it tomorrow. I liked the first 2/3rds, but have read about the end and really don't like the direction it took. It was good SciFi and I'm tired of the "horror in space" cliche. Hopefully, it won't disappoint as much as I think it will.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
I bought this movie on Bluray based on the reviews here. Unfortunately I didn't like this movie very well. I didn't think the story was very good and this movie had far too much LFE in it (too much base for my tastes). Also, the Sun's thermonuclear lifetime of hydrogen burning in its core will last approximately 5 billion years more, it's not going to stop within a few hundred or even thousand years. One would not be able to reignite the proton-proton chain in the Sun by setting off either an atomic or thermonuclear bomb. When the Sun runs out of hydrogen fuel in its core, the core goes out of hydrostatic equilibrium and begins to contract. This collapsing helium core gets hotter as it collapses which ignites the hydrogen-rich shell just above it. The energy for this H-burning shell dumps energy into the outer envelope which causes the outer layers of the Sun to expand. As the outer layers expand, they cool (even though the core is collapsing and heating up) -- the star becomes a red giant star. Finally, it takes approximately 1 million years for the photons generated by the nuclear reactions in the core to reach the outer layers of the Sun (the opacity is really high inside the Sun). Even if the thermonuclear reactions could magically stop, the Sun's luminosity (i.e., brightness) would not drop -- no change would be seen for about 1 million years (of course the neutrino flux would immediately drop off since neutrinos do not interact with matter very easily, but that wouldn't affect the visible light output). There were numerous other science problems with this movie which I could forgive if the story was better.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
There were numerous other science problems with this movie which I could forgive if the story was better.
Geez, way to spoil the fun with all your logic Mr. Wizard. :D

As the funny T-shirt says, "I reject your logic and insert my own."

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
I bought this movie on Bluray based on the reviews here. Unfortunately I didn't like this movie very well.
I'm with Astrodon on this one. I also bought it on BD and didn't like it much. I thought the plot dragged on, the essential conflicts seemed contrived and the psycho guy that talks to God from the first ship, I don't know what to say except lame. Don't get me wrong. Sci-fi is my favorite genre and I watch a lot of bad sci-fi, which is the proper category for this movie.

Oh, and it does include my biggest pet-peeve. Outstanding sound effects when the show the view of the spacecraft from the exterior. But sound doesn't travel in space. Any exterior shots should be silent. Never mind gravity issues. They're using centripetal force to generate artificial gravity, but are unaffected by gravity as they enter the corona sphere of the sun? Even Andromeda tries to account for the gravity of suns.

(And speaking of Andromeda, has anybody noticed how much the girl on the AH store's pages looks like Rommie?)

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
I'm with Astrodon on this one. I also bought it on BD and didn't like it much. I thought the plot dragged on, the essential conflicts seemed contrived and the psycho guy that talks to God from the first ship, I don't know what to say except lame. Don't get me wrong. Sci-fi is my favorite genre and I watch a lot of bad sci-fi, which is the proper category for this movie.

Oh, and it does include my biggest pet-peeve. Outstanding sound effects when the show the view of the spacecraft from the exterior. But sound doesn't travel in space. Any exterior shots should be silent. Never mind gravity issues. They're using centripetal force to generate artificial gravity, but are unaffected by gravity as they enter the corona sphere of the sun? Even Andromeda tries to account for the gravity of suns.

(And speaking of Andromeda, has anybody noticed how much the girl on the AH store's pages looks like Rommie?)
Excellent points Dave. However in terms of the Sun's gravity, it is unlikely they would have experienced it since it appears they are in free fall into the Sun (it's the same thing for astronauts in Earth orbit, they are weightless since they are in free fall). It also appears that their bomb only goes off in the surface convection zone of the Sun. It's a long way from there to the Sun's center where the fusion is taking place.

astrodon

astrodon

Audioholic
Of course once they got to the lower parts of the Sun's atmosphere (i.e., surface layers), say about the chromosphere and especially in the photosphere, the deceleration they would have felt from frictional drag would be very great (at least 20 g and likely a lot higher) which would have killed any occupants at that point (not to mention the high temperature -- once your in the Sun's atmosphere, it doesn't matter if you have a heat shield in front of you, it's hot in all 4 pi steradians around the ship).

Geno

Geno

Senior Audioholic
Of course once they got to the lower parts of the Sun's atmosphere (i.e., surface layers), say about the chromosphere and especially in the photosphere, the deceleration they would have felt from frictional drag would be very great (at least 20 g and likely a lot higher) which would have killed any occupants at that point (not to mention the high temperature -- once your in the Sun's atmosphere, it doesn't matter if you have a heat shield in front of you, it's hot in all 4 pi steradians around the ship).
OK, OK, sheesh. Next you'll be telling us that Star Wars isn't real!:rolleyes:

Matt34

Matt34

OK, OK, sheesh. Next you'll be telling us that Star Wars isn't real!:rolleyes:
LOL, man I hope I never have to watch a Sci-fi movie at that guy's house.

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
LOL, man I hope I never have to watch a Sci-fi movie at that guy's house.
Which guy, Astrodon or Geno?:confused:

I'd love to watch sci-fi with Astrodon. When he finds a rather complex point of physics to point out, there's always the pause or rewind button to get back to the movie.

Matt34

Matt34

I bought this movie on Bluray based on the reviews here. Unfortunately I didn't like this movie very well. I didn't think the story was very good and this movie had far too much LFE in it (too much base for my tastes). Also, the Sun's thermonuclear lifetime of hydrogen burning in its core will last approximately 5 billion years more, it's not going to stop within a few hundred or even thousand years. One would not be able to reignite the proton-proton chain in the Sun by setting off either an atomic or thermonuclear bomb. When the Sun runs out of hydrogen fuel in its core, the core goes out of hydrostatic equilibrium and begins to contract. This collapsing helium core gets hotter as it collapses which ignites the hydrogen-rich shell just above it. The energy for this H-burning shell dumps energy into the outer envelope which causes the outer layers of the Sun to expand. As the outer layers expand, they cool (even though the core is collapsing and heating up) -- the star becomes a red giant star. Finally, it takes approximately 1 million years for the photons generated by the nuclear reactions in the core to reach the outer layers of the Sun (the opacity is really high inside the Sun). Even if the thermonuclear reactions could magically stop, the Sun's luminosity (i.e., brightness) would not drop -- no change would be seen for about 1 million years (of course the neutrino flux would immediately drop off since neutrinos do not interact with matter very easily, but that wouldn't affect the visible light output). There were numerous other science problems with this movie which I could forgive if the story was better.

Mr. Wizard

:p

D

Dezoris

Audioholic
I just like keeping the film-makers honest!
Then I have to poke a hole in your logic, sorry.

How do you keep film makers honest when they are making, "science fiction?"

The visuals of this movie and the overall tone is very good.
Captures the idea of space and how small we are as people.
The special effects are great, the sound is very good and overall this was a very under rated movie. A good choice as a BluRay movie.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis